• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Homeschoolers

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
Because I’m on furlough and the wife is a key worker that means I have taken on the mantle of teacher for my 4 children. (Im not very at it either!)

Now my youngest isn’t too much of a concern because he’s only in nursery so he’s easy. My 6 year old the school have been really good and sent a lot of stuff over for them and get websites for their age.

It’s my 11 year olds that are the problem. They are year 6 and the school have given up. They use the ‘Google Drive’ to upload home work etc, they said they would be putting work on for them to do. They put a little bit on for the Easter holidays and that it!

Anyone else having the same issue with the schools not giving work? Any ideas of good sites to get worksheets etc. Preferably one you don’t have to pay for. I’ve been using bite size but I would rather have worksheets to give my son.

BBC Bitesize was always very good, we used to use it for revision when I was working in school.

Let me know if you're still stuck as one of my closest friends is a y6 teacher and may be able to advise.

Aren't there also practice SATs papers about online somewhere?

BBC Bitesize was always very good, we used to use it for revision when I was working in school.

Let me know if you're still stuck as one of my closest friends is a y6 teacher and may be able to advise.

Saw a piece on Bitesize on C4 news the other night.Looked good.

Because I’m on furlough and the wife is a key worker that means I have taken on the mantle of teacher for my 4 children. (Im not very at it either!)

Now my youngest isn’t too much of a concern because he’s only in nursery so he’s easy. My 6 year old the school have been really good and sent a lot of stuff over for them and get websites for their age.

It’s my 11 year olds that are the problem. They are year 6 and the school have given up. They use the ‘Google Drive’ to upload home work etc, they said they would be putting work on for them to do. They put a little bit on for the Easter holidays and that it!

Anyone else having the same issue with the schools not giving work? Any ideas of good sites to get worksheets etc. Preferably one you don’t have to pay for. I’ve been using bite size but I would rather have worksheets to give my son.

We've got the opposite problem with my eldest. He's in year 7 and has so much work it's nigh on impossible to keep on top of it all. I feel for my wife because she's bearing the brunt of it. I'm upstairs in the study working (until the end of tomorrow when my contract runs out) and she's trying to organise his work. Add to that the fact that he's lazy and hates work and she's really got her work cut out.

Our youngest is in year 5 and his work seems to be going pretty well. He's also the kind of kid that likes doing homework so he's really easy. His teacher also called yesterday to see how he's getting on. The school seem to have got the balance just about right.

As for BBC Bitesize. There are some people that argue that the BBC shouldn't be spending our license fee money on things like that (and the BBC Good Food, for example) and if they stopped producing this kind of stuff then the license fee could be reduced. (After all, it's not their core business and they shouldn't be doing it.) However, I would argue that these people can **** off because BBC Bitesize is worth every penny. I would thoroughly recommend it...

Last edited:
Also, lots of sites that are normally paid are free now, Twinkl are excellent and just from a quick Google I found this

I tried Twinkl but wasn’t too keen on some the stuff maybe I should delve deeper.

I feel like because it’s not looking like they will be going back they’ve just given up on them. One of their teachers on their ‘google drive’ enjoys telling the kids about all the work he is doing with his kids. Yet he is producing **** all for the kids in his class. Personally I think he’s ****ing useless and has been the worst teacher my son has ever had.

My daughter of the same age is fine she can get on, but I can’t leave him on the computer because he doesn’t do the work and just ****s about. Which is why I want some worksheets to print out for him to physically do.

We've got the opposite problem with my eldest. He's in year 7 and has so much work it's nigh on impossible to keep on top of it all. I feel for my wife because she's bearing the brunt of it. I'm upstairs in the study working (until the end of tomorrow when my contract runs out) and she's trying to organise his work. Add to that the fact that he's lazy and hates work and she's really got her work cut out.

Our youngest is in year 5 and his work seems to be going pretty well. He's also the kind of kid that likes doing homework so he's really easy. His teacher also called yesterday to see how he's getting on. The school seem to have got the balance just about right.

As for BBC Bitesize. There are some people that argue that the BBC shouldn't be spending our license fee money on things like that (and the BBC Good Food, for example) and if they stopped producing this kind of stuff then the license fee could be reduced. (After all, it's not their core business and they shouldn't be doing it.) However, I would argue that these people can **** off because BBC Bitesize is worth every penny. I would thoroughly recommend it...

My niece is in year 8 and having the same issue she is getting bombarded with work. If it’s not completed they my sister gets a phone call from the school asking why it’s not being done!

Thanks Kay, I found the practice SATs papers and they will keep him busy for a bit.

Ive just downloaded that pack! What a crock of ****! Everything in that pack is exactly what the teacher has put on their ‘google drive’ for them to do! Brilliant! Lazy prick.
BBC bitesize

I'm pulling my hair out somewhat. Trying to get MK Jnr to concentrate is tough when all she'd rather do is play Minecraft or Roblox. :Facepalm:

I'm pulling my hair out somewhat. Trying to get MK Jnr to concentrate is tough when all she'd rather do is play Minecraft or Roblox. :Facepalm:

How old is she now? Jesus Roblox I cannot stand that ****e they play.

8 nearly 9.

If it's not those games, it's playing with cat, chatting to her friends. Roll on the day they go back.

I know mate I cannot wait, I’m not cut out for this teaching ****! I doff my cap to all the teachers out there they have the patience of saints.

The government have been promoting the lessons from this website so you might want to have a look there to see what they're like -

I'm not sure if they'll be any use to you but here's another couple that you may want to have a look at -

My son is year 5 and gets set tasks by his teacher each day but I have the same issue getting him to focus and concentrate. I’ve started to leave it at 2 hrs a day, we do the Joe Wicks and we go out for exercise, usually a walk to Chalkwell Park each day. Then I let him choose what he wants to do (draw, read, or one of those devices .. it makes him happy, just have to limit the screen time).
It’s tough for them and I think more so the longer it goes on. To be fair his teacher has been great at staying in touch and messaging via the online portal. I just find if their mind really isn’t on schoolwork, don’t force it, we aren’t teachers and they’ll be absolutely fine once they get back. Just my two pennyworth anyway!

Hats off to you all as it must be a tough job especially if you're also working from home.
Great job guys!
Something i've observed is how the older young people have taken to the situation and stuck to it ,Has to be tough not catching up with your mates,credit where its due despite bad press they have behaved better than a lot of adults.

@Ricey if that is pretty much what your teacher has provided then email in to the school and request better provision. Certainly I know the schools around here are doing much better than that!

Being year 6, it's vital the education standards don't slip too far as they will be very much behind going into secondary education otherwise.

As others have said, BBC Bitesize is excellent and they would be doing SATs stuff now anyway if they were in, loads of practice papers every day - just make sure you vary it.

Glad to see they're still doing this, though technology has taken things further! We did this with a famous picture when my kids were in school - the one I remember was Holbein's The Ambassadors - the kids loved finding the hidden skull!

Back