• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How do you assess Sol’s start at the hall

Re above. A poisionous couple of players is not a full clear out.

We are also assuming this story is true.

Eric Steele had decent credentials- held the Peterborough record for consecutive apperances, won 5 promotions with various clubs..
Chris Ramsey also had decent experience- won back to back promotions at Swindon before coming here and played in an FA Cup final.
Richard Young was crap to be fair.

sometimes some managers are just crap.
To be honest Steele let in 47 goals in his first 17 league games for Southend and I dont think that Ramsey ever picked up a win bonus at Southend , they might of had experience at other clubs but that seemed to go when playing for Southend .

Re above. A poisionous couple of players is not a full clear out.

We are also assuming this story is true.

Absolutely, I thought I made this quite clear.

I would be happy if we started from scratch. I’m not speaking for other people.

It has been said from a number of very reliable sources that there is a few bad apples in the group.

Yes there is a poisonous couple but those have destroyed the morale and mentality of those already here who aren’t poisonous. Some we may never get back to the best they can be.

This is purely my opinion I wouldn’t be overly disappointed if we had a full clear out and started again. You don’t have to agree with it.

I personally think Sol has already massively improved us - and I mean that. They’re fitter, working harder, scoring goals, fighting and competing more than they were. There’s a clear structure to how he wants to play and I think some better results are around the corner - nowhere near enough to get us anywhere close to safe btw.

We were seriously **** before he came in, now we’re just crap.

It has been said from a number of very reliable sources that there is a few bad apples in the group.

Yes there is a poisonous couple but those have destroyed the morale and mentality of those already here who aren’t poisonous. Some we may never get back to the best they can be.

This is purely my opinion I wouldn’t be overly disappointed if we had a full clear out and started again. You don’t have to agree with it.

Obviously we couldn't afford to pay up 30 players and staff and then sign another 30. So I guess your are saying we just go bust and drop out of the league, like Bury?

A few bad apples doesn't men you take a chain saw to your orchard.

The key to @OldBlueLady post is that it mentions a group allegedly challenged this and thought it was wrong. These are the people, I'll wager, who are currently in the manager's longer term thoughts and the "bad apples" are those who probably know their number is up anyway.

If any dissection of the squad needs to be done, it just needs a prune, IMHO.

Sol is already beginning to make changes in our fitness, mentality and style of play which the squad are responding to.

I don't think there's a need for wholesale changes based on a perception, rather than anything based on evidence.

If there were just a few bad apples why wouldn't you isolate them from the rest of the squad or put them on gardening leave until January?

Obviously we couldn't afford to pay up 30 players and staff and then sign another 30. So I guess your are saying we just go bust and drop out of the league, like Bury?

A few bad apples doesn't men you take a chain saw to your orchard.

Don’t be stupid! Why would I want that. I obviously know the situation and know it’s not as easy as that but just do it at the earliest opportunity. I haven’t said staff, it’s purely those on the pitch!

Almost 2 points a game required to make us (possibly) safe on 42. A win every other game? A very tall order.

My master plan is to win the next 5 fixtures ( or at least 4 of them) because lets face it winning those games is the only way to close the gap on them then we would need to win 6(or7) draw 6 lose 6 (or 5) from the last 18 ( doable?) to get to 46 points.

I can't see any other way.

If there were just a few bad apples why wouldn't you isolate them from the rest of the squad or put them on gardening leave until January?

I think a couple of the bad apples are some of our better players and the jury might be out as to whether some might just be in a friendship group with bad apples. I have one particular player in mind that I've heard about that I would love to keep if we feel he would be ok separated from another player.

Sorry, very cryptic

My master plan is to win the next 5 fixtures ( or at least 4 of them) because lets face it winning those games is the only way to close the gap on them then we would need to win 6(or7) draw 6 lose 6 (or 5) from the last 18 ( doable?) to get to 46 points.

I can't see any other way.

I'd see where we are after those upcoming 5 and who comes and goes in January. Still a big big ask and one hell of a U-turn after the first half of the season.

There's enough players whose contracts run out in June to be able to have a complete refresh of the squad.

We are still John White, Harry Kyprianou, Sam Barrett, Charlie Kelman , Lewis Gard, Joe Shaughnessy and dare I say it Luke Hyam away from having the whole squad fit. Is Theo returning in January?

I'd see where we are after those upcoming 5 and who comes and goes in January. Still a big big ask and one hell of a U-turn after the first half of the season.

Totally agree but there are seeds - we have been in the lead in each of the last three games - we just need to keep it. A centre half and someone pacey on loan and a fit Hopper could swing it.

There's enough players whose contracts run out in June to be able to have a complete refresh of the squad.

We are still John White, Harry Kyprianou, Sam Barrett, Charlie Kelman , Lewis Gard, Joe Shaughnessy and dare I say it Luke Hyam away from having the whole squad fit. Is Theo returning in January?

I very much doubt we'll ever see Theo in a Southend shirt again.

Don’t be stupid! Why would I want that. I obviously know the situation and know it’s not as easy as that but just do it at the earliest opportunity. I haven’t said staff, it’s purely those on the pitch!

How many supposed "bad apples" are there, then?

How many supposed "bad apples" are there, then?

You may have misread my reply. I meant I know the situation with contracts etc not the amount of bad apples. That would be purely guess work.

Exactly my point @MK Shrimper and @Ricey

Say it's, I don't know, three people and say two of them already know they are leaving in January and are just having a moan up at who is left. I doubt very much that an entire squad becomes rotten because a couple of people may be causing an issue.

It's about how the new manager and coaching staff handle it and from what I have seen, the squad is definitely pulling together.

It's all supposition that has little basis on fact.

Back