• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How are exiles' teams doing?

Now the shrimpers are down lets look to teams that us shrimpers go to see away from the home of football roots hall.
I follow the mighty LBC, la berrichonne de chateuaroux,ok not so mighty as we are 2nd bottom of league 2 but we have 4 games left with 3 being at home.
If we depart l2 then we drop into the national which is the same as the blue square so not good but i would still go just so i can abuse the 3 away fans in english and see the look of shock on their faces.
So hows your team doing?

Season already over. Absolutely awful, Brisbane Roar finished second from bottom of the A-League and worst of all lost all 3 derbies against Gold Coast United including a 5-1 thrashing at their place on Boxing Day. To be honest I'll be glad to see the back of the 09/10 season on all fronts!

Season already over. Absolutely awful, Brisbane Roar finished second from bottom of the A-League and worst of all lost all 3 derbies against Gold Coast United including a 5-1 thrashing at their place on Boxing Day. To be honest I'll be glad to see the back of the 09/10 season on all fronts!

so are you down?
last season we had to win the last game to stay up,we did but it was really not nice,start of the season we spent 6 weeks top of the league,now who knows.

No relegation in the A-League so we get to fight another day.

Big rumours we are hosting Everton in pre-season (we had Celtic last year) so that's something to look forward to.

Real Betis are trying their best not to be promoted from Spain's second division. Currently lying sixth with six games to go (top three go up) but a 0-3 defeat last week to the team now in fifth was far from ideal. At the moment, any of the top eight could probably still dream of promotion; we better be one of them.

As for Celtic, I think their total ineptitude this season has been pretty well documented.

No relegation in the A-League so we get to fight another day.

Big rumours we are hosting Everton in pre-season (we had Celtic last year) so that's something to look forward to.

Without wanting to be rude as obviously good news for you is that not a bit boring. Is there no second division in Oz?

Without wanting to be rude as obviously good news for you is that not a bit boring. Is there no second division in Oz?

They completely restructured the league 5 years ago...next season will only be the 6th season of the A-League. The old NSL (National Soccer League) was vibrant but strictly small time, plenty of people were put off by the fact that many of the clubs were ethnic based and you'd often get Serbs and Croats kicking off in the stands.

So they started again with 8 'franchises' in the major cities, of the old teams from the NSL only Perth Glory survived in the new setup as they had no ethnic ties. Teams play in modern grounds and crowds are up on the old league. It expanded last season to 10 teams, goes up to 11 next season with a second team in Melbourne and 12 the year after with a second team in Sydney.

In truth it does make for a bit of blandness, playing the same teams 3 times a season and no promotion/relegation. However fair play to the FFA as the league is built on pretty solid ground and has some stability and is expanding slowly. They will add a 2nd division eventually but not untill the league is established enough to support it.

What you have to remember is Football is firmly behind League and Aussie Rules and slightly behind Union over here. It's growing all the time and more and more becoming part of the sporting mainstream but has to be careful not to try and run before it can walk.

Hope that answers your question mate?

Whilst not an exile ,I follow two other teams

Cobh Ramblers Eircom 1st Division when I first saw them, promoted the season after then relegated and kicked out of the league (and Irish Non league has league reserve teams , is a complete shambles and only issues the fixtures on a monthly basis) due to being in too much debt, they have had to sell the ground and "re-group"

Clachnacuddin in the Highland league, Went into administration earlier on in the season and have been operating with a paper thin squad and youngsters , currently 11 out of 18 (Fort William are not bottom !) but due to the bad weather some teams still have 6 games to play and Nairn with three games in hand are lkely to overtake them

Espanyol are now certain to stay up and got a more than creditable 0-0 draw at home to Bar$a the other week.Montpellier are going great guns in Division 1 in their first season back after 5 or 6 seasons in French Division 2.I saw them play Monaco over Easter when a win would have seen them go top.Typically they drew 0-0 but are still looking good for a European place.

Santos are flying with some of the best youn players you will ever see coming through like Neymar (watch this space) and old heads like Robinho. Just won the local tital and looking forward to the semis in the cup.

Santos are flying with some of the best youn players you will ever see coming through like Neymar (watch this space) and old heads like Robinho. Just won the local tital and looking forward to the semis in the cup.

Is Neymar really that good - i saw him play the Red Bulls in a friendly and he wasnt that impressive... the fans got excited when he got the ball but he seemed to reel off a lot of stepovers and had no real end product.
Im sure it had a lot to do with playing in a reserve side, but i wasnt really that impressed.

Is Neymar really that good - i saw him play the Red Bulls in a friendly and he wasnt that impressive... the fans got excited when he got the ball but he seemed to reel off a lot of stepovers and had no real end product.
Im sure it had a lot to do with playing in a reserve side, but i wasnt really that impressed.

He is a different class mate, to be honest he is not going to put his foot in for a friendly game but he is normally unreal and will be a star no doubt. Paulo Henrique is another one who will shine.

Of the other teams I support / have a soft spot for... Flamengo won the Brazilian Championship in 2009, were runners up to Botafogo in the State Championship in 2010, and are currently 1-0 up after the first leg (at home) of their Copa Libertadores QF against Paulista legends, Corinthians. The Menguista line is being led by a couple of relatively well known players... Adriano and Ronaldo.

;)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Olympique Lyonnais (OL) have had a good season in Europe - making it to the semis of the Champions' League; however, having had up to that point the tightest defence of any team left in the competition, they then capitulated pretty miserably to Bayern, being knocked out 4-0 on aggregate.

Domestically, by their recent high standards, they've had a very up & down campaign. They currently lie 5th, 2 points off 3rd (the CL spots, which OL really ought to be aiming for) but with a game in hand over Lille. Marseille have got one hand on the league championship, 5 points clear of Auxerre in 2nd with only 4 games to go. Auxerre are then 5 points above Lille in third; however, third to sixth are pretty close:

Lille..........P34 61pts (CL)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Montpellier P34 60 pts (Europa)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OL............P33 59 pts
Bordeaux...P33 57 pts

So, it's very much all to play for - and OL have two massive games coming up which will probably determine their season: away to Montpellier on Sunday, and then home to Auxerre the following Wednesday.

Still, it's not all bad news - at least the hated Verts (St. Etienne) have had a terrible season - lying one spot above the relegation trapdoor...

:)

Back