• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How do you assess Sol’s start at the hall

Yep, the first 8 years worth this decade and Tilly before that.

Last edited:
Just revisiting this thread - has anything changed ? Do we look any closer to winning ?

Again my thoughts are we look fitter since Sol arrived , we picked up a few draws against teams around us but our form guide is still the worst in the division .
have we faith in that Sol is the right man to take us forward ?

No, but unless he walks, we will have the pleasure of his company for some time I feel. COYBB

Just revisiting this thread - has anything changed ? Do we look any closer to winning ?

Again my thoughts are we look fitter since Sol arrived , we picked up a few draws against teams around us but our form guide is still the worst in the division .
have we faith in that Sol is the right man to take us forward ?
Fact is we are losing ground week by week. The fact that some people are encouraged by us drawing against teams almost as bad as us shows just how low are our expectations. Faith has to be earned. He needs to show he deserves it, something he has failed to do up to now.

He knew the situation when he took over, the honeymoon period is over

He has to be judged on results and so far not good, not his fault he has signed a decent contract, but no excuses now, not one win is a poor showing

Law of averages means he must win soon, but not to improve our position is down to the manager, players shoulder some of the blame, but end of the day he is the manager

I’m still not fully judging him till the end of the season. I must admit I hoped we’d have a few wins by now especially given the relatively “easy” fixtures over Christmas and New Year. Disappointed we haven’t taken chances.

I think Sol is struggling with the quality of the squad and the style he wants play .I think it was Ricey who thought Steve Evans might be more suited to our situation ,unfortunately I think his style would have got more points and more out of these players .
Long term is a different matter and the pantomime which is controlled by Ron goes on.......

We are an oil tanker that has been heading in the wrong direction since November 2016 and slowly gathering pace.
When Sol arrived, it was hurtling along at breakneck speed. He has slowed it down. But it's going to take a long time to turn it around.
The entire club is rotten from the top down.

I believe when Sol took over he (and nearly all of us) said that he can't really be judged until he's had a chance to rebuild. With Cox leaving that has started.

After this window we'll be able to start assessing. Note, I said start. Again, don't expect miracles. The real rebuild will start in the summer.

I believe when Sol took over he (and nearly all of us) said that he can't really be judged until he's had a chance to rebuild. With Cox leaving that has started.

After this window we'll be able to start assessing. Note, I said start. Again, don't expect miracles. The real rebuild will start in the summer.
Rebuilding for a lower standard of football ....says it all ....we are going backwards at a fast rate,and haven't found the corner to turn yet.

I think one of the major problems here is, people are unable to accept that facts that in front of them.

The team is dire. It’s totally befitting of a lower Lg2 team - at best. It’s the sole reason we’ll be relegated in May. Not the Sol reason.

Anyone expecting anything more, are sadly clutching at straws.

Will sacking Sol make us better? No.

Will sacking Sol ease our cashflow problems? No.

He may well turn out to be the worst manager Southend have ever had - but judging him based upon what he’s currently got to work with, seems a little hasty and daft, frankly.

Last edited:
I think one of the major problems here is, people are unable to accept that facts that in front of them.

The team is dire. It’s totally befitting of a lower Lg2 team - at best. It’s the sole reason we’ll be relegated in May. Not the Sol reason.

Anyone expecting anything more, are sadly clutching at straws.

Will sacking Sol make us better? No.

Will sacking Sol ease our cashflow problems? No.

He may well turn out to be the worst manager Southend have ever had - but judging him based upon what he’s currently got to work with, seems a little hasty and daft, frankly.

The question never said sacking, it was his assessment, and frankly its poor

Any other manager would have been hung up to dry, but because he performed a miracle at Macclesfield one swallow does not make a summer

I hope he does the business and turns things around, but when people are paying £ 25 to watch the team and see little improvement a part from fitness, then the buck stops with Sol

Not a dig at him, not a sacking post, but a true assessment, not one win is totally unacceptable, we had the easy games over Christmas as most posters wrote and couldn't get a win

That's reality and a true assessment, hopefully the first win will come Saturday

we were losing heavily until Sol arrived.

1/ he said the team had to get fitter

2/ he said he had to reduce goals conceded

3/ he said it would take time ...

I would say hes doing a great a job.

Back