• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How do you assess Sol’s start at the hall

We've seen improvements, it's just not been as quick as football fans demand. We're competing in games, got a good point against Rotherham (now top of the league) and arguably could have beaten Franchise and Tranmere. Sol has to have time to start making the changes that he wants to make to get this club competing again. He can't even play his preferred formation at the moment, our squad is so poor and unbalanced.

we were losing heavily until Sol arrived.

1/ he said the team had to get fitter

2/ he said he had to reduce goals conceded

3/ he said it would take time ...

I would say hes doing a great a job.

As much as I agree with you it is worth noting what Paul Clark said on BBC Essex. He laughed at the fitness issue because (as he put it) most managers say that when they take a new job because it gives them time.

Sol didn't take the job of turning around 2-3 months of bad form- it was long term underperformance with a squad whose confidence is shot to to bits. Expecting that to be turned around quickly is sheer fantasy.

At the moment the squad has, against this back drop, not got a single player he brought in.

We can hope for a miracle this season, more realistically if he can get 2-3 in and finish the year positively with maybe mid-table L1 form, improve a bit further in the summer, then perhaps it ensures next season is were we see success.

Anyhow I think Ron and Sol are committed to each other until at least the end of next season for all sorts of reasons.

The question never said sacking, it was his assessment, and frankly its poor

Any other manager would have been hung up to dry, but because he performed a miracle at Macclesfield one swallow does not make a summer

I hope he does the business and turns things around, but when people are paying £ 25 to watch the team and see little improvement a part from fitness, then the buck stops with Sol

Not a dig at him, not a sacking post, but a true assessment, not one win is totally unacceptable, we had the easy games over Christmas as most posters wrote and couldn't get a win

That's reality and a true assessment, hopefully the first win will come Saturday

How can you assess someone fairly, based on the current situation?

Would you judge a surgeon who was trying to perform open heart surgery, whilst the operating room was burning down around him, and his colleagues were firing spit balls at him?

I mean, you could, but it’s utterly pointless.

But sure, fill your boots, Sol’s reign has been crap.

Sadly, I expected no less, so I guess that’s why I’m pretty blasé about the matter. Anyone who thought a new manager would come in and turn this tripe around, was simply expecting to much.

As much as I agree with you it is worth noting what Paul Clark said on BBC Essex. He laughed at the fitness issue because (as he put it) most managers say that when they take a new job because it gives them time.

And let we, he and others had been mentioning precisely the same repeatedly as we continually fell apart in the last 10 minutes- in fact I am sure PC going on about fitness being important as when you are tired you lose concentration- and he would have been spot on..

Also, I’d just like to add, if we’d got the team of AB and Tilly to take over, right now we’d have numerous threads saying it was too soon for Barrett to take charge & Tilly is a hasbeen.

Such is the wonderful world of the average football fan.

And let we, he and others had been mentioning precisely the same repeatedly as we continually fell apart in the last 10 minutes- in fact I am sure PC going on about fitness being important as when you are tired you lose concentration- and he would have been spot on..

Indeed. In this case it might actually be true, but we should take that with at least a pinch of salt.

]

You can see the visible change in the players physique ...

I don't believe there was a professional fitness and conditioning regime since Phil B left

Anyway we are now competitive ...

]

You can see the visible change in the players physique ...

I don't believe there was a professional fitness and conditioning regime since Phil B left

Anyway we are now competitive ...

From my understanding, the players were allowed to self-police themselves, and one of those factors included doing their own fitness work.

Too many of them preferred to slink off into the canteen, rather than actually getting in the gym.

Sol has put a stop to that.

He was brought in to keep us up..... after all thats what Ron promised us when he made his famous we are not going down speech.

The judgement starts from now. He's had time to get the players fit and understanding his message. He's made changes, got rid of Cox and had time to bring some in. Now it is on him.

The judgement starts from now. He's had time to get the players fit and understanding his message. He's made changes, got rid of Cox and had time to bring some in. Now it is on him.

Don’t you think that it were upto Sol, he’d have probably brought in about 8-9 new players so far?

He can only deal with what he’s got, and what he gets.

And what he gets, isn’t down to him, thats down to Ron.

Don’t you think that it were upto Sol, he’d have probably brought in about 8-9 new players so far?

He can only deal with what he’s got, and what he gets.

And what he gets, isn’t down to him, thats down to Ron.
Sorry GBJ you are so far off the mark
The manager has alienated players with his attitude, whether you want to believe or not is another thing, but one more will be gone soon and everyone on here will say why wasn’t he given a chance
Arrogance and confidence is a fine line I’m afraid

The manager has alienated players with his attitude, whether you want to believe or not is another thing, but one more will be gone soon and everyone on here will say why wasn’t he given a chance

Or maybe he's confronted the players' attitudes, which was left unchecked previously and has put their noses out of joint?

As I’ve already told you previously, the attitudes within this club are ****ing rancid.

If Sol has alienated them - good.

I’d like to alienate them myself, but probably in a different way to what Sol has.

I don’t need to reel off a list of their “highlights”, for you to know just how bad things have been.

And again as I told you before, just because a player (Hutchinson?) has told you one side of the story, doesn’t mean it’s the truthful side.

If Sol has decided to **** him off, then I dare say there’s a reason behind it.

At the moment - and I say this respectfully, as I’ve got no axe to grind with you - you’re acting like the parent who’s kid can do no wrong, and it’s everyone/everything else that’s the problem.

Always two sides to a story.

As I’ve already told you previously, the attitudes within this club are ****ing rancid.

If Sol has alienated them - good.

I’d like to alienate them myself, but probably in a different way to what Sol has.

I don’t need to reel off a list of their “highlights”, for you to know just how bad things have been.

And again as I told you before, just because a player (Hutchinson?) has told you one side of the story, doesn’t mean it’s the truthful side.

If Sol has decided to **** him off, then I dare say there’s a reason behind it.

At the moment - and I say this respectfully, as I’ve got no axe to grind with you - you’re acting like the parent who’s kid can do no wrong, and it’s everyone/everything else that’s the problem.

Always two sides to a story.

Sadly I am not a parent of any players or any family members of players, but I let you have the final say on the matter and respect your views

UTS

Sadly I am not a parent of any players or any family members of players, but I let you have the final say on the matter and respect your views

UTS

As I said, I’ve got no axe to grind with you mate.

You’re entirely entitled to your views.

How anyone can defend these players is madness. The same players that have downed tools for what 4-5 managers now?

If Sol has got their backs up then GOOD! He's doing something the other managers obviously let slide.

If it means X, Y, Z wants to cry and go play somewhere else - GOOD.... good riddance. Maybe Sol can get players in who want to play for Southend and him (and us).

But please, please dont for one minute defend the players for not liking Sol's attitude ffs!!!!

I dont care who goes - if you dont want to be here, dont want to work for Sol and the fans, dont care about the club - then GO... we'll always find other players.

thanks goodness for that ... ..

the "alienated" players are working harder and drawing games and not losing 4 - 0 every week

lets hope he can alienate them some more

If Hutchinson is getting sold .... so be it.

the fact is we need the money and the lad deserves the chance to better himself.

At the moment his silky skills can't help us until we get some heaviness in midfield

Back