• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who has been the best signing

• Total voters

Jedi Shrimper

formerly Drastic™
Neil Harris
Jemal Johnson
Alassane N'Dire
Ryan Leonard
JP Kalala
Liam Dickinson

Think that's the order we signed them in. Comments on each, put them in order of success plus a comment.

Pringello:

Neil Harris: 6.39
Jemal Johnson: 5.15
Ryan Leonard: 6.49
JP Kalala: 6.45
Liam Dickinson: 6.67

Dickinson
Leonard
Harris
Kalala
Johnson

Dickinson - Can see why Derby paid 750k for him, so to get him on a free must be one of the best deals this club has ever done - 8/10

Leonard - Deservedly holding down the RM spot. Quietly effective, and I don't think it's any coincidence that our recent run of defensive solidity has coincided with him becoming a regular starter. Is also only going to get better as he's young - 7.5/10

Harris - Getting there. Think he was trying too hard at the start of the season, and not helped by missing chances in the 1st couple of games. 3 goals in 3 games now though, and I fully expect him to top 15 for the season. 7/10

Kalala - Good by not great. Shields the back 4 well, but as YB pointed out yesterday, and backed up by own eyes last night, his passing is poor. I still think Kane would do a better job. - 6/10

Johnson - Got off to a poor start with some woeful crossing in the 1st game against Hereford. Now seems to well down the pecking order, but must have something for Luggy to sign him in the 1st place. Probably needs a run of games, but won't get it unless we hit an injury crisis. - 4/10

Dickinson.... Been the star of the summer signings so far...8/10
Leonard..... Coming good now and time is on his side..7/10
Kalala.... It is no coincidence we look better with him in the side,.,but Grant and him do not work well together 7/10
Harris.... Very disappointed with him so far ..the hype is not showing in his game ..,looks off the pace, although in his defence he is a good thinker 6/10
Johnson....Sorry, but a waste of space so far..3/10

It seems the Pringello support my thoughts.

Neil Harris: 6.39
Jemal Johnson: 5.15
Ryan Leonard: 6.49
JP Kalala: 6.45
Liam Dickinson: 6.67

Harris.... Very disappointed with him so far ..the hype is not showing in his game ..,looks off the pace, although in his defence he is a good thinker 6/10

Three in three now though, to be fair to him. I'll take that strike record over the season!

Three in three now though, to be fair to him. I'll take that strike record over the season!

The last 2 being a penalty and amazing luck last night after he got a second chance at a one-on-one against the keeper which he messed up...but yes of course we would take that ratio.

Dickinson - Class act - good on the deck and in the air. So glad to have him and enjoy watching him
Harris - Feel he has great vision and will be a real danger in and around the box. Again great player
Kalala - Didnt like him at first but see him now as a really effective anchor man.
Leonard - Looks decent. Would like to see him tkae over from Clohessey in time who I have never rated much
JJ - Feel there is so much more to offer. Think people are too quixk to turn on him when he has barely had a chance.

Overall I went from feeling these were all poor signing to all good signings about a month ago.

Neil Harris
Jemal Johnson
Alassane N'Dire
Ryan Leonard
JP Kalala
Liam Dickinson

Think that's the order we signed them in. Comments on each, put them in order of success plus a comment.

Alessane N'diaye - the second best N'diaye ever to play for us.

On a more cheerful note, I agree with the comments on Dickinson. I didn't get excited when he signed because of his injury struggles and we have seen hints of that so far. But on the plus side he is a clever player who is direct, quick and has an eye for goal. He only has one goal from open play to his name so far though.

Harris would be my second place because I think he adds another dimension to our attacking play when he is getting the service he needs. His football brain is second to none and his movement means he is likely to be our main source of goals this season. He had about five chances last night alone. Still looks like he could do with a confidence boost in front of goal but has three in three now and is looking sharper than he did at the start. Really struggles when we lump it long and lacks pace.

Kalala was excellent against Shrewsbury and does that job really well - I had hoped for Kane to be playing that role this season but Kalala is experienced and looks like he will be a key if unspectacular cog in the wheel of our system. Can't pass, which is a real shame.

Leonard drifts out of games for me, but he has played more of a part than I expected him to and is not afraid to have a go. Adds something with his long throws and shores up the right hand side. Hope to see more from him.

Johnson - can't judge him yet, hasn't played enough games. Looked sharp in pre-season but poor in league so far. Must be more to come but has clearly not impressed Sturrock and could be a while before we see him in the team again.

The last 2 being a penalty and amazing luck last night after he got a second chance at a one-on-one against the keeper which he messed up

Or to put a different viewpoint on it, not all strikers would have been alert to the possibility of the rebound (as Paul Clark said on BBC Essex)

For me Leonard is the signing of the summer, yes Dickinson & Harris may well be better but Leonard had no expectations on his shoulders and we all thought he's here to bulk out the squad and provide Clohessy with cover. But he's carved out his own niche as a RW, and probably on minimal wages too.

Maybe a poll would be good here? could a mod oblige...

Neil Harris
Jemal Johnson
Alassane N'Dire
Ryan Leonard
JP Kalala
Liam Dickinson

Dickinson - Exactly what we needed, particularly with Corr being amiss. Shaken off any fitness concerns that were banded about when he signed 9/10

Leonard - Difficult to judge as he seemed to be signed as a Full Back and played mostly as a Midfielder..Carl Pettefer with a touch of class perhaps. What he undoubtedly gives us is options down the right side, again just what we needed 8/10

Harris - Hopefully more to come, but he's done OK so far, doing a job without setting the world alight so far - 7/10

Kalala - Not sure what he is, certainly not a footballer, but again he has been exactly what we needed to kick some *** in the middle of the park. I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised by his performances so far. Has looked head and shoulders above the grossly overrated Ferdinand. 6.5/10

JJ - dunno haven't seen him play. I'm more than happy to take PS word for it though that he's not up to first team standard at present.
N/A
For me 4 out of 5 is very good (N'Dire doesn't count as he was returned under long distance selling regs). I am very impressed that Sturrock has not just brought in decent players, he's brought in decent players that will fit the system he is trying to play. For example Rohan Ricketts, no-one would doubt he's got talent, but wouldn't suit what Sturrock is doing here so on he strolls.

1. Dickinson - A good player at this level. A bit of pace, a handful and good feet.
2. Kalala - Watch him closely and you will see what he brings. Very good DM for this league and one of the reasons we haven't shipped many goals lately.
3. Harris - Jury still out on him. Great vision. Just started to hit the net so hopefully he'll improve...
4. Leonard - Excellent long throw weapon and a hammer of a strike. Needs more time though.
5. Johnson - Can't comment really. Needs a loan spell. Shame, as he has the talent, he just needs to rediscover it.

Back