• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How long before we are back in the Football League?

How many seasons will it take to be promoted?

• Total voters
Early days I know but I wonder how long people think it might take for us to be promoted back to the league.

We are one of the bigger teams in the Conference but does that count for anything especially if there is not the financial stability to back up the larger fan base.

Plenty of other past league teams now in the same position as us - all wanting to get promoted.

And only the team finishing as champions is guaranteed promotion - the second spot is through a tricky play-off set-up.

Can someone explain to me the current 23 teams in the NL and wether the future will involve either 22,23 or 24 teams with us in it?
This seasons going to be a slog, takes an unbelievable amount of momentum, discipline and unity to get out of this league hence why I’ve gone for 3-5. Time to prove how much of a “sleeping giant” we are I suppose. The closer the season starting gets the more it depresses me we are down there, no idea if anyone else feels the same ?

Hopefully straight away, but think we can within 3 years. It isn't going to be easy with one automatic promotion place, but we've got to aim to go up ASAP.

We've at least started the summer quickly and hopefully will have the majority of the team sorted before pre-season. Then with Brown putting them through their paces to get them fit and bonded we should start the season well and not playing catch up.

Can someone explain to me the current 23 teams in the NL and wether the future will involve either 22,23 or 24 teams with us in it?
This seasons going to be a slog, takes an unbelievable amount of momentum, discipline and unity to get out of this league hence why I’ve gone for 3-5. Time to prove how much of a “sleeping giant” we are I suppose. The closer the season starting gets the more it depresses me we are down there, no idea if anyone else feels the same ?

It was 23 last season because Macclesfield unfortunately collapsed and were liquidated. This season the NL North and NL South seasons were cancelled so no clubs would be promoted to the National League. Thus there will be 23 teams again next season. Presumably they will return to 24 clubs in 2022/23.

Reactions: Ted
It was 23 last season because Macclesfield unfortunately collapsed and were liquidated. This season the NL North and NL South seasons were cancelled so no clubs would be promoted to the National League. Thus there will be 23 teams again next season. Presumably they will return to 24 clubs in 2022/23.
Perfect thank you! Be interesting to see how they manage the extra promotions/relegations throughout the leagues.

Perfect thank you! Be interesting to see how they manage the extra promotions/relegations throughout the leagues.

Yes, it won't be simple because the National League is fed by two separate divisions, so will an additional NL South or NL North team be promoted? Presumably it will be based on the highest points score so an additional team will be promoted from either the South or North and this will extend down the pyramid until the point where the new Macclesfield or Bury or somebody else is inserted.

The reason why ex EFL side took too long to get back up, due to lack of stability as they keep chopping and changing their manager. If we stick with PB for at least 3 seasons, we have an chance. The aim is to finish in top 3 at least.

It's hard to answer that until we know who are attacking new signings are. As it stands, we have no chance of going up with just one player capable of many goals. A good strike partner for Murphy, and a couple of attacking midfielders who score regularly, and a goal scoring winger or 2 would obviously change the answer to every chance of going up first attempt.

For ex EFL league clubs who drop into the National league it gets much tougher after the 1st two years because the parachute payments stop. It is very important to come back quickly the rot can set in and before you know it you are in mid table each season or worse!

1/3 seasons for me. Won’t be this coming season as need to banish the loosing mentality and that won’t happen immediately.

I'm mindful of the fate of all those other ex-league clubs, down there in the NL and NL North and South. Probably their supporters started out with the belief that they'd be straight back up. I want to believe it, but there's no evidence for doing so. Thus, I couldn't bring myself to vote!

The reason why ex EFL side took too long to get back up, due to lack of stability as they keep chopping and changing their manager. If we stick with PB for at least 3 seasons, we have an chance. The aim is to finish in top 3 at least.
If only it were that simple.

I'm getting the pre season butterflies already. I think we are going to hammer this division. With PB having a full and proper pre season coupled with early transfer business a quick start is on the cards and we seen first hand how important confidence, spirit and momentum is to a clubs successes or failures is.

And to hell with covid everytime we score next season I will cuddle a new stranger. Keep your eyes peeled west stand brigade the southend united love pent up for 18 months is going to pour out.

Come on England. Come on you blues

I'm getting the pre season butterflies already. I think we are going to hammer this division. With PB having a full and proper pre season coupled with early transfer business a quick start is on the cards and we seen first hand how important confidence, spirit and momentum is to a clubs successes or failures is.

And to hell with covid everytime we score next season I will cuddle a new stranger. Keep your eyes peeled west stand brigade the southend united love pent up for 18 months is going to pour out.

Help is available if you need it.

Crikey you’ve cracked open the Morettis nice and early ..

My heart says straight back. My head says 1-3yrs. So I’ve gone with the latter.

I thought the team improved under Brown in the last 6 games. With a full preseason, investment in and (hopefully) the squad in place for the start of preseason, we are giving ourselves every chance of an immediate bounce back. However, it would be remiss not to acknowledge the alarming free-fall of the last 3 seasons: that will take some effort to halt let alone turn around so dramatically as winning promotion at the first attempt.

Here’s hoping my heart wins this one...

Back