• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
All summer it's been obvious something hasn't been right with Kevin Pietersen. In so much pain he couldn't walk down the stairs throughout the Twenty20 World Cup and pumped so full of cortisone he'd be oblivious to a gunshot wound during the first two tests, the news that Pietersen requires surgery on his achilles came as little surprise.

The fact he's likely to miss the rest of the Ashes series, however, will do nothing but encourage an Australian side in no need of further encouragement.

In the now famous and much talked about 2005 Ashes series, Australia lost their taslimanic bowler Glenn McGrath after he slipped on a cricket balll in the warm up and England went on to capitalise on this and retain the Ashes. Losing such an important player, regardless of his form, can only have a negative impact during the series.

Pietersen has been England's enigma for some time now, and not even Freddie Flintoff strikes as much fear into the hearts of an Australian cricketer than KP does.

FIGJAM, as the Australians affectionately labelled him during the Winter of '06, is often as brilliant as he is frustrating. No sooner will he play a delightful cover drive to the boundary, he'll be lashing wildly at a ball wide of the stumps... And nobody could hide the fact his form, technique and maybe even his confidence have not been in the right place lately.

"During an Ashes series, you wrap them up, get them in an ice bath and you get through it. That's just what you do," said Ian Botham in the aftermath of Mondays test win at Lords, but the sight of Pietersen hobbling after a boundary bound shot made it clear Pietersen's problem was too serious for an ice bath to fix.

Ian Bell will fill in for Pietersen, often the victim of critics as his temperament and composure leave a lot to be desired, especially towards the top end of the order. He'll be buoyed by the fact the next test is at Edgbaston, where Bell has played a lot of his cricket this summer, but don't count on the Aussie bowlers giving him an easy ride at all.

England hold the advantage going into the third test, and the news that Brett Lee is unlikely to be fit in time for this will give the side a sigh of relief, however losing Pietersen is an almighty sucker punch to the teams effort, mentality and, more important, confidence... Another blow, such as the loss of Flintoff, could prove to be a Knock-Out.

Oh ****, I suspected he'd neep an op, but was hoping he could struggle through for another couple of tests.

The thought of Bell replacing him fears me with dread. I'd be tempted to call up Rob Key instead, someone with a better temperament and as normally an opener someone who could slot into the no.3 spot, whilst Bopara drops down to no.4.

Oh ****, I suspected he'd neep an op, but was hoping he could struggle through for another couple of tests.

The thought of Bell replacing him fears me with dread. I'd be tempted to call up Rob Key instead, someone with a better temperament and as normally an opener someone who could slot into the no.3 spot, whilst Bopara drops down to no.4.

In an ideal world we'd say to Trescothick please play for these three matches and then you can get the farewell your career efforts for England deserves and then thats it. Fitting him in at 3, would bolster our batting more then bringing Bell in. Sadly that's not going to happen, and there just isnt many a viable candidate demanding selection. Key would be an interesting choice and one Id prefer to Bell....he could come in at 3 and his temperment has never been doubted. Indeed, IIRC he was never actually dropped, rather lost his place through injury and never got it back. With Bop looking jittery, our engine room in the middle order looks pretty flimsy!

In an ideal world we'd say to Trescothick please play for these three matches and then you can get the farewell your career efforts for England deserves and then thats it. Fitting him in at 3, would bolster our batting more then bringing Bell in. Sadly that's not going to happen, and there just isnt many a viable candidate demanding selection. Key would be an interesting choice and one Id prefer to Bell....he could come in at 3 and his temperment has never been doubted. Indeed, IIRC he was never actually dropped, rather lost his place through injury and never got it back. With Bop looking jittery, our engine room in the middle order looks pretty flimsy!

Key hit 270* the other day, so presumably is in decent nick, but the lack of batting quality is hugely concerning.

Samit Patel has gone backwards this season at a huge rate of knots. Denly hasn't kicked on at all and most of the Middlesex lot flatter to deceive.

I hate to say it, but I think Trescothick is less emotionally capable of handling an Ashes series than Bell. Belly has let the Australians get under his skin before, but they'd absolutely crucify Tresco if they thought it would affect his performance, which it undoubtedly would.

Key hit 270* the other day, so presumably is in decent nick, but the lack of batting quality is hugely concerning.

Samit Patel has gone backwards this season at a huge rate of knots. Denly hasn't kicked on at all and most of the Middlesex lot flatter to deceive.

I think that was his first decent score for a while, and there are rumours that Key fell out with some senior England officials / players in the Twenty20. However I do think the batting line up would look better with him at 3 and Bop at 4.

Samit Patel is a huge disappointment as he is undoubtedly talented and he would provide a useful bowling option....wonder if he has mentally given up due to his disciplinary action or whether he is actually trying to get fitter and his form is suffering?!

Back