• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

how close should you get to the players

as a young man, I can remember playing football with derek spences kids in his bakc garden, everytime we played up north, which was fine, or making friends, with paul roberts, at the time he was older than me.

The big question for me is this, to we let our judgement of our players cloud our mind if we are too close to them??

For example the macca situation, he has been this season quite frankly awful, he has become the sort of player that you probably would get rid of at the end of the season on a free transfer, but according to some people on here, he is the mustard, this season?? Why not because of his performances, but cos he talks to people on facebook!! Or adam barratt nice man and a legend, but sadly this year to exposed to many times allowing players to go outside and inside of him. But again, becasue he lives locally and shops in some ones local tescos. it makes okay

the reality is this, we are having a poor season, not one player has been particularly outstanding, eg "revell" nice man, very good has time for the fans" but what a dreadful player.

We have to get of this rut of being all being rosy in the garden. the playersand the management take the collective responsibility for the mess we are in. For someone to say we will still make the play offs is clearly nonsense. we arr 14 points away from them for godsakes.

Precisely the reason why I'm not particularly keen on getting to know the players. I met Drewe Broughton once and he was a lovely bloke. It was almost enough - but not quite - to make me forget what a terrible player he was.

oh do cut the melodramatics

Mess ??

Mess = Hereford, Crewe, Cheltenham and the SadOs, and the like within a point or so of the drop zone ... maybe in a few weeks we will be down there, unlikely i feel, but if we are feel free to find me and i will admit to us being in a "mess"

Newcastle seem to have a highly successful policy of signing antisocial ****s over the years.

I would be much happier if our players were assaulting fans (or at least ridiculing their income before calling them a **** and telling them to **** off) who dared to approach them in clubs rather than becoming best mates.

Last edited:
Predictably, I suppose, I'm going to say that's a load of rubbish! I've met many Southend players over the years, most have been lovely people yet some exes I HAVEN'T met are Gary Hooper, JCR, Matt Harrold and Darryl Flahavan - other than at MTBD. Never stopped me defending any of them on here at times (Harrold, I may have been a little criticial of, but I was one of Hooper's staunchest supporters). I just believe people should get off their backs and being so hyper critical. That's just me, I'm afraid, had this discussion before on here - I prefer to encourage rather than discourage.

oh do cut the melodramatics

Mess ??

Mess = Hereford, Crewe, Cheltenham and the SadOs, and the like within a point or so of the drop zone ... maybe in a few weeks we will be down there, unlikely i feel, but if we are feel free to find me and i will admit to us being in a "mess"

This is a relegation battle season, it has been on the verge of freefall for weeks, trouble is people keep looking up the table instead of down cos they dont want to believe that Steve Tilson is in trouble if we dont pickup points soon.

The only reason we arent inthe bottom 4 now is loan players we never stood a chance of signing.

The club covered an open wound with plasters instead of a more permanant measure, while we all thought it was great beating leeds etc, some players who are on the books are not good enough.

Last edited:
Precisely the reason why I'm not particularly keen on getting to know the players. I met Drewe Broughton once and he was a lovely bloke. It was almost enough - but not quite - to make me forget what a terrible player he was.

Ah Drewe. I met him as well and yep, top bloke. ;)

On this subject I do think the column and the personality of Revell helps him with the fans. He's played 36 games and scored 4 goals and if he was a bit of a drip like a certain Mr Harrold, I'm sure he'd be slaughtered week in week out.

In the same way certain people on here clearly like McCormack as a person, I'm not so keen and have heard things from people within the club that don't help my thoughts, which means I find it a little easier to criticise his performances this year. Although in my opinion it should be there for all to see that he's been horrendous this year without the talent around him that he had last, perhaps which has shown his own abilities up.

Predictably, I suppose, I'm going to say that's a load of rubbish! I've met many Southend players over the years, most have been lovely people yet some exes I HAVEN'T met are Gary Hooper, JCR, Matt Harrold and Darryl Flahavan - other than at MTBD. Never stopped me defending any of them on here at times (Harrold, I may have been a little criticial of, but I was one of Hooper's staunchest supporters). I just believe people should get off their backs and being so hyper critical. That's just me, I'm afraid, had this discussion before on here - I prefer to encourage rather than discourage.

Thank gawd you underlined and highlighted for the less clever of us.
When you get to close to the club you love in my experiance it spoils it in many ways.

Thank gawd you underlined and highlighted for the less clever of us.
When you get to close to the club you love in my experiance it spoils it in many ways.

My point being Tony, I don't have to have met them to be able to defend them quite determinedly. I haven't actually met too many of the current lot to be honest.

Back