• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Hotel plans now ditched.

Just seems to me now that he is doing the least possible with the new ground just to tick a covernance box and develop RH. He has no long term self sufficient long term strategy for the club, just more money for him and SBC, feel like he has played us all

Just seems to me now that he is doing the least possible with the new ground just to tick a covernance box and develop RH. He has no long term self sufficient long term strategy for the club, just more money for him and SBC, feel like he has played us all

If he'd taken over the club a couple of years ago, then maybe. But he's owned the club for decades

A question for those of you who regularly claim "Its all one mans fault".

If you were given £5m and could turn the clock back to 1998 when if I remember right we finished about 18th in L2 (4th tier) what would you do different ?

Don't forget you have to pay off the £4m debt run up by the previous owners as the banks are about to close RH. You have to deal with Sainsbury's because they have first dibs on RH. Plus you have to deal with SBC, for the previous 15 years the made no secrete of not wanting football in our town. They would rather the club went to Basildon than allow a new stadium or the redevelopment of RH.

We all love RH so would you stay, go to Bas, build a new stadium or back to the Kursal etc......

Yes. But fans don’t see it. He is and was a property developer.

PLANS to build a hotel at Southend United’s long-awaited new stadium have been axed, with additional homes set to be built instead.

The club is now proposing to build an additional 42 homes in place of the hotel, taking the total of number of properties planned for the Fossetts Farm project to 224.

Despite initially being confident of signing a deal with a big name hotel, the club has been unable to get an operator to join the major plans.
Changes announced in a revised planning application submitted to Southend Council also outline proposals to lower the capacity of the stadium to 16,226.

It comes just months after the club announced a previous reduction in capacity for the stadium, down from 21,000 to 17,000.
Ian Gilbert, councillor responsible for economic recovery, regeneration and housing gave a cautious welcome to the new homes.
He said: “It’s good news as long as the infrastructure is there. This has been talked about for a long time. My understanding is that the planning and funding is done and everything is pretty much aligned so we should see some progress soon.”

A report to planners by the club said: “The club has re-examined its requirements for the capacity of a new stadium, given its location in south Essex and fan base and now needs to downsize the stadium to 16,226 seats.
“In addition, an occupier has not been secured for the stadium north stand hotel, so the north stand will no longer include a hotel. It will continue to accommodate match day corporate facilities, a ballroom, club offices and boardroom.”
The club concluded: “The amendments will enable the long planned for stadium to progress in accordance with the scale of the stadium the club sees as befitting its location within the city and wider south Essex area. There are clear planning benefits arising from the scheme.
“As such planning permission should be granted without delay.”
View attachment 22181

The first phase of the Fossetts Farm scheme is already underway, with new training pitches being installed and ready for use by the winter.
Work will then begin on the east, west and south stands of the stadium, with construction set to finish in 2024. The 224 new homes are expected to be built by 2028, according to the plans.

Stone me, it just gets worse.....

So the ground will be in a building site for 4 years until the houses are finished. That should look welcoming. Though I'm guessing / Hope they'll be on the RH site..

I bet Easyjet pulling out / scaled down of Southend Airport has played a big part in this.

Last edited:
Back