• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How many of our players are league one standard

I know you can use stats to say what you want them to say, but I feel if anyone wants to know if our defence is of league 1 standard, then take a deep breath and look at the following table, in which I have used all 91 league clubs as my sample.

Highest number of League goals conceded as of 9/11/19

Southend United. 48 (17 games)
Barnsley. 29 (15 games)
Bolton Wanderers. 29 (13 games)
Carlisle United. 29 (17 games)
Crawley Town. 29 (17 games)
Morecambe. 29 (17 games)

Notwithstanding that we have played more games than Barnsley and Bolton, that is a staggering stat. No-one else has conceded 30, yet we are just shy of 50. 65% more than anyone else.

Please remember this table when trying to assess the merits of Lennon, Shaunessy, Kiernan, Ralph, Oxley and all.

Oh yeah cos every team defends with just its defenders ?‍♂️?

Oh yeah cos every team defends with just its defenders ?‍♂️?
Didn't say just. Good place to start though.
Or perhaps it's all down to Brown, Powell, Bond, Waddock and Campbell and the players are totally blameless.

Didn't say just. Good place to start though.
Or perhaps it's all down to Brown, Powell, Bond, Waddock and Campbell and the players are totally blameless.

No my point was nearer to being that there’s barely a player who is blameless and at times I’ve felt sorry for our defenders and our GKs!

It’s the very basic principles of football that apply....in possession we are all attacking and have a role....out of possession we are all defending and all have a role!

if Sol is to be believed the players are not fit and not training properly ..

if this is correct it is impossible to assess their ability them on 2019 performances

if Sol is to be believed the players are not fit and not training properly ..

if this is correct it is impossible to assess their ability them on 2019 performances
There has to be some personal responsibilty and integrity from the players with regards to fitness.
I cant be the only person who does above and beyond the minimum required in my job and not just coast along for the easy money...

Currently good enough for League One: Tom Hopper, Simon Cox.

Good enough for League One if they put a shift in, which they haven't this season: Jason Demetriou, Rob Kiernan, Stephen Humphrys (perhaps up for debate, on his day he's a L1 player, but they aren't often enough yet thought that's more due to his age than his work rate).

Used to be good enough for League One, but not now: Mark Oxley, Harry Lennon, Liam Ridgewell, Sam Mantom, Stephen McLaughlin, Luke Hyam, Mark Milligan.

Will one day be good enough for League One, but not yet: Nathan Bishop, Elvis Bwomono, Harry Kyprianou, Ethan Hamilton, Isaac Hutchinson, Charlie Kelman, Layton Ndukwu.

Never been good enough for League One and never will be: John White, Nathan Ralph, Joe Shaughnessy, Tim Dieng, Brandon Goodship.

Says a lot that of those who I'd say aren't good enough, never have been and never will be, three of them joined this summer and the other two permanent signings are past it.

Absolute this! Couldn’t agree more.

Come the end of the season I think the only two I would really be bothered about is Hopper and Elvis. The injured lads like Barrett and Gard id give the benefit of doubt.

Couldn’t careless about the rest if I never saw them in a Southend United shirt ever again. Massive clear out in Jan and the summer is needed!

As long and as detailed as that post is (which I commend you for) it is ridiculous and full of some of the worst observations I’ve ever read on here. The only thing saving it from being torn apart is the length of time it would take for me to do it!!

Arrogant?

Moi?

Last edited:
I know you can use stats to say what you want them to say, but I feel if anyone wants to know if our defence is of league 1 standard, then take a deep breath and look at the following table, in which I have used all 91 league clubs as my sample.

Highest number of League goals conceded as of 9/11/19

Southend United. 48 (17 games)
Barnsley. 29 (15 games)
Bolton Wanderers. 29 (13 games)
Carlisle United. 29 (17 games)
Crawley Town. 29 (17 games)
Morecambe. 29 (17 games)

Notwithstanding that we have played more games than Barnsley and Bolton, that is a staggering stat. No-one else has conceded 30, yet we are just shy of 50. 65% more than anyone else.

Please remember this table when trying to assess the merits of Lennon, Shaunessy, Kiernan, Ralph, Oxley and all.
Barnsley trying very hard to catch us up now on 33

back when Kevin Bond said that it would take 2 or 3 transfer windows to sort out the problems at the club a lot of people on here derided him, now we have several threads including this one pretty much saying what he did with regards to our players attitudes.

I'm not defending him as a manager but he does know football and he knew there was something wrong with our club

I was very much anti Bond and wanted rid. I still think he shouldn’t have been appointed, thought that after the Sunderland game to be fair. But .... now I’m seeing that perhaps a lot of his weird ramblings had some substance.

Come the end of the season I think the only two I would really be bothered about is Hopper and Elvis. The injured lads like Barrett and Gard id give the benefit of doubt.

Couldn’t careless about the rest if I never saw them in a Southend United shirt ever again. Massive clear out in Jan and the summer is needed!

Really?

Bishop? Hutchinson? Kelman?

back when Kevin Bond said that it would take 2 or 3 transfer windows to sort out the problems at the club a lot of people on here derided him, now we have several threads including this one pretty much saying what he did with regards to our players attitudes.

I'm not defending him as a manager but he does know football and he knew there was something wrong with our club

I there’s actually quite a lot of what Bond said that we could look back on and understand more now than we did then...Humphrys for example...his annoyance and frustration with the goals we concede.....

The fact we are now moving back towards the style of football he wanted is another.....and it’s instantly more enjoyable (and was at the time) than some of the ****e long ball I saw last season and this....

Bishop would be a good no.2 and the other two I would keep. I was more aiming it at the seasoned pros.
Interesting! I watch an awful lot of/a lot of awful Southend games but I’ve not seen Bishop playing at right-back yet.

I there’s actually quite a lot of what Bond said that we could look back on and understand more now than we did then...Humphrys for example...his annoyance and frustration with the goals we concede.....

The fact we are now moving back towards the style of football he wanted is another.....and it’s instantly more enjoyable (and was at the time) than some of the ****e long ball I saw last season and this....

Moving back to the style of football Bond wanted is just plain wrong.

Humphreys is a good player but needs managing properly - like a lot of youngsters.

The goals we concede are because Bond failed to sign the correct players in the summer.

Bond was the person that was most wrong with our club and for sure he didn’t realise that.

Moving back to the style of football Bond wanted is just plain wrong.

Humphreys is a good player but needs managing properly - like a lot of youngsters.

The goals we concede are because Bond failed to sign the correct players in the summer.

More teams in all divisions play this way than not. Those that don’t (ie Portsmouth) have fans that moan about how they play and want them to play more football. It’s not wrong it just wasn’t good enough. We have more players suited to that style than long ball and it can work at any level.

Humphrys may well be a good player but he’s as useful as a hand brake on a canoe with the attitude to work and his teammates and that was what Bond had a problem with......and so did Waddock.....and shock surprise he now has a mystery injury under Sol.....

I thought most people thought Bonds failure to sign wingers and creative midfield players were his biggest mistakes....

We concede too many goals because we are lazy further up the pitch which allows teams time and space to construct attacks and overload any area they want.....simple as that.

Last edited:
More teams in all divisions play this way than not. Those that don’t (ie Portsmouth) have fans that moan about how they play and want them to play more football. It’s not wrong it just wasn’t good enough. We have more players suited to that style than long ball and it can work at any level.

Humphrys may well be a good player but he’s as useful as a hand brake on a canoe with the attitude to work and his teammates and that was what Bond had a problem with......and so did Waddock.....and shock surprise he now has a mystery injury under Sol.....

I thought most people thought Bonds failure to sign wingers and creative midfield players were his biggest mistakes....

We concede too many goals because we are lazy further up the pitch which allows teams time and space to construct attacks and overload any area they want.....simple as that.

Have been saying this for weeks. I posted something ahead of the Rochdale game about how we sit back, don't press and only get interested when the opposition are about 30 yards from goal, which is way too late.

Look at two of the goals Rochdale scored, pretty much the one Accrington scored and many near misses. We allow the defenders to do whatever they want, we never track the midfield runners and as a result every time on of their players receives the ball he has about 5 yards of space.

They need to work a lot harder.

Back