• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

spoons

Manager
Watching Southend play Newport on Saturday at a ground that also hosts rugby got me thinking of how many other dual sports grounds Southend have played at.
I will start with Newport and Bristol Rovers.
How many more can you list?:unsure:

Watching Southend play Newport on Saturday at a ground that also hosts rugby got me thinking of how many other dual sports grounds Southend have played at.

Seen blues at Colchester which is dual sport as in football and sheep worrying spectacle:winking:

Liberty Stadium (Swansea City, and Ospreys) and Adam park (Wycombe Wanderers, and Wasps)

County Ground Northampton - Football and Cricket.
Even though it was only 3 sided I used to quite like going to Northampton. Their fans in the Hotel End used to create one of the best atmospheres in the lower leagues.

The Shay, Halifax - Football, Speedway and now Rugby League.
Eastville Stadium, Bristol Rovers - Football, Dog Racing & Speedway.
Roots Hall, Southend - Football and Rugby League.
Southend Stadium - Football and Dog Racing. (I only ever went there for dog racing)

Not been to any of these-
White City, QPR - League Football, World Cup 1966 Football, 1908 Olympics, Dog Racing, Rugby League, Boxing
Bradford Park Avenue - Football and Cricket. Anyone on here ever go there?
Did we ever play at Sheffield United when it was a cricket ground?

Last edited:
Roots Hall .Rugby League and Football.
Did the Sabres play at RH ?

Southchurch Park & Withdean Football and Athletics

Old Newport county Football and Speedway

Wembley (football, NFL, rugby league and probably a few others)
Dagenham (football and diving)
Any ground I've seen Drewe Broughton playappear at (football and dressage)

I would have added Brighton (football and athletics), but I was actually too far from the pitch to see the match.

County Ground Northampton - Football and Cricket.
Even though it was only 3 sided I used to quite like going to Northampton. Their fans in the Hotel End used to create one of the best atmospheres in the lower leagues.

The Shay, Halifax - Football, Speedway and now Rugby League.
Eastville Stadium, Bristol Rovers - Football, Dog Racing & Speedway.
Roots Hall, Southend - Football and Rugby League.
Southend Stadium - Football and Dog Racing. (I only ever went there for dog racing)

Not been to any of these-
White City, QPR - League Football, World Cup 1966 Football, 1908 Olympics, Dog Racing, Rugby League, Boxing
Bradford Park Avenue - Football and Cricket. Anyone on here ever go there?
Did we ever play at Sheffield United when it was a cricket ground?
I went to Bradford Park Avenue 4 times, 3 wins (1966-67 2-1, 1967-68 1-0, 1968-69 3-0). The last time was 1969-70 we lost 1-0 but Bradford failed to gain re-election and were replaced by Cambridge United.(Ironically we were the first and last league side to win at Cambridge Utd.3-0 in 1970-71 and 2-0 in 2004-05 before they dropped into the Conference).

I went to Bradford Park Avenue 4 times, 3 wins (1966-67 2-1, 1967-68 1-0, 1968-69 3-0). The last time was 1969-70 we lost 1-0 but Bradford failed to gain re-election and were replaced by Cambridge United.(Ironically we were the first and last league side to win at Cambridge Utd.3-0 in 1970-71 and 2-0 in 2004-05 before they dropped into the Conference).

Excellent, good effort. Did you go to White City when we played QPR there?

Huddersfield. Then called the McAlpine Stadium (later Galpharm and now John Smith's) shared with Huddersfield Rugby League Club.

Also, going back many years, Darlington's old ground, Feethams, was also a cricket ground. I watched us play there two or three times when I was living in Newcastle in the late 1960s / early 1970s.

Some Blues fans even older than me might have watched home games at the old greyhound racing stadium before we moved to Roots Hall.

I've remembered that I watched us playing a League Cup game against Hull a few years ago at the KC Stadium which is shared with Hull FC Rugby League club. It was the first game that M'voto played for us, and Lee Sawyer looked really classy when he came on as a sub.

Millennium Stadium, Wembley, Griffin Park, Brisbane Road and Loftus Road. Seen Southend at all of these and also rugby league - London Broncos and/or various internationals.

Craven Cottage - and of course Roots Hall - have both been used for RL too, albeit a little before my time. I've seen RL at The Valley, but not Southend; my only visit there was for a Charlton game one New Year's Day when Southend's game at Orient was postponed.

Back