• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How long can chicken pox last?

dloman

Manager
Well about 4 weeks ago picking my little one up from nursery was informed they think he had chicken pox, fair enough got it confirmed by the doctor.

He seems to have had it very mild with small clusters of spots, and as soon as one set went more appeared else where but with no more than about 25 at once and none on his face.

Then this evening looked at his back in the bath and another little cluster seem to of appeared and this is 4 weeks on!

My question, is this normal?

No, in a word. Doctor definitely confirmed it? I'd ask for a home visit and get him looked at again, chickenpox is normally over in a fortnight, and you don't get crops of spots keep appearing over such a long time, a couple of days perhaps but not like you're describing.

That is what we thought, because this morning they looked like they had all gone or at least scabbed but now seem to be appearing again!

yes she did and jokingly asked if she could get her two little ones down so they could catch it.

well the new ones are on his back, shoulder area and do lok like chicken pox again i.e raised spots in small clusters, very very odd.

I caught chicken pox about ten years ago, i went to the doctors who said it was stress and that i was run down, i collapsed on new years eve and woke up on January 3rd .. not pleasant

well the new ones are on his back, shoulder area and do lok like chicken pox again i.e raised spots in small clusters, very very odd.

I need more information! Come on, size of spots, description, where else they've been!

I have answered on other thread! was going to take pics as well just so you could get the full picture.

Oh yes, seen it now. Well, glad you took him to the docs - still not exactly conclusive is it? Hope the lad isn't feeling too poorly.

He seems fine though he is bed now. But thank you for the help anyway.

I caught chicken pox about ten years ago, i went to the doctors who said it was stress and that i was run down, i collapsed on new years eve 2001 and woke up on January 3rd 2004 .. not pleasant

Another Lager binge mate?

You're welcome, as I said, hope he's better soon. I'd push for a diagnosis though, viral is so unhelpful!

I know to be fair to the doctor he did say if it hasn't improved by tomorrow to go and see GP.

Much better than the stupid South African woman Doctor up there who a couple of years ago diagnosed him as having a bit of sore throat and having layed on his arm. This was after him having rolling eyes, foaming at the mouth, loss of feeling in arm and fce down one side and temperature of 39. Funny enough wasn't happy took him to own gp when it opened who preceeded to send him straight into hospital with tonsilitis and having suffered febrile convulsions! Scary seeing you own little one suffer those.

Hence we are very cautious when he is not well.

it's possible for chicken pox to last so long, but quite rare, so I'd get him checked over.

If it was my kid i'd rather take it to a doctors than ask random southend fans their opinion, unless they are a qualified GP of course.

it's possible for chicken pox to last so long, but quite rare, so I'd get him checked over.

It is indeed, having checked my infection control manual for childhood illness, chicken pox can linger for weeks, although as Pubey has said it is very rare.

Another possibility could be impetigo as the spots can be very similiar to Chicken pox and it is highly contagious, they will also appear on the body in small clusters.

Impetigo was where I was heading Jackie, or possibly molluscum contagiosum, that was why I wanted to know a bit more about the spots.

Impetigo was where I was heading Jackie, or possibly molluscum contagiosum, that was why I wanted to know a bit more about the spots.

Just checked photos of molluscum contagiosum and it doesn't look like those. To be honest it does still look like chickenpox spots, will be interesting to see if they scab over again, though the earlier ones took a fair while to do that.

May try and get a pic to post up.

Back