• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Honeymoon reading

Pubey

With the wedding just around the corner, I want to pick up a stack of books to take with me on honeymoon.

Any suggestions? I want some great 'holiday books', set in a foreign country like The Beach or Shantaram... something to get your teeth into. As we're going to Sri Lanka and the Maldives anything set in that part of the world would be a bonus, along with anything Mrs Pubey might enjoy too.

I was thinking of the Count of Monte Cristo...

Plenty of green to give for serious suggestions!

I went for the new Terry Pratchett on my Honeymoon, the football one, but it wasn't actually very good. Got stuck between plot-lines and never found its feet. If you do fancy some Pratchett, I'd highly recommend Going Postal, which is one of his best.

To be honest though, if I'm lying on a beach there's only one thing I want to read and that's a great big book about war. I have no idea why. Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy is one of my all time favourite holiday books. That or Stephen Ambroses' Band of Brothers should bury the needle your bloke-o-meter.

Not much of a glamorous setting, but I've just started The Lovely Bones and it comes highly recommended...

Readers' Wives / Razzle

I took a bit of Louis de Bernieres on my honeymoon, and enjoyed it. He can sometimes take 10 pages to describe what would take another author one page, but it's still lovely stuff.

Futebol by Alex Bellos is a cracking footy read about Brazilian football. It's almost as good a sporting title as Football Fables by that Macintosh fella.

;)

I went for the new Terry Pratchett on my Honeymoon, the football one, but it wasn't actually very good. Got stuck between plot-lines and never found its feet. If you do fancy some Pratchett, I'd highly recommend Going Postal, which is one of his best.

To be honest though, if I'm lying on a beach there's only one thing I want to read and that's a great big book about war. I have no idea why. Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy is one of my all time favourite holiday books. That or Stephen Ambroses' Band of Brothers should bury the needle your bloke-o-meter.

I found that as well , i actually think it was the Subject matter . I'd disagree with Slipp and say Reaper Man or Mort are probably his best (and funniest).
Maybe Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance ?

Am i the only one that thinks the words books and honeymoon just do not go together.
You have just been joined together for life with your one ture love and soulmate and you are in a beautiful country with a beautiful woman and you want to read a poxy book,time and place,time and place.

Sorry, can't help you here. On my honeymoon I was too busy to read! I spent most of my time diving if you know what I mean...

...SCUBA diving. My wife and I completed our PADIs.

Am i the only one that thinks the words books and honeymoon just do not go together.
You have just been joined together for life with your one ture love and soulmate and you are in a beautiful country with a beautiful woman and you want to read a poxy book,time and place,time and place.

Kind of agree, or at least if you must read, then something light and fun or a revisit to old favourites.

strangely when I read the OP those very same publications came to my mind.

I would enquire where are you heading to need books on a honeymoon

Because we both enjoy reading when lounging on a beach working on our tans!

Sorry, can't help you here. On my honeymoon I was too busy to read! I spent most of my time diving if you know what I mean...

...SCUBA diving. My wife and I completed our PADIs.
That was our original plan but I don't think my ears could hack it after a dozen different operations. Were gonna do plenty of snorkeling though

Try a bit of Hariku Murukami - The Wind Up Bird Chronicle and Kafka on the Shore are two of my favourites. Big ol' books and you're never really sure WTF is going on.

When i saw the thread title i thought you were having your honeymoon in Reading!

I thought, blimey, push the boat out son, live a little!

Back