• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How do you find out how old a house is?

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Me and the Mrs are moving into my mums old house in a few months. My mum has no idea how old it is.

I'm guessing about 200 years old . Is there a way to put your postcode etc in somewhere and find out?

Yeah apparently there is a discrepancy. The original house is much older than the deeds which are from when the house was renovated.

The Land Registry may have clues, but is primarily a registry of who owns the property not what is on the property. eg It could have been bombed during the war and then rebuilt. Registration wasn't compulsory until the 1990s (although it was introduced earlier in some parts of the country). Deeds may refer to parcels of land being split up or contain plans though.

A neighbour may know the age of their own house (if they look similar they were probably built at the same time) or a surveyor, or at a push an estate agent, may be able to estimate based on the style.

Alternatively local historians may be able to help.

Yeah apparently there is a discrepancy. The original house is much older than the deeds which are from when the house was renovated.
have you checked old maps of the area to see if the street was there ?
check the address on the censuses, these are generally available on line and go back to 1850
Are there any archictectural features which are original which may date the property, chimney style, door height , brick types etc ? These may give a rough age and I imagine that the info would be on the net somewhere.

If it's in Southend itself, then there's some good local groups on FB that might be able to help.

Thanks for the advice . The property is in thundersley. I might ask a local historian. Just interested to know as I think the house may be a lot older than people think it is.

Either way I'm looking forward to moving in.

Thanks for the advice . The property is in thundersley. I might ask a local historian. Just interested to know as I think the house may be a lot older than people think it is.

Cricko knows a lot about "old" Thundersley, he may have an idea. Again, there is an absolute wealth of local knowledge out there, worth trying this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/435655719854205/

200 years that's very old. When you think of it there are very few houses in this area over 150 years old. You are pre-dating even some of the earliest maps so dating it will be very hard. Royal Terrace Southend was built in the 1790's so 225 years old that's the sort of era you might be looking at.

I really wonder what some of our current housing will look like in 200 years time. Lets face it there is so much of it about now some of it must survive in some shape or form? Will all the new housing estates now being built still be about in 200 years?

I cant see my house (built 1975) being around in 200 years but that means virtually every house in the whole area being knocked down and rebuilt, quite a scary thought.

Is it actually in St Peters? Very close to where I grew up. On the history note, I found out a little while ago there you used to be quite a large silent film studio in Benfleet.

Back