• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Horse meat

Gee up horsey (into the oven)...

• Bart, lefty mug, SZ meme....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
After having a discussion on a FB page with an American over Europeans eating horse meat, I asserted that apart from France, it's not a widespread thing. How suprised was I when it turns out Johnny Foreigner loves to chow down on ol' Black Beauty (and sometimes donkey meat).

Now I'm no vegetarian, but the thought of it makes me uncomfortable......so....have you? Would you?

And to make it clear, knowingly eating horse meat rather being served it in an alleged Findus "Beef" Lasagne.

I'm hung like a horse

mandy_and_foal_5.jpg

Don't see why not, I guess people get more upset because people keep them as pets but from an ethical point of view it's no worse than killing any other animal for meat (ignoring how endangered a species is or if they are a dolphin).

Don't see why not, I guess people get more upset because people keep them as pets but from an ethical point of view it's no worse than killing any other animal for meat (ignoring how endangered a species is or if they are a dolphin).

Dolphin meat - now you're talking. :smile:

Yep, Horse steaks, Zebra , Springbok , Kudu , Crocodile, Ostrich. All available online and all eaten at various times .
Unless you are against eating all meat , I cant see a problem with eating any properly farmed animals .

Yep, Horse steaks, Zebra , Springbok , Kudu , Crocodile, Ostrich. All available online and all eaten at various times .
Unless you are against eating all meat , I cant see a problem with eating any properly farmed animals .

I dunno, there's an argument about being against the eating of large animals/red meat due to the amount of resources (water/feed/land/electricity etc) used in their farming/production, relative to small animals/poultry etc.

Ate all of those bar horse, and including camel.

I dunno, there's an argument about being against the eating of large animals/red meat due to the amount of resources (water/feed/land/electricity etc) used in their farming/production, relative to small animals/poultry etc.

On the flip side Horse, etc produce less methane than bovines so perhaps the environmental issue is with beef ?

On the flip side Horse, etc produce less methane than bovines so perhaps the environmental issue is with beef ?

Yeah potentially, I'm no expert but know that beef has a massively disproportionate environmental impact relative to other meat products.

I guess those feeling iffy about it would also feel iffy about eating rabbit? Both animals that we keep as pets, and I think that's where the issue comes.

If the horse is ethically reared etc (as with veal etc) then I have no issue with it; however some of the horse meat, especially from Eastern Europe ought not to be used ever (not even as pet food) as doing so promotes their poor animal welfare.

Back