• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Medway Blue

Living on the Island of Relevancy ⭐
Staff member
OK, so, after 18 games played in the league, our excellent record reads like this:

1st P19 W13 D2 L3 F36 A17 GD+19 PTS41

Whilst our promotion seasons in 2004/2005 and 2005/2006 ended superbly, I was pretty sure that they didn't start this well. I was right. After the 18 game mark in both of these seasons, our respective records looked like this:

2004/2005 - League 2
7th P18 W8 D3 L7 F28 A27 GD+1 PTS27

2005/2006 - League 1
3rd P18 W10 D3 L5 F32 A21 GD+11 PTS33

So certainly unprecedented in recent times. What about if we go back further and look at other previous promotion seasons?

1971/1972 - Division 4
P18 W10 D4 L4 F31 A19 GD+12 PTS34 (using 3 points for a win)

1977/1978 - Division 4
P18 W9 D5 L4 F19 A11 GD+8 PTS32 (using 3 points for a win)

1980/1981 - Division 4
P18 W13 D2 L3 F35 A12 GD+23 PTS41 (using 3 points for a win)

1986/1987 - Division 4
P18 W10 D4 L4 F31 A17 GD+14 PTS34

1989/1990 - Division 4
1st P18 W10 D5 L3 F28 A15 GD+13 PTS35

1990/1991 - Division 3
1st P18 W14 D2 L2 F36 A23 GD+13 PTS44

So in 80/81 we were doing similarly well by this stage (albeit with a better goal difference then) and in 90/91 we were doing ever so slightly better. Either way, this sort of start to a season is very, very rare for us and at the end of the other two seasons in which we have made starts as good as this season's one, we have been promoted. This bodes rather well!

stunning start, we have already amassed half the points we need for promotion and its not even december. the jan transfer window is vital for us this year, especially the outgoings. Going back to the previous promotions one thing we dont have is a prolific forward man i.e cadette, eastwood

stunning start, we have already amassed half the points we need for promotion and its not even december. the jan transfer window is vital for us this year, especially the outgoings. Going back to the previous promotions one thing we dont have is a prolific forward man i.e cadette, eastwood

True but have you ever seen the goals shared around as much as they are being shared around now? In the league, Dickinson and Ferdinand have scored 6 goals, Hall, Mohsni and Phillips have scored 5, Harris has scored 3, Gilbert and Timlin 2 and Leonard 1. As long as we are creating chances and scoring goals (and we certainly are with 36 to our name in the league), it doesn't matter who gets them.

The 80/81 season was memorable for many reasons, not least winning our first ever trophy. The first home game of the season we beat Port Vale 5-1 who's scored through Neville (Peace in our time) Chamberlain, we didn't concede another goal in the league at home for something like 10 games. Our home record read 19-4-0, and away 11-3-9, if 3 points for a win had been in place we would have finished on 97 points.

The 80/81 season was memorable for many reasons, not least winning our first ever trophy. The first home game of the season we beat Port Vale 5-1 who's scored through Neville (Peace in our time) Chamberlain, we didn't concede another goal in the league at home for something like 10 games. Our home record read 19-4-0, and away 11-3-9, if 3 points for a win had been in place we would have finished on 97 points.

Yes it looks like that was quite the season, and if Blues keep up this form for the rest of 10/11, then a points total in the 90s or even just inside the 100s is not out of reach.

And perhaps this season can be just as memorable for the fact that we'll have won our first cup competition too?

True but have you ever seen the goals shared around as much as they are being shared around now? In the league, Dickinson and Ferdinand have scored 6 goals, Hall, Mohsni and Phillips have scored 5, Harris has scored 3, Gilbert and Timlin 2 and Leonard 1. As long as we are creating chances and scoring goals (and we certainly are with 36 to our name in the league), it doesn't matter who gets them.

Yes and just 3 or 4 years ago, when Bailey, McCormack & Gower scored around 30 from midfield, and Barnard scored 11/12 after joining in the January window, and I am sure Barrett would have scoreda few.

Yes and just 3 or 4 years ago, when Bailey, McCormack & Gower scored around 30 from midfield, and Barnard scored 11/12 after joining in the January window, and I am sure Barrett would have scoreda few.

Exactly. If anything, not relying on one player to score the bulk of the goals arguably makes us an even better team.

I have never seen the goals shared around this much tis true, webbys team used to share the goals around a bit though, ansah, angel, benji, even butler got a few here and there

Our home form of 80/81 was unbelievable and we had a real fortress at the Hall. We frequently took teams apart at will in that year.

This season has lots of similarities with the 90/91 season... we had a cracking start back then (unlike now) but had a few heavy defeats and "won ugly" on many occasions. Rarely did we take teams apart but, like now, we did score a few goals from all over the pitch and usually when we were on top. Very similar to our L1 champions season when (at home especially) we were rarely dominant yet still seemed to win 2 or 3 nil with goals coming from everywhere.

42 points needed for promotion (possibly less), 28 games left... that's 1.5 points a game. Mediocre mid table form is all that is required from here on in to get out of this league.

OK, so, after 18 games played in the league, our excellent record reads like this:

1st P19 W13 D2 L3 F36 A17 GD+19 PTS41

Whilst our promotion seasons in 2004/2005 and 2005/2006 ended superbly, I was pretty sure that they didn't start this well. I was right. After the 18 game mark in both of these seasons, our respective records looked like this:

2004/2005 - League 2
7th P18 W8 D3 L7 F28 A27 GD+1 PTS27

2005/2006 - League 1
3rd P18 W10 D3 L5 F32 A21 GD+11 PTS33

So certainly unprecedented in recent times. What about if we go back further and look at other previous promotion seasons?

1971/1972 - Division 4
P18 W10 D4 L4 F31 A19 GD+12 PTS34 (using 3 points for a win)

1977/1978 - Division 4
P18 W9 D5 L4 F19 A11 GD+8 PTS32 (using 3 points for a win)

1980/1981 - Division 4
P18 W13 D2 L3 F35 A12 GD+23 PTS41 (using 3 points for a win)

1986/1987 - Division 4
P18 W10 D4 L4 F31 A17 GD+14 PTS34

1989/1990 - Division 4
1st P18 W10 D5 L3 F28 A15 GD+13 PTS35

1990/1991 - Division 3
1st P18 W14 D2 L2 F36 A23 GD+13 PTS44

So in 80/81 we were doing similarly well by this stage (albeit with a better goal difference then) and in 90/91 we were doing ever so slightly better. Either way, this sort of start to a season is very, very rare for us and at the end of the other two seasons in which we have made starts as good as this season's one, we have been promoted. This bodes rather well!

Depends what you mean by ended superbly, the end result was superb but in 2004/5 we went from 1st to 4th in the space of 3 games at the end of the season & only won one of our last 5 regular games. In 2005/6 again we only won one of our last 5 games & nearly cocked up winning the League (a bit like 90/1 season). Infact we always seem to end the season with poor results especially in our last 5 or so games.

Another 4 or 5 games on this amazing run and we'll hit the half way point on the season on around 52 points. That means we would need 30 points (lower half form) in the second half of the season to secure automatic promotion - amazing start.

God only knows why I originally posted this on the 'Slagging off Dickinson' thread......I do get quite worried about myself from time to time! :stunned:

Home BRISTOL ROVERS 3 points
Away CHELTENHAM 0 points (the unbeaten run has to end sometime!)
Home BRADFORD CITY 3 points
Away ALDERSHOT 3 points
Away AFC WIMBLEDON 1 point

51 points by the end of the year and exactly the half-way point in the season would be pretty good. Looking forward to two games a week in the next fortnight.............certainly more than PS and the squad are! I don't know about anyone else but I find it hard waiting a WHOLE week between games, before getting my fix of football.

God only knows why I originally posted this on the 'Slagging off Dickinson' thread......I do get quite worried about myself from time to time! :stunned:

Home BRISTOL ROVERS 3 points
Away CHELTENHAM 0 points (the unbeaten run has to end sometime!)
Home BRADFORD CITY 3 points
Away ALDERSHOT 3 points
Away AFC WIMBLEDON 1 point

51 points by the end of the year and exactly the half-way point in the season would be pretty good. Looking forward to two games a week in the next fortnight.............certainly more than PS and the squad are! I don't know about anyone else but I find it hard waiting a WHOLE week between games, before getting my fix of football.

51 points half way through the season would only be pretty good? With 3 going up we would really have to **** it up in the second half of the season!

Luggys teams have never had a real prolific striker (apart from last season of course!). His style of play suits midfielders getting in the box and winning and converting a lot of set plays. Hence coughlan was top scorer for Plymouth all those years ago and Phillips has banged in so many for us.

I have never seen the goals shared around this much tis true, webbys team used to share the goals around a bit though, ansah, angel, benji, even butler got a few here and there

The play-off season under Tilly goals were shared around. I think Nicky Bailey, Mark Gower and even Alan McCormack all got double figures from midfield and all people could do was criticise Matt Harrold for being outscored by them, whilst ignoring his role in holding the ball up so they could get that far forward and then creating the space for them to attack.

That 1990-91 team is also a good shout. Our forwards combined for just 27 league goals between them. Last year Corr and Sturrock hit 25 league goals in an injury hit season.

Ok so we shouldn't be concerned about who our goals are scored by as they are so evenly distributed throughout the team.

Is it possible for someone to put some assist stats together..........

I think we all know who will top that chart - and that will be the key "hold onto" in January!

Back