• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How Green Will the Stadium Be?

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
It would be a good idea to make the stadium as green as possible. Not only would that make us look good, it will save us money and also help the environment.

For example, the amount of rain water that falls on a roof that large would easily be enough to water the pitch in the dry spells and flush the toilets etc. Storing it underground is easy too.

What about solar panels on said roof? It may not be enough to power the flood lights, but would certainly help in other areas.

I wonder if the plans include anything like this?

really good question. football grounds use a phenomenal amount of water, especially through the summer when we all have our hose-pipe bans. you would imagine storing rainwater would make sense and be fairly cheap... but then again i haven't heard of other new grounds doing it

i thought it mightbe possible to build an extension to the upper reaches of the River Roach creating a canal enabling supporters to arrive by waterbus ......

I'd imagine there would be a big green area in the middle of the new stadium!

(c) Gordon Strachan 2004

* coat on, running out the door! :p

Good point, londonblue. Grey-water systems are pretty standard in a lot of modern construction so it would be good to see one at FF - especially given recent surveys (possibly from the OECD?) suggesting that SE England will become one of the more drought-ridden areas in Europe in the next 25 years.

If they're right, then water is only going to get scarcer and more expensive, so the club would definitely be missing out on a trick if there weren't grey-water systems incorporated into the design.

In addition, our location by the seaside in one of the sunnier parts of the country means that we should have good wind and sun resources, so I would also like to see solar panels and wind turbines if possible.

After all, the FA may well start looking for greener venues in which to play England U21 matches, for instance - wouldn't it be great if we started hosting them more regularly? Not only would it be a great revenue source, but it might actually tempt one or two future starlets to come and join us...

The future's bright, the future's green.

:)

Matt

Last edited:
From a purely political perspective, the Council may have insisted that part of the stadium development may include some provision for a certain amount of sustainable energy solutions. You may find that systems such as waterless urinals and rainwater harvesting may have been incorporated.

Princes Park in Dartford was built as an example of what can be done...it was engineered purely around sustainability and is a superb example of what can be done if the will is there...worth a visit!

Is it possible to incorporate a grown your own vegetables for the goalkeeper behing the goal-line. A nice little plot to grow parsnips, swede and spring onions could be very handy. And if Darryl is still around a little area to grow and harvest mushrooms to enable him to sit under them and get some shade early and late season when the weather is still warm.

From a purely political perspective, the Council may have insisted that part of the stadium development may include some provision for a certain amount of sustainable energy solutions. You may find that systems such as waterless urinals and rainwater harvesting may have been incorporated.

Princes Park in Dartford was built as an example of what can be done...it was engineered purely around sustainability and is a superb example of what can be done if the will is there...worth a visit!

I've been there before - it's quite a nice stadium for a non-league side, and it has a novel grassy roof as well. Shame about the Dartford fans though, the majority of whom seemed to be chavs.

Is it possible to incorporate a grown your own vegetables for the goalkeeper behing the goal-line. A nice little plot to grow parsnips, swede and spring onions could be very handy. And if Darryl is still around a little area to grow and harvest mushrooms to enable him to sit under them and get some shade early and late season when the weather is still warm.

:D Very good..really made me laugh.

Dear god! We're turning into a right bunch of fannies!

Surely, as a Scot, you can appreciate a sound investment even more than most?! Paying a wee bit more now for a grey-water system could save the club a lot of money in water bills in 20 years' time.

Don't see what's "fanny-ish" about saving cash...

:thump:

I've been there before - it's quite a nice stadium for a non-league side, and it has a novel grassy roof as well. Shame about the Dartford fans though, the majority of whom seemed to be chavs.

Indeed...the team seem to be responding to their new surroundings positively, and should be in the Ryman Prem next season. It is good enough to host Conference football imho.

I'd be inclined to agree there - the capacity is certainly good enough (I think it holds 4100) and there's plenty of space should they ever need to expand it. I think they're helped in their quest for the Ryman 1 North title by the fact that the rest of the division is so poor! (AFC Sudbury apart)

they would be greart for darryl... might be able to add a little bit more spring in his jumping!!

Instead of investing in undersoil heating we could thaw the pitch on match days by burning (recycling) old lorry tyres.

That should keep the likes of Sting and Prince Charles off our backs.

Edit - Beaten to it but there is obviously support for the idea.

Back