• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hooking a SKY box to a PC

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
Has anyone connected their SKY box to a PC?

In short I would like to connect my Sky decoder to my PC using one of these - Here

My questions are..

1. How easy is it to do and how?

2. Do you just use a standard coax cable from the RF output on the decoder, then plug into the tuner card on your PC?

3. If I was to buy a few tuner cards so I can watch and record various channels at the same time, canI just use a standard splitter (maybe a booster) and more coax cable from the splitter box to the tuner cards in the PC to enable this?

4. Am I correct in thinking you can only receive the "free to air" satellite channels when using a tuner card in your PC?

5. How much does the picture quality suffer in connecting your SKY box to a PC?

In summary - What I want to do is use my SKY box as the receiver, then send the signal to my PC. But I want to be able to watch/record as many channels as physically possible on my PC. I guess that is determined by how many PCI slots I have and how many tuner cards I can fit in? To my knowledge 1 tuner card = 1 viewable channel, or are there tuner cards out there, that enable you to view more than one channel at a time, using the same card?

Any help would be appreciated and rewarded with green...

Last edited:
Can I just make a lame comment that you probably already know about, but even if you still view the Sky box through the computer, you still have to pay for a TV license. :) :p

My mate at uni bought something similar to it, and it wasnt too bad. Picture quality was good, but not as good as a proper TV.

No idea about the Sky box side of it, but I can highly recommend TV cards made by Lifeview, a small company in Taiwan. The decoder they use on the cards is excellent compared to others I've owned (including Hauppage) and works well with DScaler, a quality free download for watching TV on a PC. Lifeview cards aren't that widely sold in this country but you can usually find new ones on eBay.

Back