• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question How many games do we lose late in the game???

Shrimperforlife

Director
How many games do we lose in the dying seconds compared to how many we win???

I feel that we are jinxed in some way???

Norwich last year and then last night...

Can think of many where we've lost or drawn in the final stages.

- Spurs in Carlin Cup
- Norwich last year
- Charlton last year
- Brizzle Rovers last year
- Brentford last year

That's off the top of my head, but there's probably more

Charlton away April 1994, 3 nil down pulled it back to 3-3 then lost 4-3 in the last minute!

It would be interesting to see how many last minute goals we have let in and scored over the past 5 years. Anyone care to do some research?

To balance things up there was MK **** and Gillingham at home and Brighton away last year. Stockport this year for a point and of course had we not equalised in the last minute at Telford we would not have played and beaten Luton and then scored in the last minute at Chelsea!

Reckon they even up but the defeats you remember more it seems.

If someone has the statistics over the last 5 years, i am certain that we won many more games by scoring in the last minute than we lost.

Oldham at home last year, penalty 89th minute they won 1-0, ****ing ****ed me right off.

That goal was in the 76th minute according to the Official Site.

I'm currently doing a list of last minute goals over the past 5 years, it will include only goals scored in the 90th minute or in injury time. Will post the results tomorrow, but so far checked nearly 3 seasons and last minute goals are in our favour at the moment.

It seems to me that goals later than the 85th minute are less about jinxes and more about fitness.

I suspect that last season, in particular, we conceded far more frequently after the 85th minute than we scored. That, more than anything, would have been the result of the failure to pay the players. It's not that they didn't want to play for us come 3pm on a Saturday afternoon, but it may have been that they simply weren't putting in the mileage on the training ground during the week because they weren't being paid - with the consequent dip in fitness, and thus the tendency to concede late on.

That's my pet theory, in any event, which I now trust that Up the Shrimpers will blow out of the water with cold hard facts!

;)

I'd say it's all about fitness, as much as the players are prone to switch off when they're physically drained.

Sturrock's said that he's still not happy with certain players fitness levels and that he'd like to emulate Vale in getting them to the fittest in the league, which can't be anything other than a good thing, as a fully fit Zaaboub would be a dangerous asset to have. Time for the Sports Scientist to earn his crust.

I seem to remember someone like Bolton scoring 3 in the last 5 minutes against us at some time.
But then who can forget us scoring 2 in endless injury time at gillingham and Pulis nearly being in tears in the after match interview. Glorious.

I remember John Gymer coming off the bench with 2 goals to save us one game. and who can forget leo against watford - 95th minute!

O.K. these stats only covers the last 4 seasons and only include goals scored in the last minute of matches or in injury time and where the goal had an impact on the final result of the match.

Southend have won 10 and drawn 7 matches, so over the past 4 seasons we have 17 positive results by scoring in the last minute or injury time.

Southend have lost 8 and drawn 4 matches, so over the past 4 seasons we have 12 negative results by conceding in the last minute or injury time.

The last time we scored in the last minute to win was against MK Dons on the 20th Nov 2009 and we are on a bit of a poor run at the moment as we have since lost 4 games in the last minute since the MK Dons game.

Matt The Shrimper asked about goals conceded in the last 5 minutes last season. Well we conceded only 10 goals on or later than the 85th minute last season and actually managed to score 11.

we've nicked quite a few in the last minutes as well though, and there as satisfying as the defeats are heartbreaking!

Back