• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How do you rate England’s campaign?

What’s your rating?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.1%

Votes: 1 2.1%

Votes: 2 4.2%

Votes: 18 37.5%

Votes: 22 45.8%

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Been some interesting reactions after elimination with some saying it has been brilliant and is the start of a new era whilst others have said it was a missed opportunity and we should be in the final, so how do you rate the whole World Cup campaign for England?

For me, it was very promising. Great to see fans fall in love with international football again with a likeable team. That said we never looked threatening from open play, even at times against Panama, and had we lost the lottery of a shoot-out to Colombia there could be an entirely different feeling.

Great to see some of the lower profile names really stand out with Maguire, Pickford, Trippier probably the best trio. As usual, bigger names seemed to let the side down at times, Kane faded with each game and seemed to drop deeper and deeper and still didn’t look fully fit after his injury towards the end of the season and Sterling couldn’t find the end product despite not playing badly (in my opinion). Dele Alli at his best would have given us the creativity we were crying out for but looked like a passenger.

I haven’t enjoyed a tournament from an England perspective that much in my lifetime though, so a decent mark from me.

Last edited:
Work in progress for me so quite a low mark. Too many of the bigger names were under par when it mattered.

We reached the semi final of the world cup with a lot of young players, players that only have a few caps and you score low? Yes they are a WIP team but what a great achievement. We got further then Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina and Germany but you give a low score. God knows what you would have scored had we gone out when any of the above aforementioned did

We reached the semi final of the world cup with a lot of young players, players that only have a few caps and you score low? Yes they are a WIP team but what a great achievement. We got further then Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina and Germany but you give a low score. God knows what you would have scored had we gone out when any of the above aforementioned did

We reached the semi-final against fairly moderate opponents. They will do better in the future.

I was just about to start a thread on who you thought the best England player was in the tournament, but on reflection this is a better way of rating the team rather than the players, well done Manor. I've given them an 8 and they've given me a lot of good memories, and, as is the way with England teams, some despair. Three moments last night stood out, Harry's two attempts on goal, Lingard's attempt to place his shot, and the one that really grated was John Stones header which was brilliantly cleared off the line by their defender. Why the **** did he have to chose that moment to get in the way? Anyway thanks for the memories England.........and Trippier was my England player of the tournament by the way.

Last edited:
Qualified from our group with a match to spare; negotiated tricky knockout stages against a good Colombian side and a well-organised Swedish side; dominated the first half of a World Cup semi-final whilst rekindling interest in the English side.

That's at least an 8/10.

Sure it was a disappointing end but we've never done better in my life time.

I think this team may now have peaked but that's a side we can be proud of.

Ok, it rekindled the interest in the national team, and I'm hurting today as I probably did in 1990. Some players have performed wonderfully.....but....

1) Kane. He'll probably win the Golden Boot and only scored once from open play (I'm not including the fluke goal v Panama). He hardly set the world alight.
2) For all the plaudits, Sterling should have scored. No doubt when he's back in the Prem he'll be banging them in for fun. When he puts the England shirt on he chokes.
3) Alli & Lingard didn't turn up when it mattered most.
4) We only dominated two teams. Panana and Sweden and for one half, Croatia. We were woefully exposed in the second half and against Belgium (ok, two "b" teams).

We're obviously still a work in progress and still behind a lot of teams. We had an easy(ish) run to the semis. If we'd come across Portugal/Spain/Germany etc in the knock outs, I very much doubt we'd have made the semis.

I'd give it a 7.

Last edited:
I think this team may now have peaked

I can’t agree there YB. Our most important players are in their early 20s. They will peak (age 26-29ish) in Qatar 2022. When they do, they will be reinforced by current world champions at U21 and U18 level some of whom will have gone on to great things in the intervening 4 years.

This was a first attempt. We will be a genuine force in Qatar IMO.

Ok, it rekindled the interest in the national team, and I'm hurting today as I probably did in 1990. Some players have performed wonderfully.....but....

1) Kane. He'll probably win the Baloon D'or and only scored once from open play (I'm not including the fluke goal v Panama). He hardly set the world alight.
2) For all the plaudits, Sterling should have scored. No doubt when he's back in the Prem he'll be banging them in for fun. When he puts the England shirt on he chokes.
3) Alli & Lingard didn't turn up when it mattered most.
4) We only dominated two teams. Panana and Sweden and for one half, Croatia. We were woefully exposed in the second half and against Belgium (ok, two "b" teams).

We're obviously still a work in progress and still behind a lot of teams. We had an easy(ish) run to the semis. If we'd come across Portugal/Spain/Germany etc in the knock outs, I very much doubt we'd have made the semis.

I'd give it a 7.

1) He probably won't. He'll probably win the Golden Boot though, which shows how potent England were as an attacking team.
2) He plays a different role in a different formation than he does for his club.
3) I don't think Alli had a great world cup and probably wasn't fully fit for most of it, but when he turned up at the end of that move v Sweden did that not matter?
4) This is a ridiculous measure. How many matches did England dominate in 1990? In 2018 we had one bad 45 minutes against a good team (oh and against Tunisia, but we still found a way to win that). Our lack of a plan B was maybe exposed.

We seem to be ahead of nearly every team other than France and Croatia.

Portugal/Spain/Germany had loads of holes that were exposed by lesser teams than England.

The lack of creativity in midfield needs to be addressed.

Trippier was our best player by a mile.

1) He probably won't. He'll probably win the Golden Boot though, which shows how potent England were as an attacking team.
2) He plays a different role in a different formation than he does for his club.
3) I don't think Alli had a great world cup and probably wasn't fully fit for most of it, but when he turned up at the end of that move v Sweden did that not matter?
4) This is a ridiculous measure. How many matches did England dominate in 1990? In 2018 we had one bad 45 minutes against a good team (oh and against Tunisia, but we still found a way to win that). Our lack of a plan B was maybe exposed.

We seem to be ahead of nearly every team other than France and Croatia.

Portugal/Spain/Germany had loads of holes that were exposed by lesser teams than England.

1) Ok, my error. We were so potent we had 1 shot on goal in the 2nd half yesterday I believe?
2) Different role or not, he still had shooting opportunities that he missed or didn't take.
3) One goal. Yesterday he was mostly anonymous.
4) I still state, that we got lucky in the draw is the only reason we made the semis.

Not my lookout if you can't enjoy the furthest an England team has got in my lifetime because you're too busy regretting that the glass is half empty.

This is a good team, who did well on the same side of the draw as Spain; as Sweden who qualified out of the groups in place of Germany and from qualifying ahead of Netherlands and then Italy in the play-offs.

Some people are so biased when it comes to England. We did really well to get to the semis but some players really didn’t perform when they should have. Kane, Alli, Sterling are meant to be our best and most dangerous players and we’re pretty disappointing.

Not my lookout if you can't enjoy the furthest an England team has got in my lifetime because you're too busy regretting that the glass is half empty.

This is a good team, who did well on the same side of the draw as Spain; as Sweden who qualified out of the groups in place of Germany and from qualifying ahead of Netherlands and then Italy in the play-offs.

I can't believe you weren't born and old enough to remember 1990

Sorry I don't understand what you are saying. I was making a genuine point that I thought you were old enough to remember the semi final of 1990 so yesterday wasn't technically the furthest England have got in your lifetime

I do remember the semi final of 1990 - and am still haunted by the ball looping off Paul Parker and over Shilton - but how was that further than yesterday?

I do remember the semi final of 1990 - and am still haunted by the ball looping off Paul Parker and over Shilton - but how was that further than yesterday?

We lost on penalties. Last night we didn't even get to penalties.

That said, I agree with your main point that it was there to be enjoyed. We have a young squad who did better than we all expected. I'd have taken a semi final place before the tournament started

Back