• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Homegrown XI

I saw one on twitter but fancied doing it on here. Here's my first go

Bentley

Elvis
Prior
Roget
Edwards
Edinburgh

Yearwood
Thurgood

Payne

Kelman
Crawford

What do you think? Can you improve on that? I haven't put any of this seasons breakthroughs in because it's too early. I've tried to be pretty strict about who is eligible, so no Freddy Eastwood, even though he was with us as a kid, no Hutchinson.
thoughts?

Thurgood wasn't homegrown. He was at Spurs and we signed him from Japan.

.......................Bentley
Bwomono Prior Clark Edinburgh
.......Pennyfather Kamara
.........Kightly Yearwood Taylor
........................Kelman

Subs Bishop, Edwards, Roget, Ferdinand, Woodyard, Payne, Brown

Not including the likes of Iorfa Jr, Cameron John, Isaac Hayden who moved on before appearing in the first team

The problem about a thread like this is where you start in selecting players. As others have said, Bobby Kellard and Peter Taylor should both feature and if we go back a bit further, then so should Les Stubbs.

How about John Walker?
Not only home grown but never played for any other professional or non league club apart from Southend.
A true one club man, we have not had many of those in our history, infact can't think of another.

The problem about a thread like this is where you start in selecting players. As others have said, Bobby Kellard and Peter Taylor should both feature and if we go back a bit further, then so should Les Stubbs.

Could you count Les Stubbs as homegrown as he started off at Great Wakering Rovers.

Tut tut. Obviously no one on here got the last Southend United programme against Bristol Rovers where I had an article selecting my "best" regional Southend XIs over the years.
I picked from 5 regions, South Essex, London, North-East, Scotland and Republic of Ireland (their places of birth).
I only went back to 1967, my first year of going to Roots Hall.

For the record, my South Essex team was

Bentley
Pennyfather
Edinburgh
Barrett
Prior
Tilson
Clark
Hadley
Harris
Nelson
Taylor

Note I am aware Neil Harris was not "home-grown", but he was born and brought up locally.

Did Stubbs go from Southend to Chelsea then back again to Southend.

Did Stubbs go from Southend to Chelsea then back again to Southend.
Yep after Chelsea he came back to Southend for two years and then Bedford Town and finally GWR again where it all started. That was where I came across him when we played GWR. He and Barry Beadle were a bloody nightmare to play against.

Yep after Chelsea he came back to Southend for two years and then Bedford Town and finally GWR again where it all started. That was where I came across him when we played GWR. He and Barry Beadle were a bloody nightmare to play against.
Yep i played for GWR, but only managed the 2nd team. The 1st team at that time was hard to get into. Players like stan nichols, mick Goridge and of course Barry Beadle and L Stubbs. Anyway thanks for putting me right on Stubbs.

Reactions: RHB
Yep i played for GWR, but only managed the 2nd team. The 1st team at that time was hard to get into. Players like stan nichols, mick Goridge and of course Barry Beadle and L Stubbs. Anyway thanks for putting me right on Stubbs.
Couple more names there I had forgotten about.

I played a game against GWR back in the day and their strike force was Les and his son - I still have the bruises

Back