• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I had an interesting discussion with a lad from Corby yesterday, who reliably informed me that; a) Tories are racist, becasuse they're right wing b) I was a racist for leaning towards the Tories c) He'd rather vote BNP than Conservative, because at least they're honest about being racist and d) Labour care more about the working class than the Tories ever will.

It's that kind of narrow minded, stone age attitude that made a majority a monumental task for Cameron, despite the ineptitude of Brown's Labour.

Did you call him a bigoted woman?

This thread seems to be filled with a lot of condescending points of view. :thumbdown:

To say the majority of voters vote just because of the colour regardless, i feel is quite wrong. I am sure a lot of people especially this election have taken the effort to look into each parties manifesto/views and decided which they felt more comfortable with. candidate had the best hair.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did use one of my three votes in the council election on a candidate because I thought she was pretty fit for a politician and welcome to doorstep me any time.

Last edited:
You give people too much credit. There seems to be a lot of fools / idiots in this world / country (or whatever political leanings) that are too ignorant / lazy / entrenched / uninterested to bother to weigh up the issues and just vote for what they (or their father) always have done.

My views are entrenched enough to say I'll NEVER vote Tory (which incidently is the complete opposite to my father). However I am disillusioned enough to say I didn't vote Labour this time (not that my non-Tory vote counts for anything in Southend West).

My views are entrenched enough to say I'll NEVER vote Tory (which incidently is the complete opposite to my father). However I am disillusioned enough to say I didn't vote Labour this time (not that my non-Tory vote counts for anything in Southend West).

I'd say we're pretty much on the same wavelength here.My father always voted Tory whereas I was lifelong Labour(from 1970) until my last vote in Southend West which was a proxy vote for the Lib/Dems in 1997.

Last edited:

You voted? :stunned: How come? Not having a go or anything but if you've made the move to live abroad how can you have a say in the politics of the country you've chosen to leave? I'm honestly not being stroppy or anything just don't understand how this can possibly be considered acceptable. That's probably not the best word but it's late and I can't think what fits better.

You voted? :stunned: How come? Not having a go or anything but if you've made the move to live abroad how can you have a say in the politics of the country you've chosen to leave? I'm honestly not being stroppy or anything just don't understand how this can possibly be considered acceptable. That's probably not the best word but it's late and I can't think what fits better.

Agreed entirely. Surely someone who doesn't have to suffer our taxation shouldn't be entitled to decide how it's spent (applies for a few of our own too).

The warning signs were there. Since party conference season, Cameron did very little talking about what his government would do or what he would do as PM. Instead he let the press release the hounds on Brown - which a couple of times backfired.

Having a shadow chancellor that actually sounded less competant than those that were in power the previous 13 years didn't help either.

Interesting to note, however, that the Dirty Digger himself, Rupert Murdoch, was not in favour of puitting his support behind Cameron. It took months of persuasion from his son James and the editor of The Sun, Rebekah Brooks, before he reluctantly agreed. It is understood that a certain newspaper editor is hurredly looking for another job now ...

With his lack of action from conference season onwards, and lack of clear vision during the hustings, Cameron has thrown away an election that was almost unloseable just a few short months ago.

Even though I thought this may happen a while back, it seems almost amazing now it's actually happened. And the final insult; the new nickname currently doing the rounds from Cameron is now 'Devon Loch'. Very apt.

The warning signs were there. Since party conference season, Cameron did very little talking about what his government would do or what he would do as PM. Instead he let the press release the hounds on Brown - which a couple of times backfired.

Having a shadow chancellor that actually sounded less competant than those that were in power the previous 13 years didn't help either.

Interesting to note, however, that the Dirty Digger himself, Rupert Murdoch, was not in favour of puitting his support behind Cameron. It took months of persuasion from his son James and the editor of The Sun, Rebekah Brooks, before he reluctantly agreed. It is understood that a certain newspaper editor is hurredly looking for another job now ...

With his lack of action from conference season onwards, and lack of clear vision during the hustings, Cameron has thrown away an election that was almost unloseable just a few short months ago.

Even though I thought this may happen a while back, it seems almost amazing now it's actually happened. And the final insult; the new nickname currently doing the rounds from Cameron is now 'Devon Loch'. Very apt.

I think he lost it by being too soft on Brown.

Brown was an electoral liability, no-one rates him, yet he never properly went after his economic record.

Having Osborne as Chancellor probably didn't help, as the Tories were trying to hide him when the economy should have been the main issue.

I think he lost it by being too soft on Brown.

Brown was an electoral liability, no-one rates him, yet he never properly went after his economic record.
Having Osborne as Chancellor probably didn't help, as the Tories were trying to hide him when the economy should have been the main issue.

And Cameron's economic record is what?

Brown led 13 years of low inflation and low interets rates.

Yet in the 1991(?) who was it stood next to Norman Lamont outside the Treasury as the UK was forced to withdraw from the ERM, and had seen a dramatic rise in interest rates throughout the day until they reached 15%, and saw the likes of George Soros speculating by selling £'s on the foreign exchanges?

The answer one half of the Eton Trifles.

C C Csiders said:
Brown led 13 years of low inflation and low interets rates.

To be fair it was the MPC who did that

Last edited:

It's not that difficult.I know someone who's still on the electoral roll in Worcester(a highly marginal seat)yet she's lived abroad nearly as long as me.She lives in France,is married to a Frenchman and has two teenage kids who've been brought up in France.

Last edited:

Why not, Kay? He is still a British Citizen and British Passport Holder. He could at any time choose to ccome back to this country, and he retains an interest in what happens here.

And where do you draw the line? Plenty of people move abroad on long term contracts, for years at a time, yet have every intention of returning to live in the UK. Would you deny them their right to vote? The current system works by placing a time limit (BarnaBlue will be able to tell us how long it is) on how long you live abroad before you lose your vote and that seems emminently sensible to me. And (appealing to the Tory Pragmatist in you) most overseas voters (think pensioners in Spain, for instance) vote Tory. It is the Conservatives who will lose most votes if this is curtailed.

;)

Why not, Kay? He is still a British Citizen and British Passport Holder. He could at any time choose to ccome back to this country, and he retains an interest in what happens here.

And where do you draw the line? Plenty of people move abroad on long term contracts, for years at a time, yet have every intention of returning to live in the UK. Would you deny them their right to vote? The current system works by placing a time limit (BarnaBlue will be able to tell us how long it is) on how long you live abroad before you lose your vote and that seems emminently sensible to me. And (appealing to the Tory Pragmatist in you) most overseas voters (think pensioners in Spain, for instance) vote Tory. It is the Conservatives who will lose most votes if this is curtailed.

;)

15 years(used to be 20).

;)
I am an EU Passport holder, and could at any time choose to live in France, Spain etc etc. Should I have a right to vote there?

Closer to home, I could choose to live in Scotland. Should I have a right to vote there?

I am an EU Passport holder, and could at any time choose to live in France, Spain etc etc. Should I have a right to vote there?

Closer to home, I could choose to live in Scotland. Should I have a right to vote there?

Actually,you would only have a right to vote in France,Spain or any other EU state at local and European elections if you chose to live there and NOT at General Elections unless you took out full citizenship of the EU country concerned and thus renounced your British citizenship.

Last edited:
Back