• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paul has said on many occasions that his style of play is to use his front men as playmakers and, for me, it's one of the reasons our goals tend to be spread around the team.

It'll be interesting then to see where people think Freddy's best position will be in THIS team, and whether or not we can set ourselves up to take advantage? Can Luggy (that's not should Luggy)... CAN Luggy set out his stall to use Eastwood at his creative best?

Based on his strengths last time round, out of our current bunch, who would be the best strike partner?

Freddy isnt one to lead the line, he likes to hang around the edge of the box and does most of his damage in between 18 and 30 yards.

I hope they arent expecting him to chase after everything, he never did that in his prime.

Moshni is probably the best option lo lead the line to give us a bit of height and create enough mayhem to give Freddy space. Does he even exist though ? His appearance in the stands might hint at a return ?

Otherwise Harris/Benyon is much of a muchness...

It's a shame, but I think of the current crop Dickinson or Corr, would probably been ideals foils for sir fred. Dicko and fredy would certainly mean that most league two defences have something to worry about.

It may mean that there will be more space for midfielders, because a team would have more to worry their defence, and would double up on the strikers.

Fredy of old didn't need much room to get his shot away, and when he did he hit it with venom. Most league two keepers will struggle I think, just as they do when Hall strikes one on target. Let's just hope it will be something like 'the fredy of old'

Out wide
Happy%20Smilie%20aug%202010.gif

It's a shame, but I think of the current crop Dickinson or Corr, would probably been ideals foils for sir fred. Dicko and fredy would certainly mean that most league two defences have something to worry about.

It may mean that there will be more space for midfielders, because a team would have more to worry their defence, and would double up on the strikers.

Fredy of old didn't need much room to get his shot away, and when he did he hit it with venom. Most league two keepers will struggle I think, just as they do when Hall strikes one on target. Let's just hope it will be something like 'the fredy of old'

His name of old was of course Freddy.

Good point. Freddy had Goater to feed him. With Dickinson and Corr out and Bilel seemingly continuing to not play it might mean Freddy will have to work a bit harder than before. Along with the hoofball I hope it doesn't become doubly frustrating.

Good point. Freddy had Goater to feed him. With Dickinson and Corr out and Bilel seemingly continuing to not play it might mean Freddy will have to work a bit harder than before. Along with the hoofball I hope it doesn't become doubly frustrating.

He only had The Goat for a season. In the main, Freddy made his own goals.

I guess Wayne Gray was his partner also for a while. Which'll hopefully mean playing alongside Benyon or Harris won't be a problem. I think we'll get a better idea of Freddy when he is fully fit but I just wonder if he can be fully match fit before the season ends. Its taken Benyon and Flood a while to get asnywhere near match fit.

He can sit in the centre circle playing with his balls for 90 minutes for all I care. Just seeing him enter the pitch with a SUFC shirt on will be enough for me to release my load.

Only thing that worries me is whether Sturrock will want to start Eastwood, happy he's back but get the feeling it may have been a Martin signing as much as a Sturrock signing. Hopefully he will start against Cheltenham because we obviously need to try something else at home, but away this season we have been getting the results so I wouldn't blame Sturrock if Eastwood was benched for the first game and given a fifteen minute run at the end, don't forget Eastwood has never trained with these people before.

For all the criticism that RM and PS have endured over the season this is the signing the club needs to get the fans back on board!!!

Id like to see Freddy and Harris at Rovers or Freddy and Benyon.

This is certainly going to add to the attendances and shirt sales and potentially ST sales for next season

Gray was his best partner. He ran the channels created the space for Fred to do his business. Sadly we dont have anyone with Waynes pace so I would say Harris is the best bet, purely because of his football brain.

The expectation to go up is now ridicously high. Freddy will have huge expectancy on his shoulders. To be critical Ron probably sanctioned this signing to get the critics off his back. Just hope the pressure isn't now too much for if we are still in League 2 next year I predict fred won't be joining full time.

I know people will hate it, but I actually think Blair would work well with Fred! His ability to hold the ball up would allow Fred to feed off it. Not only Blair, but Timlin, Hall, Clohessy....any of these could easily form an excellent working partnership. Freddy, given back his place as front man - rather than wide man, as used by other, clearly inferior managers - will feed off any crumb that comes his way. I can't see him featuring this weekend but seriously hope our fitness guys get to work on him before next Friday against Cheltenham.

Honestly can't remember being this enthused about following our football team, ever!

I think ps will start with harris and benyon against bristol, no reason to change them for this away trip as they have performed well. Freddy will be our super sub !

Is Freddy a Martin or a Sturrock signing? Hope it's the latter or both. And i hope Freddy loves this club as much as the other way round, or we'll see a strutting Freddy performing at his laziest.
Going to be interesting. What is much more important is getting Moshni back on the bench, impact subs don't come any better.

Is Freddy a Martin or a Sturrock signing? Hope it's the latter or both. And i hope Freddy loves this club as much as the other way round, or we'll see a strutting Freddy performing at his laziest.
Going to be interesting. What is much more important is getting Moshni back on the bench, impact subs don't come any better.

To be honest I can't see Freddy strutting around and being lazy this time around. I know what you mean though as I do feel this is how he played for us in his last 6 months at the club. However this time he is playing for a contract, be that with us (if we do go up) or elsewhere. His future obviously isn't at Coventry and this is his chance to put himself in the shop window. I think the biggest concern is going to be playing a half fit player that 90% of fans are going to expect to beat 3 men and score every time he touches the ball. The problem is is I'll be one of them. Great to have Fred back.

Would love to see Eastwood a fans favourite and Harris a supporter of the club upfront. Both want whats best for the club and will be willing to get points on the board and impress the fans.

Failing that would love to see Eastwood and Bilel upfront

Oh dear..not one good word for him.

I take your point but that's not entirely true.

There's not much, but from the same thread:

I reckon he will bag a few if he plays.

Had plenty of chances here and never got going at all. Guarantee a bag full of goals in the coming weeks though!

He has the talent to have played upfront all season and bagged the goals to keep us safe - but he couldn't be arsed.

Point is, he never got going and he's clearly been unhappy where he is. No one is questioning his talent, only his fitness and commitment. All that remains to be seen then is whether the affection he enjoys at Southend will be enough to get him fired up again. No question, Southend United is Freddy's spiritual home.

Back