• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How do you assess Sol’s start at the hall

I haven't met any of the 600 odd home fans who witnessed that win, they are probably still recovering from the shock!

Jaw dropping comment from Alan Shearer on MOTD last night: "Arsenal aren't good enough to play out from the back"........!!

Just watched yesterdays goals. All four involved us giving them the ball in our own half. Very much of the view that Campbell needs to be given time, but I am surprised at the tactics he is using given our goal difference. I would have thought the safe thing to do in the short term would be to play ugly and for the centre halves to get it as far up the field as possible.

As a team, we are as clueless with him as a manger as we have been for the last 18 months. so much for a new broom, clean sweep. As someone who spent their playing life as a defender one would expect him to try and get that right.

There has been no ‘new manager bounce’ under Sol, as bad as things were under Powell and Bond at least they had a few positive results when they first took over. His tactics of playing out from the back yesterday beggared belief, it may as well have been Kevin Bond in the dugout. He is managing a team who has 5 points from 18 games and has conceded 50+ goals this season, not a team of premier league galacticos! Let’s see if he can improve things once he is able to bring in his own players. He has certainly been dealt bad hand being lumbered with old pros whose legs have gone, terrible signings from the previous three years and youngsters who are not ready yet. But part of his remit is to get the best out of this hapless bunch of players, at the moment he has made no improvement at all.

We were up **** creek without a paddle before Sol came in. This squad is ****.. no matter what formation or style of play Sol tried to get this bunch of ****ers to play they will still be ****. Won’t see change until squad starts changing.

Difficult situation with veery little to work with.

I am not judging Sol either eway until games into next season, when he has had 2 transfer windows to work in.

The players however are a different story.

I think it says a lot about this group of players that a struggling league two Macclesfield, who's players weren't getting paid, can take to Sols plan better than them.

I am interested to see what Sol thinks he can do in January and whether or not Ron will let it happen completely. After that we can start judging him properly.

You're right of course. But surely it can't last, something has to give.
Another relegation which frankly is a given could be the straw which breaks the camels back.

Agree fully mate. It’s quite incredible/frightening how Martin keeps finding cash from thin air.

I do genuinely worry about our future. Forget the hyperbole about a new stadium, I honestly think we’ll be lucky if we’re still in existence in 10-years time.

Agree fully mate. It’s quite incredible/frightening how Martin keeps finding cash from thin air.
I do genuinely worry about our future. Forget the hyperbole about a new stadium, I honestly think we’ll be lucky if we’re still in existence in 10-years time.

To be honest, i think Fossets Farm will be rejected, Council only interested in Seaway project?.
I fear our future within next 3 years.

My worry is his references in his interviews to wanting to play football. It's not rocket science to realise that the rubbish we currently have are not capable, so why do it? Work with what you've got and then maybe gradually change when hopefully new personnel who are capable of playing football are brought in. But I do worry - playing out from the back is a skill even Arsenal struggle with so how are we going to attract players in January who can do what Sol wants?

What we need first is a back to the basics long ball die for the shirt mentality, not pretty but it is the situation we are in now (and will almost certainly be in next season in League Two where the approach is more agricultural) - get those types of players in to turn the tide and then slowly introduce a more attractive style from there. But from what he's saying it doesn't seem we'll get this approach so I just t hink even post January we will continue to get battered.

Does anyone know how Sol kept Macclesfield up? What was his formula there?

Back