• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yep, that's my ONLY reservation. If it's a choice between Aldershot, Barnet or AFC to go down...........no brainer. However, if it's between them, York or Plymouth??? :unsure:

Going to York this weekend as it's one I've been looking to 'tick off' for a while in my very slow quest to do the 92. Would be just my luck if they got relegated a week after!

I've been to Aldershot as well, so would 'lose' that one but after the floodlight farrago they can **** off to the Conference.

Couldn't care less about Shots! Yes, the floodlights failed .... we then failed - to avoid losing to a crap team the next time.
I care much more about Southend United actually getting a win to make a rather enjoyable change!

Going to York this weekend as it's one I've been looking to 'tick off' for a while in my very slow quest to do the 92. Would be just my luck if they got relegated a week after!

They're getting a new ground. All permissions etc granted last year. Bet it's ready before ours !

They're getting a new ground. All permissions etc granted last year. Bet it's ready before ours !

Doubly typical! Although it's good to visit a ground before it gets knocked down. Once it's gone it's gone...

..... as opposed to afterwards? Yes, I think I'd agree with that.

Well of course! Poorly worded - what I meant to imply was that I wouldn't necessarily wait for the new ground to be built before visiting. E.g. I slightly regret never having been to Saltergate; one of those ones I never got round to and now never can. On a slightly (!) bigger scale, also the San Mamés in Bilbao.

Where does all the hatred come from towards Aldershot? Assume there must be more to the floodlight failure than meets the eye? Can anyone fill me in?
In addition to not giving us refunds on our original tickets, they knew they had floodlight problems before the day of the game, yet didn't get them sorted, instead they just gambled the lights would work and didn't tell anyone. All because they wanted to save a bit of money and didn't want to miss out on revenue from a (relatively) lucrative home league fixture against one of the biggest and highest flying teams in the league on a Bank Holiday. They knew they could get to half time with daylight, and therefore never had any intention of compensating fans.

So they can **** off and enjoy their trips to Welling, Braintree, Southport and Dartford next season.

I think it's more down to the FA ruling than Aldershot. IIRC we were 1-0 up at half time and had a man advantage, and if the rearranged fixture were to carry on from that point rather than start again, then I doubt there would have been as many complaints.

Also I think they refused to refund tickets to away fans.

Yes. Which quite frankly was a disgrace. They said we could go to the re-arranged game for half price, seeing as we'd already seen a half of football already. Disgusting way to treat the supporters, we have to not only travel to that dump twice but are charged for a half of football that was in effect totally meaningless? It was their lights that failed and which ultimately probably cost us promotion, yet the fans were the ones who took the hit. Disgraceful. Tin pot club and I hope we pretty much send them down tomorrow night. :thumbsup:

Yes. Which quite frankly was a disgrace. They said we could go to the re-arranged game for half price, seeing as we'd already seen a half of football already. Disgusting way to treat the supporters, we have to not only travel to that dump twice but are charged for a half of football that was in effect totally meaningless? It was their lights that failed and which ultimately probably cost us promotion, yet the fans were the ones who took the hit. Disgraceful. Tin pot club and I hope we pretty much send them down tomorrow night. :thumbsup:

Surprised they could get away with that, you'd paid to see a professional league 2 match, and although you saw half, it was basically half a friendly. That surely would mean they failed to fulfil their side of the contract

OK bugger the possibility of a longer away game ...........let's help to put the bar**ards down! I've backed that by predicting an away win........looked as though we were moving in the right direction on Saturday.

2 grounds I'd like to get to when finances allow. If I could choose who were to go down it would be Aldershot and Torquay, two clubs I hold in absolutely zero affection.. How the heck could Torquay decide their ground was waterlogged as late as they did on Saturday? Bit of gamesmanship to get their games out of sync with everyone else's?

Torquay's a lovely ground.Great social club too.No argument from me about the Recreation Ground, though it is easy to get to.

(
Well of course! Poorly worded - what I meant to imply was that I wouldn't necessarily wait for the new ground to be built before visiting. E.g. I slightly regret never having been to Saltergate; one of those ones I never got round to and now never can. On a slightly (!) bigger scale, also the San Mamés in Bilbao.

Don't tell me the "cathedral" is no longer there? Twas a wonderful ground.

(edit.I see they're moving into a new ground later this year.That's another I'll have lost along with Real Sociadad's Atocha stadium).:'

2 grounds I'd like to get to when finances allow. If I could choose who were to go down it would be Aldershot and Torquay, two clubs I hold in absolutely zero affection.. How the heck could Torquay decide their ground was waterlogged as late as they did on Saturday? Bit of gamesmanship to get their games out of sync with everyone else's?
I've a soft spot for The Gulls as well, Kay. It's a great day out for me and Richie C, sneaking one in at The Railway near Newton Abbott station afore the walk on the prom from Torquay station to The Hole In The Wall, where the landlord knows us now. And if the "Shrimpero Affection Rules" kick into play, then it's The Shots and Barnet who will go down. And I'd also be happy for us to sign Ricky Holmes from Barnet too.

There's not many clubs I'm happy to see drop out of the league (apart from Boston the nasty cheating scumbags) (oh and Luton to be fair, deserved everything they got after cheating their way up the divisions shortly before it all fell apart) must be the hardest relegation of all to take. The league would be a sadder place without the likes of Torquay, York & Wimbledon. But can't say I'll be too sad if Aldershot take the plunge. Remember seeing Billericay play Farnborough in an FA Vase semi final down there, it was full of Aldershot fans (supporting Farnborough) trying to start fights all over the shop. Was the most intimadating atmosphere I've known at a football match, and I've seen Millwall!!

Would love to see us help put them out of the League but the way we are playing at the moment I have my doubts.
Horriblest fans I have ever come across 3 of us got set upon there years ago we were just walking down the street before a game there and got set upon by 20 of them. Really tough that was and when they were playing in Non league and played Billercay a few years ago a Ricay mate of mine had 20 of them give him a kick in.
Aldershot boys tried to take the North Bank in 1985 but were given a right hammering by Southend and sent packing they never tried that again and only started on us when the odds were 20 to 1 in their favour.

I think everyone is also forgetting how quick they were to abandon the match. The first announcement was followed by a retraction, and then an appeal for an electrician.

It gave the impression that Aldershot decided to abandon the match, and the ref then said not until an electrician had had a look. The fact that they didn't call for an electrician until late into half time, when the lights had been out for some time already was very telling.

. Remember seeing Billericay play Farnborough in an FA Vase semi final down there, it was full of Aldershot fans (supporting Farnborough) trying to start fights all over the shop. Was the most intimadating atmosphere I've known at a football match, and I've seen Millwall!!

Strange. I went to both of those Vase away semis at Farnborough in consecutive years (76 and 77), the first at their more quaint but limited Queens Road ground, the second at the newly developed Cherrywood. Can't say I found it even remotely intimidating !

Back