• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Home Office leaked document...

pickledseal

cowboy
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8642404.stm

Pretty outrageous in my opinion. I know aspects are funny as they are so ridiculous, but to have this written down as 'background document' to a Whitehall/Downing Street meeting, I find a little offensive not just to Catholics but to all faith groups.

I guess us Catholics, and us religious as a whole, just get used to the bad press...

Pretty outrageous in my opinion. I know aspects are funny as they are so ridiculous, but to have this written down as 'background document' to a Whitehall/Downing Street meeting, I find a little offensive not just to Catholics but to all faith groups.

I guess us Catholics, and us religious as a whole, just get used to the bad press...
Oh we Pagans have had that for centuries for now ... no idea who started that *cough*

The Papacy is guilty though for millions of deaths in Africa due to it's antiquated ideas on contraception.

I didn't write this, but it's apologetic I've used before in school:

The Catholic Church is committed to 'safe sex' and it is through chastity and not condoms that sexual safety is guaranteed. Condoms cannot guarantee 'safe sex' because they do not give total protection either against HIV/AIDS or many other STD's (sexually transmitted diseases). This is widely and openly admitted in scientific circles. In numerous studies condoms have consistently been found to fail. In 1989, a US study conducted at UCLA found that 'more than one in every 200 failed, either allowing water or air to escape, breaking in tensile strength tests or leaking the AIDS virus.' Other scientific studies have put the failure rates at higher. A study in 1992 by Carey and associates found that 'HIV particles leaked through 29 of 89 commercially purchased latex condoms in simulated intercourse.' The World Health Organisation found that 'consistent and correct' condom use reduces the risk of HIV infection by 90%. But that amounts to a 10% failure rate with the virus getting through. Another study, by the International Planned Parenthood Federation (one of the biggest providers of contraceptives and abortion in the world), gives an even higher failure rate at 30%.

On the basis of this evidence it is reasonable to conclude that the use of condoms does not guarantee that the HIV virus will not be passed on. There is therefore no such thing as 'safe sex' when a condom is used and according to Dr. Helen Singer-Kaplan of Cornell University Medical Centre: 'Counting on condoms is flirting with death.' The material from which condoms are made (latex) deteriorates with age and also when exposed to extremely hot and cold conditions. Pores are a problem in a certain percentage of condoms but the main danger with them is breakage or slippage. According to a study in 1996 by Contraceptive Technology which tested 25,184 condoms used during heterosexual intercourse, 4.64% of all condoms tested broke and 3.44% of them either partially or completely slipped off, giving a total of 8.08% or 1 in 12 condoms that failed.

It should be clear by now that it is not the Catholic Church that is irresponsible in opposing the widespread distribution of condoms to tackle the AIDS crisis, but rather it is those governmental agencies and organisations through their vigorous promotion and distribution of condoms who are acting irresponsibly. Total protection against AIDS cannot come from condoms and promoting them as if they guaranteed 'safe sex' is a dangerous lie. Condoms, at best, provide 'safer sex' but without the 100% guarantee that one will be safe. But there is a 'safe sex' programme that does guarantee total protection against all STD's. It is proposed by the Catholic Church and according to the World Health Organisation (WHO), it is a programme that is capable of eliminating the rick of infection from HIV and other STD's. Its called chastity...

----
Isn't this :offtopic: ? ;)

----
Yes but that is horrible . Me i would have had a go at the concept of original sin persecution of women and the covering up of paedophile priest caused by the idea that chasity in anyway is natural or worth doing or the repression of homosexuality .

Plus he was a Nazi (sort of )(sorry pickled Christians are great in the main (just stop trying to convert people some of as are real happy ) , just The Holy Roman Empire naah , those Byzantine lot are rather pleasant, Plymouth breathern , Quakers (great porridge)

Apparently the civil servant responsible has been moved from his position.

Promoted hopefully.

BTW anyone else think that this is designed to make the Catholic Church look bad?

I'm not just talking about the crackpot policies that the Catholic Church clings onto from the Dark Ages, but the contrast behind the accountability of a modern, rational democracy in which the individuals responsible for minor mistakes are publicly published as composed to the secrecy and cover-ups of far more serious errors that the Catholic Church continually indulges in?

BTW anyone else think that this is designed to make the Catholic Church look bad?

I'm not just talking about the crackpot policies that the Catholic Church clings onto from the Dark Ages, but the contrast behind the accountability of a modern, rational democracy in which the individuals responsible for minor mistakes are publicly published as composed to the secrecy and cover-ups of far more serious errors that the Catholic Church continually indulges in?

Not really , they have done it selfs so well no one else has to .

The cover ups come from the fact they adhere to rigidly to catholic dogma. Its not as if we can really say democracy in teh cover up stakes or personal responsibility stakes is much better .

Perhaps they didn't know the Pope was catholic?

I didn't write this, but it's apologetic I've used before in school:

The Catholic Church is committed to 'safe sex' and it is through chastity and not condoms that sexual safety is guaranteed. Condoms cannot guarantee 'safe sex' because they do not give total protection either against HIV/AIDS or many other STD's (sexually transmitted diseases). This is widely and openly admitted in scientific circles. In numerous studies condoms have consistently been found to fail. In 1989, a US study conducted at UCLA found that 'more than one in every 200 failed, either allowing water or air to escape, breaking in tensile strength tests or leaking the AIDS virus.' Other scientific studies have put the failure rates at higher. A study in 1992 by Carey and associates found that 'HIV particles leaked through 29 of 89 commercially purchased latex condoms in simulated intercourse.' The World Health Organisation found that 'consistent and correct' condom use reduces the risk of HIV infection by 90%. But that amounts to a 10% failure rate with the virus getting through. Another study, by the International Planned Parenthood Federation (one of the biggest providers of contraceptives and abortion in the world), gives an even higher failure rate at 30%.

On the basis of this evidence it is reasonable to conclude that the use of condoms does not guarantee that the HIV virus will not be passed on. There is therefore no such thing as 'safe sex' when a condom is used and according to Dr. Helen Singer-Kaplan of Cornell University Medical Centre: 'Counting on condoms is flirting with death.' The material from which condoms are made (latex) deteriorates with age and also when exposed to extremely hot and cold conditions. Pores are a problem in a certain percentage of condoms but the main danger with them is breakage or slippage. According to a study in 1996 by Contraceptive Technology which tested 25,184 condoms used during heterosexual intercourse, 4.64% of all condoms tested broke and 3.44% of them either partially or completely slipped off, giving a total of 8.08% or 1 in 12 condoms that failed.

It should be clear by now that it is not the Catholic Church that is irresponsible in opposing the widespread distribution of condoms to tackle the AIDS crisis, but rather it is those governmental agencies and organisations through their vigorous promotion and distribution of condoms who are acting irresponsibly. Total protection against AIDS cannot come from condoms and promoting them as if they guaranteed 'safe sex' is a dangerous lie. Condoms, at best, provide 'safer sex' but without the 100% guarantee that one will be safe. But there is a 'safe sex' programme that does guarantee total protection against all STD's. It is proposed by the Catholic Church and according to the World Health Organisation (WHO), it is a programme that is capable of eliminating the rick of infection from HIV and other STD's. Its called chastity...

----

Pretty disappointed to hear myopic crap like that is being spouted to kids in our schools. :nope:

Then again, if child abuse and genocide in Africa are acceptable, then who gives a **** what the Catholic Church has to say about anything? If Santa Claus heard about the memo...oh well.

Back