• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

stevie_G_G_G

The OG King
Joe Calzaghe vowed to end Bernard Hopkins' illustrious career when the two men came face to face in London to hype their Las Vegas super-fight.

The undisputed super-middleweight champion will fight Hopkins at the light-heavyweight limit on 19 April.
"This will be Bernard Hopkins' last fight," said the 35-year-old Calzaghe.
"He will realise that he's never been in with someone like me. This is a new goal to go to America, fight in his backyard and win."
The 43-year-old Hopkins, who made 20 world title defences as a middleweight, promised that the estimated 8,000 Calzaghe fans expected in Vegas for the bout will witness "the execution of the Brit".
"He'll get a taste of his own medicine. Everyone who Joe fought had to come to the UK, his backyard," said Hopkins.
o.gif

I am an old man - I just happen to be an old man that can fight

Bernard Hopkins

"You want to be great? Do great things. The USA is the stamp of approval. You have to come to America because I'm the last man standing."
Hopkins added that he is relishing his role as underdog and that age will not be a factor when the two meet at the Thomas and Mack Center.
"This fight is right up my alley. I function better when things are not supposed to go my way," said Hopkins, who defeated Antonio Tarver in 2006 to lay claim to the undisputed light-heavyweight crown.
"We all lose a step here and there and I can't do the things I could do when I was 25 or 26, but you make up for that with other things.
"I am an old man - I just happen to be an old man that can fight. And I've always kept the mentality of the hungry man despite all the championship belts.
o.gif
606: DEBATE

Once he gets around Hopkins' awkwardness, Calzaghe will out-work him to an undisputed, but tough, victory

Mr B

"My ego is not in front of my common sense - I'm preparing for a tough, tough fight. And I don't see anything out there after I beat Joe, so it could end on that note."
Hopkins also pointed out that two of his biggest scalps - Tarver and Winky Wright last July - were, like Calzaghe, southpaws.
Calzaghe, who is undefeated in 44 professional encounters, added that he may only have two more fights left in him.
"I'm 36 in March and at this moment I'm probably in the best shape I've ever been in," said the Newbridge fighter.
"I think I could fight until I'm 40-plus, I've still got the ability. But mentally you've got to keep motivating yourself and I've run out of big names. "I don't want to keep fighting for money, I want to keep fighting to prove I'm the best, do a (Rocky) Marciano and retire undefeated. This is the buzz that's been missing in some of my fights, it's beautiful, I love it."

Don't know about anyone else but I can't wait for this fight. The Americans love Calzaghe already but hopefully after putting this guy to the sword, he will be remembered as an all time great!

i cant wait for this fight. thank goodness for free setanta

Back