• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Homeschoolers

My son is year 5 and gets set tasks by his teacher each day but I have the same issue getting him to focus and concentrate. I’ve started to leave it at 2 hrs a day, we do the Joe Wicks and we go out for exercise, usually a walk to Chalkwell Park each day. Then I let him choose what he wants to do (draw, read, or one of those devices .. it makes him happy, just have to limit the screen time).
It’s tough for them and I think more so the longer it goes on. To be fair his teacher has been great at staying in touch and messaging via the online portal. I just find if their mind really isn’t on schoolwork, don’t force it, we aren’t teachers and they’ll be absolutely fine once they get back. Just my two pennyworth anyway!

I agree, but when you have a wife pushing for them to do all of this work it doesn’t help. Easy for her to say do all this when she is the one not homeschooling!

It’s my 11 year olds that are the problem. They are year 6 and the school have given up. They use the ‘Google Drive’ to upload home work etc, they said they would be putting work on for them to do. They put a little bit on for the Easter holidays and that it!

Anyone else having the same issue with the schools not giving work? Any ideas of good sites to get worksheets etc. Preferably one you don’t have to pay for. I’ve been using bite size but I would rather have worksheets to give my son.

Here's another couple of websites that may be of some use to you. They've got plenty of resources and worksheets for you to have a look at -

Here's another couple of websites that may be of some use to you. They've got plenty of resources and worksheets for you to have a look at -

Thank you, and thank you to everyone else for the other tips. Hopefully these sites will help others in the same position.

Here's a nice little fun science experiment for your kids involving lego and balloons

I found the Oak National Academy website was very good, the kids seemed to enjoy it.

I found the Oak National Academy website was very good, the kids seemed to enjoy it.

Yes this the Oak National site is very good, you can plug them into that and get on with work for 20 mins - this has been a real life saver when i need to go on a conf call.

I found Twinkl good but the free stuff is limited.

I have also been using White Rose Maths for my Year1 daughter - but they have other age groups, some videos to watch & then some print offs to do.

Anyone else' alcohol intake increased significantly while on lockdown & homeschooling?

Yes this the Oak National site is very good, you can plug them into that and get on with work for 20 mins - this has been a real life saver when i need to go on a conf call.

I found Twinkl good but the free stuff is limited.

I have also been using White Rose Maths for my Year1 daughter - but they have other age groups, some videos to watch & then some print offs to do.

Anyone else' alcohol intake increased significantly while on lockdown & homeschooling?

Yes massively! I have been drinking a lot of Port!

Funny enough I’m not a big home drinker so I’m now on day 27 of no booze whatsoever! It’ll probably remain that way till they reopen the pubs (if they ever do!) ..

Back