• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How honest (or dumb) are you?

Money money money

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
So a woman finds £60K floating in a river in Lincolnshire and hands it to the police. Turns out she'll probably not get a penny of it and legally she could have kept it.

Me - that'd go in my bank account, even if it has come from nefarious means.

You?

I'd probably do my best to keep it. Looks like lots of the notes are trashed though and trying to get it through a bank would be tricky. Would probably end up Calling Saul and losing a significant percentage to get it through my money-laundering Car Wash business.

Would keep it without batting an eye lid.

Would be suspicious it was forged or something but would never hand it in. Too life changing and what normal person would lose so much money?

Depends how damaged the notes were, no point keeping if they are unusable.

That said, if you were to bank it then I thought by law the bank would have to ask you how you got the money. Also thought that if you found something then you couldn't legally keep it.

That said, if you were to bank it then I thought by law the bank would have to ask you how you got the money. Also thought that if you found something then you couldn't legally keep it.

Nope, if there's no way of identifying the owner, then you're in the law to keep it.

You dont have to put it in the bank and Im not sure if the bank would ask. Ive paid large chunks in via cheque before, but maybe thats different to cash.

Id personally pay for holidays on a credit card then just pay the credit card off cash.

The notes looked very damaged.

money.jpg

So a woman finds £60K floating in a river in Lincolnshire and hands it to the police. Turns out she'll probably not get a penny of it and legally she could have kept it.

Me - that'd go in my bank account, even if it has come from nefarious means.

You?

You would be pretty silly to put it in the bank as you create a paper trail.

I don't think you will find they are required to ask but the cashier taking in the cash has to be confident the money has come from a legitimate source. They should ask but in reality a lot of cashiers are kids and in my experience to scared to ask/challenge anyone.

I'd hand it in, I have a very vociferous conscience that gets in the way of me doing anything remotely the wrong side of the law. Blimey, I've found a tenner in the street before and put it in a charity box! :sad:

I'd hand it in, I have a very vociferous conscience that gets in the way of me doing anything remotely the wrong side of the law. Blimey, I've found a tenner in the street before and put it in a charity box! :sad:

Again, you're not breaking any laws. I found £50 whilst working on the tracks and that bought me a night out, and another £80 very near to my house. Kerching!

On the downside I lost about £150 when I dropped my wallet getting out a taxi when I was in my 20's so these things even out.

I would keep it. If I found a wallet or bag/purse I would try and get it back to the owner.
Entering Roots Hall via the west entrance one, a guy I front of me dropped his wallet. A few people didn't spot it so when I got there the guy was quite a way ahead so to catch him I had to push past a few people before he disappeared. Was al worth it for the look of relief on his face when I gave it to, even though he hadn't yet realised it was missing.

Finders keepers losers weepers and that includes the 60,000 big ones.:thumbsup:

I don't think you will find they are required to ask but the cashier taking in the cash has to be confident the money has come from a legitimate source. They should ask but in reality a lot of cashiers are kids and in my experience t scared to ask/challenge anyone.

If you walk into a bank with a clear plastic bag containing thousands of pounds and try and pay it into your account bank staff will get suspicious and start asking awkward questions.

That is why I always use a non-descript sports holdall.

I would keep it. If I found a wallet or bag/purse I would try and get it back to the owner.
Entering Roots Hall via the west entrance one, a guy I front of me dropped his wallet. A few people didn't spot it so when I got there the guy was quite a way ahead so to catch him I had to push past a few people before he disappeared. Was al worth it for the look of relief on his face when I gave it to, even though he hadn't yet realised it was missing.
An ex colleague once found a French blokes wallet and when we went through it we discovered a load of nudie pictures of hid wife/girlfriend.

Again, you're not breaking any laws. I found £50 whilst working on the tracks and that bought me a night out, and another £80 very near to my house. Kerching!

On the downside I lost about £150 when I dropped my wallet getting out a taxi when I was in my 20's so these things even out.

It's theft by finding isn't it? You have to take appropriate steps to try and find the owner. Although no-ones going to report losing £20 to the police, £60,000 might be.

It's theft by finding isn't it? You have to take appropriate steps to try and find the owner. Although no-ones going to report losing £20 to the police, £60,000 might be.

A spokeswoman for the Association of Chief Police Offers says: "There are no laws that I am aware of governing what you should do with a find – it is down to your conscience.

Back