• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Homegrown XI

Thurgood wasn't homegrown. He was at Spurs and we signed him from Japan.

.......................Bentley
Bwomono Prior Clark Edinburgh
.......Pennyfather Kamara
.........Kightly Yearwood Taylor
........................Kelman

Subs Bishop, Edwards, Roget, Ferdinand, Woodyard, Payne, Brown

Not including the likes of Iorfa Jr, Cameron John, Isaac Hayden who moved on before appearing in the first team

Watching videos of us getting promoted at Peterborough reminds me Paul Smith should supplant Woodyard on the bench. He showed flashes at Roots Hall and went onto have a very solid career.

So now something more like

Bentley

Elvis
Prior
Roget
Edinburgh

Yearwood
Woodyard

Taylor
Payne
Kightly

Kelman

I missed anyone?

A lot of them are very recent, shows we are doing something right. I've only included ones the came straight through our set up into our first team, so no Kamara, Eastwood etc.
Andy Edwards I haven't included because he came from Spam

So now something more like

Bentley

Elvis
Prior
Roget
Edinburgh

Yearwood
Woodyard

Taylor
Payne
Kightly

Kelman

I missed anyone?

A lot of them are very recent, shows we are doing something right. I've only included ones the came straight through our set up into our first team, so no Kamara, Eastwood etc.
Andy Edwards I haven't included because he came from Spam
Surely there is room in your midfield for Paul Clark and Steve Tilson? Possibly Glen Pennyfather as well.
And with all respect to young Kelman, I think Gary Nelson would get in above him based on achievements so far.

Surely there is room in your midfield for Paul Clark and Steve Tilson? Possibly Glen Pennyfather as well.
And with all respect to young Kelman, I think Gary Nelson would get in above him based on achievements so far.
Clark and Nelson were before my time. Tilson I'm not counting coz we got home from Witham, but would absolutely get in there otherwise coz he's a legend

Others no-one has mentioned, not really youth but homegrown at least!

Joe Sibley - 8 seasons at Southend before joining Newcastle, then came back to us in 1950. Over 200 appearances for us.

Frank Dudley (local, impressed in war games, signed for us at the age of 19, then transferred to Leeds for record 10k in 1949, then had a decent career before retiring back in Southend)

Next seasons starting line up.

I know the thread was really meant for your BEST homegrown XI but it's going to be a big season for them next year. I thank them in advance for their effort. Some of them might make it on to a best homegrown XI one day but right now they're a very important homegrown XI.

Albert Frost and Ernie Emery, who played in the 1906/7 season, came from Southend Corinthians and Leigh Ramblers respectively

Frankie Banks also came from the youth team.
He certainly did played in the southend united colts as they were named back then in the youth league there 1961/62,also was the first ever youth international tournament Southend United conducted,had youth teams from Sparta Rotterdam,Borussia Moenchengladbach ,Arsenal, West Ham playing in the tournament ,all told 8 teams.How can i remember this because i played in it also .

Back