• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hooperman (old thread)

rabbloke

Coach
Come on you lads in the know, what is the story behind Gary Hooper?. Reading chased him even though in his own admission he was only getting the odd five minutes of football at Grays. Barnet wanted to collar him and may have won out if Tilly had not stepped in with a trial offer. So whats the story? Why did Grays cancel his contract by mutual agreement if he is so talented?. Is there a story behind this?. It intrigues me and so far I have no clue.
smile.gif

Yea, I thought that too - does allude to somewhat off-the-field issues with Hooper.

But, he is only 18 and from his interview on the OS, he sounds ambitious - i.e. his story is that he left Grays as they were only going to give him 5 mins here and there.

Maybe he thinks he is better than that, but Grays dont want a 'Charlie-Big-Time' upsetting the apple cart and maybe he knows coming into a CCC club that he wont play as much as he wants, but he is developing at a better club.

I would guess that Reading is a step too far at this stage and by his own admission he said he was ready to sign for Barnet until we stepped in.

Dont think there is a prob to be honest - just an ambitious lad!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ July 23 2006,14:26)]his story is that he left Grays as they were only going to give him 5 mins here and there
I wondered about that too... seems a bit odd doesnt it if he's so good? Slabber and Oli were ahead of him in the queue it seems - hopefullys there's nothing more to it than that?

Wasn't there arguments with Hooper's dad and the manager and chairman with reference to team selections...

He's a big talent. He started playing for Grays at 16.

There is the fact that his Dad wasn't too pleased at Grays' plans for him. If Stimson was there this season then he would've been in the team more often than not as he's a fan, but the new man wasn't as keen. Having seen his Farnborough side last season and the fact he seems to be signing as many of them for Grays as he can, I wouldn't be trusting his judgement too much!

This is not a bizarre case of someone being released by a Conference club and then being snapped up by a Championship side, as Hooper has not been released due to a lack of talent as the hefty bid from Reading, after a training spell with them, less than a year ago confirms.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ July 23 2006,15:13)]He's a big talent. He started playing for Grays at 16.

There is the fact that his Dad wasn't too pleased at Grays' plans for him. If Stimson was there this season then he would've been in the team more often than not as he's a fan, but the new man wasn't as keen. Having seen his Farnborough side last season and the fact he seems to be signing as many of them for Grays as he can, I wouldn't be trusting his judgement too much!

This is not a bizarre case of someone being released by a Conference club and then being snapped up by a Championship side, as Hooper has not been released due to a lack of talent as the hefty bid from Reading, after a training spell with them, less than a year ago confirms.
I am just as confused as before. As you said, he started at Grays when he was 16, his talent was obvious but even under Stimson he had little opportunity. Grays farmed out Cole to us for what on their site was a reputed £45,000 and got Kightly in for nix and yet did not cash in on a lucrative offer, allegedly, from Reading. If the lad and his dad were less than enamoured with opportunity at Grays, why did Gary remain, only to be released in the close season. How come Reading or other alerted clubs were not then queuing up to get the boy for nought. Even Tilson admits to have seen him and been impressed by him last season. Grays have never come across as poor businessmen in the transfer market and this leaves me still wondering what on earth has gone on. Answers on a postcard please....
smile.gif

Well theyv already replaced him with boylan, doubt he would have got ahead of all 3 if he couldnt last season.

Big surprise, this one on Saturday morning i was talking to a mate of mine who's a Grays fan and he said that there was a big falling out between Grays & Hooper / Hoopers Dad. He was gutted that he was about to sign for Barnet for zilch.

Then about 3 hours later he pops up a scores the winner against bOrient...!!

Get Agogo in and this fella, we could surprise a few next season.

I was impressed with Hooper in the small amount of time he was given to impress. In the warm-up before-hand he looked very comfortable with the ball at his feet, his touch and ball control were good and certainly had a few tricks as well.

During the game, his touch and ball control was good. He played most of the game with his back to goal, even though he isn't the biggest in terms of statue he held the ball well and layed it off effectively. He showed great awareness for the goal and took it well.

I still think it'll be Ricketts and Eastwood as the main two with one more (Possibly Agogo) on the bench as 3rd choice but Hooper is certainly better than Lawson and should he sign and should he get a chance I'm sure he'd take it with both hands. It may take a little while before we see the best off him, like Mitchell Cole he may well struggle fitness wise intially. I'm sure he'd settle in well as was getting on well with Cole and Eastwood, and was congratulated buy the vast majority of the team on his goal.

I hope we sign him along with another striker.

Me thinks It would be Eastwood and Agogo as the starting pair! If or course we signed the latter.

I think style of football has a lot to do with it, in the lower leagues you need big physical guys upfront as most of the balls are played in the air, the higher up you go, the more its played into feet - if the guy has go talent, ie pace and skill plus quick feet a higher better quality standard will suit him

I have see enough agasint Orient that we should sign him, remeber Husband make an impact in Pre-Season back in 2003 before the new season start? I hope Hooper don't end up picking injurys like Husband.

Pompey might kidnap Hooper if he score a hat-trick on Weds
tounge.gif

Back