• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mid table if we don't sign a striker.
I also would like to see a decent striker brought in, it also erks me when i see a side like the Dons bring a front man like Mat Tubbs. But if we are still looking, then someone must be shipped out, Barnard, Corr, Coulthirst, Layne, Williams, which in itself is a bit hard on at least three of them with no pitch time at all

On tonight's performance not very far

There was nothing inherently wrong with last nights performance, on another night we'd have won about 4-1. The finishing was poor, no doubt about it. Shaq needs a goal, and the likes of Corr etc need to get into better areas to capitalise on the numerous quality balls into the box the likes of Weston provided last night. The football we played was great, there's things that need to be worked on but I fancy our chances and in Brown we have a manager who will push us on from last year.

There was nothing inherently wrong with last nights performance, on another night we'd have won about 4-1. The finishing was poor, no doubt about it. Shaq needs a goal, and the likes of Corr etc need to get into better areas to capitalise on the numerous quality balls into the box the likes of Weston provided last night. The football we played was great, there's things that need to be worked on but I fancy our chances and in Brown we have a manager who will push us on from last year.

Last night was Phil's 56th league game and he has managed to accumulate 84 points!
Sturrock's final 56 league games accumulated 80 points!

It's slow progress under Phil.

Last night was Phil's 56th league game and he has managed to accumulate 84 points!
Sturrock's final 56 league games accumulated 80 points!

It's slow progress under Phil.

That includes the very poor run we had in finishing the season after Sturrock's sacking. I actually thought I was about to read a positive post from you mrsblue but from the tone I detect I guess that was too good to be true.

For the record Sturrock did a good job for this club and many (including me) were outraged when he was sacked. Last season was a great effort for Brown's first full season in charge though and seemed to vindicate that decision, he has some made some very good additions over the summer to improve the squad and also the strength in depth. Of course one undeserved defeat and just the 6 points on the board is clearly not good enough though.....

BROWN OUT! :whistling:

That includes the very poor run we had in finishing the season after Sturrock's sacking. I actually thought I was about to read a positive post from you mrsblue but from the tone I detect I guess that was too good to be true.

For the record Sturrock did a good job for this club and many (including me) were outraged when he was sacked. Last season was a great effort for Brown's first full season in charge though and seemed to vindicate that decision, he has some made some very good additions over the summer to improve the squad and also the strength in depth. Of course one undeserved defeat and just the 6 points on the board is clearly not good enough though.....

BROWN OUT! :whistling:

I like Phil and as you say last season was a good effort from him.The thing which bothers me with Phil's system is lack of goals which could be down to the players or Phil's tactics?.

Last season we struggled for goals and so far after 4 games this season we have struggled for goals with 180 minutes against relegation fodder Stanley and the Don's producing not one single goal from open play.

I like Phil and as you say last season was a good effort from him.The thing which bothers me with Phil's system is lack of goals which could be down to the players or Phil's tactics?.

Last season we struggled for goals and so far after 4 games this season we have struggled for goals with 180 minutes against relegation fodder Stanley and the Don's producing not one single goal from open play.

I think we need to give the new guys time to bed. Like you say last season was a good effort and IMO we are looking for evolution not revolution, just a bit of a tweak from last season to get us that little bit extra we need. I think we lacked pace last season and the introduction of Weston and Coulthirst is a step in the right direction. We are creating a lot, so I don’t think the tactics or formation are the problem. I don’t think the personnel is a problem either. I share the opinion that a goal for Coulthirst could open the flood gates and I think we will see a good return from Weston come the end of the season. Corr will pick up his fair share, maybe not prolific but he offers a lot to the team. Barnard is a concern I’d admit. Let us get 10-15 games in and judge whether the changes made are successful or not.

Why skew the figures all the time? Three goals from three league games is what we have, why neglect the Stevenage game? A glass half full guy could come and say we scored 2 in 45mins against a team who were in league 1 last season and won 2 penalties in our first game! That would neglect last night’s game though.

I think we need to give the new guys time to bed. Like you say last season was a good effort and IMO we are looking for evolution not revolution, just a bit of a tweak from last season to get us that little bit extra we need. I think we lacked pace last season and the introduction of Weston and Coulthirst is a step in the right direction. We are creating a lot, so I don’t think the tactics or formation are the problem. I don’t think the personnel is a problem either. I share the opinion that a goal for Coulthirst could open the flood gates and I think we will see a good return from Weston come the end of the season. Corr will pick up his fair share, maybe not prolific but he offers a lot to the team. Barnard is a concern I’d admit. Let us get 10-15 games in and judge whether the changes made are successful or not.

Why skew the figures all the time? Three goals from three league games is what we have, why neglect the Stevenage game? A glass half full guy could come and say we scored 2 in 45mins against a team who were in league 1 last season and won 2 penalties in our first game! That would neglect last night’s game though.

Exactly the point I was going to make, absolutely spot on. Only a very negative person would neglect Stevenage where we played well (as we also did last night) and scored 2 good goals from open play.

It'd be like focusing on all the (many) games last season where we didn't keep a clean sheet and blaming the defence. Some people like to focus on the negatives only though and ignore all the positives, it's how they're wired......

Exactly the point I was going to make, absolutely spot on. Only a very negative person would neglect Stevenage where we played well (as we also did last night) and scored 2 good goals from open play.

It'd be like focusing on all the (many) games last season where we didn't keep a clean sheet and blaming the defence. Some people like to focus on the negatives only though and ignore all the positives, it's how they're wired......

Accrington,

We scored from the spot after we missed one and did little else.

Stevenage,

Superb start then after the 2 goals We could not break them down again for the final 65 minutes.

Wimbledon,

Plenty of huff and puff but zero goals.

3 games 3 goals but you can argue including the final 65 against Boro this team so far have not scored from open play during 245 minutes of football.

Of course the new men need time to bed in and in reality ATM it's no major concern RE the goal tally,Just feel PB has not learnt from last season?

Accrington,

Stevenage,

Superb start then after the 2 goals We could not break them down again for the final 65 minutes.

Wimbledon,

3 games 3 goals but you can argue including the final 65 against Boro this team so far have not scored from open play during 245 minutes of football.

Of course the new men need time to bed in and in reality ATM it's no major concern RE the goal tally,Just feel PB has not learnt from last season?

Or you could say

Accrington
we won two penalties, which were fouls from scoring chances (who's to say we wouldn't have scored goals from open play had the fouls not come in)

Stevenage
We scored twice in the 1st half and took our foot off the gas and saw out the game with ease

Wimbledon
Created a lot of chances and can take positives despite the narrow loss.

In reality a view somwhere in between the 2 is accurate.
Yes you can argue we haven't scored in open play for 245mins, but you are conveniently omitting a period where 2 goals were scored and discounting penalties for your agenda. Penalties count and more often than not they are the result of the opposition cheating to stop a clear scoring chance, so why discount them?

If it's no major concern then why post?

Accrington,

Stevenage,

Wimbledon,

Jesus, did we need to? You have to be the most difficult Zoner to please that I've ever seen on here mrsblue, Christ knows what you were like in the dark days of battling to stay in the league a few years back.

kingSHRIMPER is again spot on:

Accrington - we got the job done from a tough start away from home at a place we don't traditionally do too well at.

Stevenage - excellent first-half performance, two decent goals and thoroughly professional.

AFC Wimbledon - some great football, created a host of chances and probably should have won about 4-1. One of those nights when the ball just didn't want to go in the net. Some excellent stops by their keeper too. Even Neal Ardley said in the Sun today that in his opinion he thinks we'll be promoted so we can't have been that bad can we!

Not to mention only one goal conceded in 3 games, and even that was an unstoppable free-kick.

Or in mrsblue world:

Accrington - we missed a penalty and didn't score from open play.

Stevenage - scored twice but were then absolute rubbish for 65 minutes.

AFC Wimbledon - we lost so we must have been garbage.

Dear me..... :nope:

Jesus, did we need to? You have to be the most difficult Zoner to please that I've ever seen on here mrsblue, Christ knows what you were like in the dark days of battling to stay in the league a few years back.

kingSHRIMPER is again spot on:

Accrington - we got the job done from a tough start away from home at a place we don't traditionally do too well at.

Stevenage - excellent first-half performance, two decent goals and thoroughly professional.

AFC Wimbledon - some great football, created a host of chances and probably should have won about 4-1. One of those nights when the ball just didn't want to go in the net. Some excellent stops by their keeper too. Even Neal Ardley said in the Sun today that in his opinion he thinks we'll be promoted so we can't have been that bad can we!

Or in mrsblue world:

Accrington - we missed a penalty and didn't score from open play.

Stevenage - scored twice but were then absolute rubbish for 65 minutes.

AFC Wimbledon - we lost so we must have been garbage.

Dear me..... :nope:

Jog on !

Go patronise some body else!

Nothing wrong with different opinions but no need for the other stuff .

Would love to know what this "other stuff" is. It simply seems that whenever you read a mrsblue post on here it's always negative, never anything positive. If you tried to give balanced opinions on here more often you'd get a lot more respect. I'm sure I'm not the only one with that opinion.

Let's see where we are come May, I have a feeling that we may well see a positive post around that time as I personally think this side is going places this season.....

Would love to know what this "other stuff" is. It simply seems that whenever you read a mrsblue post on here it's always negative, never anything positive. If you tried to give balanced opinions on here more often you'd get a lot more respect. I'm sure I'm not the only one with that opinion.

Let's see where we are come May, I have a feeling that we may well see a positive post around that time as I personally think this side is going places this season.....

I could write we were sensational for the entire 90 against both Stevo and Wimbledon but I would be lying to myself !

We looked good for the opening 30 against Boro then tailed off which is a worry as a better team than Boro will get back into the game.

The Wimbledon game we had plenty of the ball yet in the final third we IMO were dreadful.

Now if you think differently that is fine but your "respect" quip is a fairly silly comment to make because it's not real world on here.

I could write we were sensational for the entire 90 against both Stevo and Wimbledon but I would be lying to myself !

We looked good for the opening 30 against Boro then tailed off which is a worry as a better team than Boro will get back into the game.

The Wimbledon game we had plenty of the ball yet in the final third we IMO were dreadful.

Now if you think differently that is fine but your "respect" quip is a fairly silly comment to make because it's not real world on here.

I give up because you always have to have the last word. My point about "respect" is a valid one, as I'm sure many others would agree. You can't expect your posts to earn respect whether they are justified or not if all you do is post negative comments, sooner or later people stop listening. If you offered a balanced view then perhaps more people would agree with you. If you'd offered more balance in the past like the vast, vast majority of others I'd have gone down the "respect your opinion but I'm afraid I can't agree because....." route but the fact is whenever I read a mrsblue post it's always to criticise a player or two, or maybe Brown (or anyone else you feel the need to slate).

I'm done discussing it though, let's just accept we have very different opinions on here and you can have the last word.

I give up because you always have to have the last word. My point about "respect" is a valid one, as I'm sure many others would agree. You can't expect your posts to earn respect whether they are justified or not if all you do is post negative comments, sooner or later people stop listening. If you offered a balanced view then perhaps more people would agree with you. If you'd offered more balance in the past like the vast, vast majority of others I'd have gone down the "respect your opinion but I'm afraid I can't agree because....." route but the fact is whenever I read a mrsblue post it's always to criticise a player or two, or maybe Brown (or anyone else you feel the need to slate).

I'm done discussing it though, let's just accept we have very different opinions on here and you can have the last word.

If my posts earn/have respect who really cares?

Thanks though for the last word.

We have pace in the side, wasnt that the lesson Phil had to learn from last season?

We created a ton of chances on Tuesday, that is surely better than last season, if the end result wasn't what we wanted (and if those pacy players were missing the chances).

In the 3 games we created more chances than all 3 teams.

We have had 40 chances, 18 on target. 19 chances alone against Wimbledon, is that not a reasonable amount?

I'm not sure what Phil is doing wrong, other than losing one game to a set piece.

What we need is the players to put the chances away, which didnt happen Tuesday.

We have pace in the side, wasnt that the lesson Phil had to learn from last season?

We created a ton of chances on Tuesday, that is surely better than last season, if the end result wasn't what we wanted (and if those pacy players were missing the chances).

In the 3 games we created more chances than all 3 teams.

We have had 40 chances, 18 on target. 19 chances alone against Wimbledon, is that not a reasonable amount?

I'm not sure what Phil is doing wrong, other than losing one game to a set piece.

What we need is the players to put the chances away, which didnt happen Tuesday.

Agreed,

Just felt Wimbledon are one of those teams who IMO will finish mid table and results like this was our Achilles heel last season.

Back