• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

wivs

First XI
I have now managed to watch the game again on Sky plus and two things in particular struck me. Firstly, we were not as bad as I thought at the time, it was in fact a very even game except for the first 15 mins or so. Mohsni was very unlucky not to score, Mkandawire should have scored, Britt had one disallowed (it was just offside) and Corr had one cleared off the line too. We appeared to have no luck whatsoever.
This brings me to my second point, the Ref gave us nothing, not a sausage, *ugger all!!!
Two good penalty shouts turned down, both on Britt, the first one being a 'stonewall' penalty. In the second half Clohessy was brought down right on the edge of the area, again no free kick given. Their second goal, even though Zoners are slagging off Bilel, he was definitely fouled in the build up, again no free kick.
Unbelievably, we were only given Two (yes Two!!!!) free kicks in the entire match. So on another day, things could have been so different.
So if you attended the game and you get a chance, watch it again, it was a lot closer than you might have thought, even Peter Beagrie was questioning the decisions and the commentators were generally saying we at least deserved a goal and praised our efforts.
It was still a great day though. It was good seeing so many familiar faces at the Green Man and what a sight in the stadium, 32,000 Blues fans (and guests!!) really brought a lump to my throat (ooh er!!)

And oh yes, Straker really did find a red shirt more often than a blue!!

Thre ref was shockingly bad, favouring the northern team. I wonder where he hails from.....:whistling:

Agreed ! When i watched the coverage back i noticed the soft free kick the ref gave on the edge of our area when Cressy ' fouled ' one of the Crewe players. All game long he had let similar challenges against us go such as the Britt penalty shout and the barging of Moshni etc.. Straker looked even worse on TV coverage ! :omg:

I have now managed to watch the game again on Sky plus and two things in particular struck me. Firstly, we were not as bad as I thought at the time, it was in fact a very even game except for the first 15 mins or so. Mohsni was very unlucky not to score, Mkandawire should have scored, Britt had one disallowed (it was just offside) and Corr had one cleared off the line too. We appeared to have no luck whatsoever.
This brings me to my second point, the Ref gave us nothing, not a sausage, *ugger all!!!
Two good penalty shouts turned down, both on Britt, the first one being a 'stonewall' penalty. In the second half Clohessy was brought down right on the edge of the area, again no free kick given. Their second goal, even though Zoners are slagging off Bilel, he was definitely fouled in the build up, again no free kick.
Unbelievably, we were only given Two (yes Two!!!!) free kicks in the entire match. So on another day, things could have been so different.
So if you attended the game and you get a chance, watch it again, it was a lot closer than you might have thought, even Peter Beagrie was questioning the decisions and the commentators were generally saying we at least deserved a goal and praised our efforts.
It was still a great day though. It was good seeing so many familiar faces at the Green Man and what a sight in the stadium, 32,000 Blues fans (and guests!!) really brought a lump to my throat (ooh er!!)

And oh yes, Straker really did find a red shirt more often than a blue!!

I thought the same, although I was still quite drunk when I watched back on Sunday night.

And he celebrated with Crewe players at the final whistle !

Did he really? I wouldn't be surprised as he certainly shook the hands of at least two of the Crewe players substituted as they came off. As I have stated previoulsy on another thread northern refs favour northern clubs - as northerners favour other northerners in all walks of life.

Every pundit I've heard comment on it seem to back up that opinion as well, which, while vindicates our usual moaning about a poor ref, doesn't make it any easier on this occasion. Both the Britt penalty shouts were good shouts and more players should have appealed.

Come on guys , we were beaten by the better team.
We weren't awful , but Crewe were better than us.
No terrible ref , no conspiracy theory , we just lost the game to a team in a higher League.
Stop all this sour grapes rubbish.

No terrible ref , no conspiracy theory , we just lost the game to a team in a higher League.

It is possible to accept Crewe were better than us and criticise the referee's performance when due.

To give two free kicks to a team in a competitive game is difficult to believe. The linesman flagged for one of those too before the referee reacted.

i agree, Crewe i felt had a few more gears to go up if needed, but, we did not get 2 decisions that could have changed the game considerably, if we did make it 1-1 would Crewe have been so good in possession & a bit nervy!

I heard, and there is verifiable DNA evidence, taht he is the father of all the Crewe outfield players. He also train spots and is in a civil partnership with Dario Gradi.

Made me laugh this :smile: . Sure a few decisions went against us but this official was no worse than some of the officials I've seen this season especially at RH.

i agree, Crewe i felt had a few more gears to go up if needed, but, we did not get 2 decisions that could have changed the game considerably, if we did make it 1-1 would Crewe have been so good in possession & a bit nervy!

See I don't agree Crewe had more gears to go through. If they did they would be better than mid-table L1. They are a decent passing side & play some pretty football at times, we already knew that, but put them under pressure and they do make mistakes & get rattled. Second half we got behind them to the byline numerous times & were let down by a poor final ball (or a bad decisiopn by the ref). I think we saw Crewe for what they are, yes they're a bit better than us all round, but they're not that special.

As for the ref, it is hard to understand just how one sided he was. You have to trust the officials integrity but my god he gave us absolutely nothing all game. But we'll never hear his reasons for some of those decisions so we just have to accept it and move on.

I heard, and there is verifiable DNA evidence, taht he is the father of all the Crewe outfield players. He also train spots and is in a civil partnership with Dario Gradi.

I saw him getting on the Crewe Bus on the way home. He was kissing their left back.

That might not have happened though.

Ok I was slightly suspicious when he blocked Mohsni's header on the line and when he narrowly headed over in the 2nd half , but apart from that , thought he was fair.

I am not totally blaming the ref, but I was just pointing out that we was not as bad as some people are saying and we did not get the rub of the green.
If we had got some of those decisions, as we might have with a decent ref, it would have been a lot more interesting, those important decisions need to go for you when a game is quite tight, it really is the difference between success and failure.
I know football is all ifs and buts, but I almost feel things dont seem to go for us in these finals, remember the early Blackpool goal in the first LDV was well offside???
Anyway I still cant believe he only gave us TWO free kicks!!! He is off my Christmas card list for sure!!!!

See I don't agree Crewe had more gears to go through. If they did they would be better than mid-table L1. They are a decent passing side & play some pretty football at times, we already knew that, but put them under pressure and they do make mistakes & get rattled. Second half we got behind them to the byline numerous times & were let down by a poor final ball (or a bad decisiopn by the ref). I think we saw Crewe for what they are, yes they're a bit better than us all round, but they're not that special.

As for the ref, it is hard to understand just how one sided he was. You have to trust the officials integrity but my god he gave us absolutely nothing all game. But we'll never hear his reasons for some of those decisions so we just have to accept it and move on.

Agree with this entirely. The ref wasn't biased, but he did make quite a few bad decisions. Personally I think he did it to try and not become the centre of attention, rather than for any other reason.

I have no evidence of this but I also think Crewe get a lot of favourable refereing decisions because of their reputation. They're rightly known for developing a lot of top quality players, and for playing good football. It's almost as if referees simply don't believe they ever foul. IIRC the same was true of the two play off games last season.

Back