• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Housing "crisis" idea

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
Apparently some 25% of adults live alone. I imagine a significant proportion live in a house (as opposed to a flat). So how about this... a grant from central funds to convert your house into two flats (e.g. a downstairs shower room/toilet/basin. an upstairs kitchen/ette) and planning permission specially relaxed to allow this to happen? When the new flat is sold, repay the grant which would effectively be an interest free loan secured on the "new" flat, the house owner pockets the rest.

Looking at my place, it could be possible.

Would you be prepared to sell half your house, as it were?

Apparently some 25% of adults live alone. I imagine a significant proportion live in a house (as opposed to a flat). So how about this... a grant from central funds to convert your house into two flats (e.g. a downstairs shower room/toilet/basin. an upstairs kitchen/ette) and planning permission specially relaxed to allow this to happen? When the new flat is sold, repay the grant which would effectively be an interest free loan secured on the "new" flat, the house owner pockets the rest.

Looking at my place, it could be possible.

Would you be prepared to sell half your house, as it were?
As you say, houses are in demand and so why would you basically sell your attractive house to gain two flats/release some equity.

My guess is that only a very small proportion of that 25% would have a home suitable for that kind of conversion (you're looking at a 3 up/3 down and even then you'll only end up with 2 very small flats). Even on my own I wouldn't live in a 1 bed flat.

Building regs require fire escapes and things which mean that converting a house into flats is probably a nightmare that even with an interest free loan isn't going to add any significant value.

OK house round here £180,000
Flat 2 beds £165,000

Some people may not want to move home.

Back