• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How do you assess Sol’s start at the hall

I think Sol is beginning to turn things round. And I do not believe it is too late to avoid relegation. Momentum is so important in life, and, as many others on this board have pointed out, we have some vital games against fellow-strugglers coming up now which might provide a platform for building a bit of a run.

I am pleased he has not persisted with five at the back when it was clearly not working. That is a good sign.

The return of Mantom and Demetriou could be a turning point if they can both stay fit. Sol seems a deeply engaged and driven manager, and also comes across as a thoughtful and hightly intelligent person.

Look Kiwi, respect regarding positivity, however, it's a s*** state of affairs, Sol is on a one way jetski off the miami coast, worrying how much he plays out of defence
Both Mantom and Dem don't won't to be here and even the Great Ramondo himself couldn't save us now!

No, it's "Jolly Boys Outing, Morecombe '20" for us! Enjoy!! and Happy Christmas

I think he is doing as well as he can with the shambles we call United. Hopefully a few new faces introduced in January will allow him to build something for next season in League Two.

I think if we cannot beat Bolton Saturday, this shows problems with players and the manager

Dick Bates record seriously in danger now, and never thought I would say that about a manager of Southend Utd again in my lifetime

Look Kiwi, respect regarding positivity, however, it's a s*** state of affairs, Sol is on a one way jetski off the miami coast, worrying how much he plays out of defence
Both Mantom and Dem don't won't to be here and even the Great Ramondo himself couldn't save us now!

No, it's "Jolly Boys Outing, Morecombe '20" for us! Enjoy!! and Happy Christmas

Not sure this is actually so... No reason to believe either were or are unhappy other than frustration with the way things were and the results. All players will be very keen to do everything possible to stay up for reasons of pride, standard of football, direct and indirect financial reasons, where applicable. However, any players who have been told to look for other clubs may feel differently of course

Heard a very distressing story about an alleged disagreement between players at the training ground recently in which one group of players was laughing at the predicament we're in and showing total ignorance towards supporters, whilst another got feisty with them and told them they were being totally disrespectful and they should show more respect - quoted the kind of money supporters pay to support the club across the land. No idea if it's true and won't name names, but shows the kind of problem that Sol is having to deal with off the field.

Heard a very distressing story about an alleged disagreement between players at the training ground recently in which one group of players was laughing at the predicament we're in and showing total ignorance towards supporters, whilst another got feisty with them and told them they were being totally disrespectful and they should show more respect - quoted the kind of money supporters pay to support the club across the land. No idea if it's true and won't name names, but shows the kind of problem that Sol is having to deal with off the field.

And this is exactly the reason we should have a full clear out and start again.

And it is that group of players who need to go, I'm sure Campbell knows what's needed. I can guess at least 3 of the group. It's obvious from the way they play and the body language, both in warm ups and in matches. Sadly, these players want the lifestyle of a pro footballer but don't want to put in the hard graft and so will be forever lower league players. So, who's really laughing?? Who do they think will be signing them and taking them away from this place they hate so much? National League or League 2 clubs perhaps, but nobody decent.

A "full clear out" seems excessive.

There are training ground bust-ups all the time. What matters is the performance on the pitch and that is improving week on week at the moment.

Sounds like certain players are marking their own cards. If SC heard it and any or all of those who allegedly came out with such detrimental remarks were on his 'maybe' unload list, they've done themselves no favours whatsoever and just made his decision easier.

There are training ground bust-ups all the time. What matters is the performance on the pitch and that is improving week on week at the moment.

There is a poisonous couple who are destroying the others. Once that mentality has set in it’s hard to get it back.

Need to get rid 4/5 troublemakers out of this club, only 15 days left then we can try and ship them out.

Sadly this isn't a normal case of players falling out as is part and parcel, as you suggest. This is something that's worse and has been happening for a good while. Certain players DO need to go. Others have demonstrated recently on the pitch, that they wish to stay and fight.

Not only that.It won't be possible unless we're prepared to pay off certain players ' contracts or effectively pay them for not playing (as with eg Oxley).

Almost 2 points a game required to make us (possibly) safe on 42. A win every other game? A very tall order.

I think if we cannot beat Bolton Saturday, this shows problems with players and the manager

Dick Bates record seriously in danger now, and never thought I would say that about a manager of Southend Utd again in my lifetime
We cannot compere Sol and Bate ,Sol has not signed anyone yet where as Bate bought in Steel , Ramsey and one of the worst players to put on a Southend shirt Richard Young , we will see come Jan how Sol is going to turn the club round .

Are we starting to see Andy Cole's influence in our attacking play? The through ball for our 2nd away at Bristol Rovers for example, and the same type of thing attempted on Saturday. Admittedly it didn't all come off, but the intent was there.

Or am I just imagining it?

We cannot compere Sol and Bate ,Sol has not signed anyone yet where as Bate bought in Steel , Ramsey and one of the worst players to put on a Southend shirt Richard Young , we will see come Jan how Sol is going to turn the club round .

Oh Ok then sorry players are to blame for the defeats and no one else , the management team get a free ride, whilst earning their monies

That's a fair assumption, so you take on the role as manager, watch them a few times, understand the problems and hid behind the players not being good enough and moan they cannot perform a simple task in training

Not a dig at Sol, but he has to take it on the chin, he signed up knowing the situation even just by watching so has to take an equal share and if he beats Dick Bates record then so be it

Eric Steele had decent credentials- held the Peterborough record for consecutive apperances, won 5 promotions with various clubs..
Chris Ramsey also had decent experience- won back to back promotions at Swindon before coming here and played in an FA Cup final.
Richard Young was crap to be fair.

sometimes some managers are just crap.

I can't believe what I read on here sometimes. Nobody was going to come into the Club and make an instant difference. There are signs of improvement, for a start the shape is much better throughout the game. The players do seem fitter and most on Saturday seemed to care.

Disappointed to see Milligan, Kiernan and Cox disappear as soon as the final whistle went. One can only assume they are part of the problem.

Sol was the best option available and presumably affordable. He will need at least the next two transfer windows to move the Club in the right direction.

Back