• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question How good was 2011 to you.

options

Votes: 4 12.9%

Votes: 5 16.1%

Votes: 3 9.7%

Votes: 1 3.2%

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
How good was 2011 to you personally on a scale of 1-10. I am talking life here not football.

I would give myself a 7.

Positives - Moved into new home which we renovated from top to bottom, took and passed all four exams to get a Diploma I need to carry on trading after Dec 2012, Still self employed and its possibly getting marginally easier than it was. Made some good new friends and contacts.

Downs - Injured knee for 4th time, had surgery on knee for 7th time and not played since April. General state of economy getting me down a bit., Had planned a December break with the family but with exams and work stress its not happended. Minor stuff really I guess.

10 out of 10. My new beautiful baby daughter came into my life and it will never be the same again.

I've had the worst year of my life.

I spent 3 months from January to March suffering with Swine Flu and Depression. I spent most of the time convinced that I was dying.

When I was able to muster the energy and concentration to turn on a computer in March, I discovered that I am a more than competent online poker player.

I returned to work in Mid-March, feeling a shade of my former self, looking gaunt and feeling weak. I spent a further few months on short hours and not convinced I would ever return to my previous levels.

In the Summer I made a return to playing cricket at a lower level, where energy levels were less, as I was shattered with convinced that I couldn't play at a higher level.

Throughout the Summer I suffered with chest pains and all other aches and pains (part of depression/anxiety). I was turning down invites right, left and centre because I wasn't confident I could get through them.

Post Summer I began to challenge myself more. I have made a return to having a few drinks with friends. I have had weekends away. I am building my confidence back.

I still don't feel comfortable with my body. It is holding me back more than ever. It's a constant fight to remain upbeat. However, I have come off of my happy pills and today is 49 days without!

On the whole, what I experienced at the beginning of the year almost took me to the point where I felt life was not worth living. But, it never quite reached that point. I became a recluse. Quite frankly through to March the answer was 1/10. I returned to work. That was a positive and I played some positive cricket. This gives an extra few marks. 3/10.

However on the whole everything I do has been affected by what I have experienced at the beginning of the year and my Grandad has had a number of falls, Mum's cousin is ending her marriage leaving two kids distraught.

2011 has easily been the worst year of my life. I have been left trying to re-establish who I am and what I am about.

I rate it a 2/10. But, the last few months have been much more positive. I look forward to a positive start in 2012.

Kind Regards,

Pretty much complete crap from day one, can't wait to get this year out the way! Next year is going to be alot different!

I chose 1 in the poll but I should have chose 2 I guess, the last couple of weeks have seen things moving in the right direction and I haven't lost my job and of course I'm still with my wonderful missus who has put up with all my crap (she'll say the same I'm sure)!

8/10 for me. 10/10 up to and including the summer, but 6-7/10 after summer.

Completed first year at Uni, eventually after doing a referral assignment which nearly ended up being a complete disaster, and it will be an experience I will never forget, for both good and bad reason. Made some great friends during Uni and during the summer, when I met someone quite special to me.

After summer, decided that the course I was doing wasn't what I wanted to do and wasn't enjoying the course or where I was living, so I left. Now I've moved back home, not ideal but ok in the short term, got a job and doing a diploma to, hopefully, eventually become qualified.

Something strange happened during the summer, not sure what, but after a night of social drinking, only had a couple, and a bad kebab, was sick through the night and ever since I have struggled to finish some meals, feeling sick at times, and not being able to drink without feeling or even being sick. Might need to see a doctor though

Very much looking forward to 2012!

Negative: I got made redundant in March
Positive: I walked straight into a new job as a contractor and have just had my contract renewed until the end of March 2012. I am earning more than double I was on in my previous job and have 8.5 years redundancy sitting in the bank...which has led to me changing me avatar to the aeroplane I'm about to buy a share of...

Negative: I got made redundant in March
Positive: I walked straight into a new job as a contractor and have just had my contract renewed until the end of March 2012. I am earning more than double I was on in my previous job and have 8.5 years redundancy sitting in the bank...which has led to me changing me avatar to the aeroplane I'm about to buy a share of...

Once you have brought share in Airforce One, if you want some ideas around what to do with that money there I am told there is a red hot financial advisor lurking on here somewhere who could help you to grow that capital in the most tax efficent way.

Once you have brought share in Airforce One, if you want some ideas around what to do with that money there I am told there is a red hot financial advisor lurking on here somewhere who could help you to grow that capital in the most tax efficent way.

Very kind of you to offer, but in the mean time the money will sit still. Don't forget my contract runs out at the end of March so my response to your year end 2012 poll may be somewhat different!

Very kind of you to offer, but in the mean time the money will sit still. Don't forget my contract runs out at the end of March so my response to your year end 2012 poll may be somewhat different!

Fair call Captain. Lets hope its a good one for you. :thumbsup:

9/10

Good year all in all

Wife and I expecting our first child on the 1st Jan, Company has grown and is profitable, Havent been to a funeral all year, Family and friends all happy and healthy.

Fair call Captain. Lets hope its a good one for you.

Cheers. You too. And in March if you know of anyone that needs a Business Analyst let me know! My day rate is very reasonable...

The last few months have been pretty stressful with my mum's health dipping again in September, which has meant I've spent alot of time helping her out, and it's taking a while for her to improve. But looking back on the whole year I guess it's been pretty good one, Mrs DS got a new job so we can now manage more easily and I've even been able to afford to go to some SUFC games. Also in May Mrs DS's family came over from the US to visit and we went on a short holiday, my first proper holiday since 2008. So although the last few months have been tough, I'd have to give 2011 a 7/10, I have alot to be grateful for especially my wife who has helped me get through the last few months, and I'm optimistic about 2012.

Negative: well, left one company in March; uncle died in November (had been ill for ages, so a relief in some ways)

Positives: where to start!
1)set up on own in March (had to!), already had 5 clients; should be 3 new ones coming soon. Agreed new contract with one client for 10 events in 2012, and negotiating further work for someone else. Might have a contract to deliver a massive conference in Scotland involving Alec Salmond...
2)youngest started school and loves it. Eldest in final year of primary...
3) one year of marriage and still loving it

2012 promises to be massive.

Got promoted in March, getting involved with some high end stuff in the company shaping the future, money's not proving to be a worry (even though I should start saving!) and nobody's been ill.

I'd call that a good year!

Life is good, it always is in my eyes. Havent kicked a football in anger for 12 months but if thats the worst thing that can happen, then life cant be too bad.

Spent about 4 months off work sick in 2011, so im gunna have to do more work in 2012. Might be looking into management route (depends how good the money is!) as been encouraged by a couple of bosses which is always nice but will see how the tide takes me. Also, going to start taking notes of all betting/poker and keep a record of P&L in 2012. Looking forward to a few weddings (luckily not me :winking:) and a trip to Barca in April. If i can start playing football again that would be great, even if i stick myself up top for 10 mins here and there.

Kev

Voted 8 as although at the beginning of the year I agreed a 10 percent pay cut to hopefully keep my job, by October I was redundant with a redundancy package that just made five figures (after 32 years in the job) and it doesn't look like I'm in the most sought after age range (55) in an area that has a sh*t employment record. But I have my health and a wonderful partner, so how can I complain too loudly? The most important things truly cost the least.

Voted 5.
Negatives - My mum died early on this year. First real experience of losing someone and it hasn't been easy. Had a serious cough/chest infection which has been with me since July. While it's improving I still get coughing fits verging on vomiting. Still fat. Still drink to much

Positive - Still employed. Completely re-designed the garden and outside area (cost a bloody fortune mind) which included demolishing an above ground air-raid shelter (took 3 days). Over the past few months I've got back cycling again.

In the words of Len Goodman......7.

Positives: my personal life is a huge positive, I'm lucky to have found a truly wonderful soulmate; my divorce finally went through, 20 months after beginning the process, and after 20 months of having to continue sharing the property with him; I received recognition at work in an area other than how I was formerly employed and am hopeful that my contract will be extended next summer; my daughter passed her driving test just 3 months after her 17th birthday; I think (hope) my son's self harming is now a thing of the past.

Negatives: divorce cost me around £10k so I now have no savings; my daughter has finally been confirmed as having chronic fatigue syndrome (ME) after a year of pursuing an explanation for her poor state of health; my son has still not managed to find work and doesn't qualify for JSA as the money he earns from a couple of nights at the chip shop just (and I mean just) take him over the threshold; their father is still a ****; both my wedding ring and engagement ring have been "appropriated" from my house, presumably by someone who is known to one or other of us; all the weight that I had lost seems to have come back since having my gallbladder out last year - not good at all, however, I remain optimistic and try to look forward.

10/10
Moved into a beautiful house with my amazing wife. Been loving putting our stamp on things. Had some great holidays with friends and family; and am down in SS9 getting ready for my sisters wedding tomorrow. Work wise things have been brilliant, I got awarded a personal grant of £250k to do a 3 year research project for the DH/NIHR, which will also see me get a PhD. Got promoted a month ago which was great because I've been working pretty hard.

Been truly blessed and feel really lucky because I know times have been hard for many

Voted 9/10.

Positives: Good AS results, joined a Sunday league team and absolutely love it, passed my driving test, have had some real laughs with my mates, a great ski trip, spent 2 weeks in Morocco this summer, cycled London to Paris and raised just over £500 for Little Havens. Southend doing well and my 6 aside team have also stopped losing every week! Refereeing's gone well and I spend most Saturday afternoons having a laugh with the players rather than arguments with t*ssers. Got an award for my volunteer work and finally found the perfect course, and Uni for me. Got an interview with that Uni, and also offers from my back ups. Also love my new car, and enjoying driving again.

Negatives: Writing off my first car. :blush: Being skint.

The futures bright.

Back