• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Hotel plans now ditched.

Any plan for a new stadium that doesn't take the opportunity of building into the infrastructure some kind of potential ongoing revenue stream for the club seems very short sighted. The club at some point will have to pay rent to whoever owns the stadium so we look like we'll be worse off after the move than we are now. Its all a very sad direction of travel unless someone comes over the horizon who can buy the club and stadium. Or have I missed a chapter and read this wrong ?
We likely won't be self sufficient at the new stadium but Roots Hall is falling to pieces and it's only getting worse. We'll be better off in the new stadium simply because we won't need to make expensive repairs each year to pass a safety inspection.

I thought we knew this months ago. Surely this is just the formal planning permission stuff.

This was my assumption on seeing it.

I wonder if the 'further reduction' from 17,000 to 16,226 is just the result of them actually running the new design through, it was always unlikely it would actually be a perfectly round number (but perhaps they've erred towards the smaller side as they've done so).

And the preview photos on the website already showed the hotel being dropped in favour of more housing. Not shocking, really - it's an odd location for a hotel, the city needs more housing, and it's far more reliable investment. The question of future income streams is vital, but at the same time, this thing actually needs to get built and at this point the fewer moving parts the better.

We might not like these down grading steps BUT, I can not argue against the decisions economics and necessity wise. Emotionally it is a bit sad.
You can not argue that Ron’s taken away pretty much every revenue stream the club would have earned on non match days and made Fossets about as financially sustainable for the club as Roots Hall now? Wow ok mate!

We likely won't be self sufficient at the new stadium but Roots Hall is falling to pieces and it's only getting worse. We'll be better off in the new stadium simply because we won't need to make expensive repairs each year to pass a safety inspection.
So the only difference the new stadium will make financially to us in the future is less repairs. Great, I’m sure that was the hopes and dreams of every fan for the last 25 years saga of the new stadium. That huge amount of money will get us into the EFL and Championship in no time I’m sure 👍

You can not argue that Ron’s taken away pretty much every revenue stream the club would have earned on non match days and made Fossets about as financially sustainable for the club as Roots Hall now? Wow ok mate!
No the council did. An agreement was made the commercial would be dropped for more residential otherwise they wouldn't have approved the plans.

The club has the revenue from what ever is built under the other stands. Ron has also said he will leave the club debt free and obviously needs to be reminded of this. I'm not sure I can take 5 years of negativity from cynical fans. Let's just see what happens. There will be pitfalls along the way, delays and money issues in these uncertain times. Hopefully I'll still be here when the ground is completed. No doubt there will be moans then about the blue paint not being the right shade, the concrete is too concretey and heaven forbid if onions are banned from the burgers

I honestly still believe if this was being built elsewhere in the country under a different council this would have been built years ago.
I interpret that as "despite all the evidence to the contrary I'd rather blame the council".

The planning application is ref. 22/01528/FULM. This link may work: https://publicaccess.southend.gov.u...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=RFSESHPAKU000.

There are an awful lot of documents on the application, so if like me you want to spend the afternoon browsing stadium plans while pretending to work, here are some of the highlights. The Design and Access Statement is most informative, but is broken down into a lot of chunks which you're best off accessing through the planning portal linked above.

Phasing plan

Masterplan phase 1

Masterplan phase 2

Phase 2 stadium/concourse plans

Elevations

Sections

There will be other uses for the new stadium, maybe host an U21 international or England Ladies sometime?
Concert venue etc.
Better hospitality suites, venues suitable for meetings, training groups, Wakes etc.

And as has been posted, much reduced maintenance costs.

Retail scrapped
Cinema scrapped
Hotel scrapped
Leisure scrapped

All of these were huge non match day revenue streams and would have given us an excellent financial footing for the future.

I’m afraid the odd ladies, U21’s match or a concert here and there is not going to generate no where near as much revenue as the above listed.

Ron’s a property developer and must now feel like he’s won the lottery as he doesn’t have to build any of the above mentioned, just a huge housing development with a smaller stadium crammed in the middle of it

This is not news at all?? Those who have been following this thread know that some time ago the hotel element was going?? We talked about how it remained in the plans for planning permission and would be changed later. It was no longer real? Discussed at length. So no news at all...

The only new element is that replacing the hotel with housing (as again it was suggested on the thread a few times it would) comes with a reduction of capacity of 774. May be driven by the design elements of housing verses hotel. But this reduction is I think the new bit.

None of this affects the clubs hospitality plans. The Hotel's hospitality capability would have belonged to the hotels owners not the club. The clubs hospitality areas are/were separate to those of the hotel.

So in summary new is 774 reduction in capacity (not 7000!) and the real question to ask is if the housing is now funding the 4th side can this bring construction forward?

Last edited:
What's next to go? The pitch ??

Another 100 houses on there to accommodate Ron Martin Road though the middle of the goalposts ...

Removing the hotel for more houses is a complete joke. More traffic in that area increasing the difficultly of getting in and out of the stadium area on match days.

It's become a Farce. Nothing more than a major profit scheme for Mr Martin and his associates.

I love the bloody club ..... of course you do!!!

What's next to go? The pitch ??

Another 100 houses on there to accommodate Ron Martin Road though the middle of the goalposts ...

Removing the hotel for more houses is a complete joke. More traffic in that area increasing the difficultly of getting in and out of the stadium area on match days.

It's become a Farce. Nothing more than a major profit scheme for Mr Martin and his associates.

I love the bloody club ..... of course you do!!!
We've known about this for months? It's been discussed on here a number of times?? The only surprise is that it appears to be a surprise...

Well I missed that so apologies for not spending my life on here. However, reduced capacity again???
Yes- although in practical terms makes very little difference emotionally it feels more of a negative than it really is. Would have been better if it stayed the same but given the number is so small it probably flows from the design change necessitated by going from hotel to housing. Hopefully they now just get on and build it!!

Back