• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am an EU Passport holder, and could at any time choose to live in France, Spain etc etc. Should I have a right to vote there?

Closer to home, I could choose to live in Scotland. Should I have a right to vote there?

Similarly I live in Arundel and South Downs, but could well be moving in a few weeks time. Do I have the right to vote anywhere in the country?

You have a right to vote in the area you will be living in at the time of electoral registration, so i am little confused by your response.

It's quite simple, I'll be living in one place during the election, but voting for someone who wont be my MP for more than a few weeks. The point I was making was that I'm voting in an area that really doesn't concern me, yet wont be able to vote for someone who'll probably be my MP for the next few years (or until I next move)

And (appealing to the Tory Pragmatist in you) most overseas voters (think pensioners in Spain, for instance) vote Tory. It is the Conservatives who will lose most votes if this is curtailed.

;)

And you know this to be fact? How?

I have seen a long time ago a programme on this subject, where it was strongly suggested that this is the case. To be fair, that then included the large numbers of British troops in Germany who are traditionally thought to favour the Tories, and I mentioned it as a little dig at Kay who might or might not be a Tory :angel:.

However, a quick search found this:

Tories urge Expats to vote which strongly suggests that the Tories, at least, believe it to be true.

£1 = 1 vote. Lib dems would then have even less seats :clap:

If we had an "opposite" system for those on benefits we'd rid this country of the daft lefties!!

WE did have that , around teh time of 1800-1900's and where people signed their voting slips so they got paid by the right "parties" . Social change came about by people unaligned by politics and we had small revolutions (Chalres Dickens and Bleak House and Oliver twist starting this).

Though at teh time some with with money were more likely to have the same intelligence level as horse **** so ... teh country got what it deserverd

WE did have that , around teh time of 1800-1900's and where people signed their voting slips so they got paid by the right "parties" . Social change came about by people unaligned by politics and we had small revolutions (Chalres Dickens and Bleak House and Oliver twist starting this).

Though at teh time some with with money were more likely to have the same intelligence level as horse **** so ... teh country got what it deserverd

I think that those not reliant on benefits are far more likely to vote for the countries interest rather than their own, when compared to those on benefits with a vested interest.

I think that those not reliant on benefits are far more likely to vote for the countries interest rather than their own, when compared to those on benefits with a vested interest.

I wouldn't agree. Mainly those driven normally at the level your alluding to have their own self interest before all other considerations as they believe what their are doing (often without any real evidence ) is benefiting the rest of the country , because they are happy and secure.

It's more likely those who have time to separate from vocation their own intrests in life and society as a whole .that see the longer and larger picture (which is as a rule neither one of the social groups we're talking about :( ).

£1 = 1 vote. Lib dems would then have even less seats :clap:

Tsk! Obviously not spending enough on education these days. Fewer seats. Less would only apply in the days of the (very) great Cyril Smith. :whistling: See below.

If we had an "opposite" system for those on benefits we'd rid this country of the daft lefties!!

But your "vested interest" is lower taxation. It is pretty unsuprising that when carefully analysed people's opinions on what is in the countries' interest coincide pretty closely with what is in their own interest.

29 Stone of Lib Dem MP:

C_71_article_509813_body_articleblock_0_bodyimage.jpg

Last edited:
Tsk! Obviously not spending enough on education these days. Fewer seats. Less would only apply in the days of the (very) great Cyril Smith. :whistling: See below.

But your "vested interest" is lower taxation. It is pretty unsuprising that when carefully analysed people's opinions on what is in the countries' interest coincide pretty closely with what is in their own interest.

29 Stone of Lib Dem MP:

C_71_article_509813_body_articleblock_0_bodyimage.jpg

I'd love lower taxation, and am delighted about the cut in Corp tax and the fact I'm going to save a very substantial sum on the Employers NI staying the same as proposed by Conservatives (although I'd imagine in most companies, this would just come out of the "pay increase" fund - defeating the purpose of Labours intended tax increase).

However, I've maintained the stance that at the moment, what the country needs is a freeze on taxation (cutting it seems counter-productive to me) and an immediate decrease in public spending.

Back