• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question How many of you strictly support Southend United?

Do you strictly support Southend United as your only team?

• Yes, I only follow Southend

• I support two or more teams

Results are only viewable after voting.
I support ONLY Southend

But, as readers of the 92 bible will know, I also 'follow' Argyle due to needing a footie fix when marooned n Devon in the early '80's.

I also now follow Swanage & Herston FC as I'm now a 5 min walk from the iconic Days Park, but they are pure cr ap and I'm still not sure whether they play football or rugby

I've supported SUFC since the mid 70's and currently have a ST. I rather like the conversations when people ask you who you support expecting you to name a top premier team, and the quizzical look on their face when say Southend. Yes proper football, not money orientated premiership stuff. I'll concede some of the football is excellent, but it's the "oops our star striker has just broken his leg well here's another £100 million go and buy a new one" It's at this stage I think whats the point!
(Rant Over)
As a lad my team was West Ham, we lived near and all the family were WHU supporters, so I still keep an eye on their results, but would it devastate me if they went down, not really.

I am one of the few still left who was at Wembley on 30th July 1966 when West Ham won the World Cup, so I will always have a soft spot for them.

Quiz 1. I had a book of ten tickets in 1966, all our group games, qtr final, semi, 3rd/4th play off and Final. How much?

Quiz. 2 one of the England Group games was not played at Wembley, where was it played and why?
£7 and White City .

I must admit that although having followed Southend for over 55 years , I used to go to West Ham when I was young to see all the legends of the winning World Cup Team , saw all of them at Upton Park except George Cohen .

Not me mate! Loyal supporter.
Ps could you bring me some shopping?
Are sure you haven't started supporting AIK or Hammarby?

I have a soft spot for Falkirk, as it's where I was born. But Southend have been the only football team for me since my Dad took me to Roots Hall when I was 3 or 4. I imprinted on them as if I was a baby duckling. Good times or bad times, they're mine and I love them.

Sometimes I love them in the way you love a clumsy puppy that falls down the stairs. But still, I wouldn't swap my Shrimpers for the world.

Like many football fans, when I do watch games involving other teams I operate a system of long-standing grudges and prejudices to decide which team I would prefer to see win. Usually beginning with "will this be to Southend's advantage" but also taking into account how annoying or entertaining the teams and managers involved are, whether I feel either side cheats, underdog status, if their fans are despicable, the phase of the moon, what I had for dinner and whether or not it would be very funny indeed if one of the teams lost.

It keeps me entertained.

Southend first. But for various reasons:

Arsenal
Herta Berlin
Strømsgodset
QPR

Always Southend as a supporter but after a short spell in Italy, I follow Sampdoria and Genoa which is a tad treacherous and nearly as bad as following the Blues and Col U. Disgusting thought.

Southend are the only team that I consider myself to be a supporter of. However I do follow Portland Timbers here in the states.

I follow Chelsea too (and have done since long before the money arrived) and also have a soft-spot for Canvey due to family connections.

Southend are unquestionably my number 1 team though (as anyone who saw me in our FA Cup games against Chelsea & Canvey back in the day will tell you!)

I struggle to understand even having soft spots for other teams, especially the likes of Arsenal/Utd etc.

Everything I love about being a Southend fan is everything I’d hate about being a “big team” fan...the two world don’t mix IMHO so I don’t get how you support both.

No one knows who Southend is out here unsurprisingly + you have a lot of very new city fans because of Sheikh Mansour

Last edited:
I supported Arsenal as a kid through my Dad's influence as that side of the family are from the area. But when I was about 10 I went to my first Southend game and the rest is history.

I don't hold any sort of affinity towards Arsenal. In fact, I have no interest in football other than Southend. Not even England. I was able to get behind Iceland though in the World Cup. I am grateful however to know what it feels like when the club you [then] support play in an FA Cup final at a time when it still felt important in those 98 and 99 seasons.

I've measured this topic on the horrifying thought of us going bust. I absolutely love football, whether the day trip to RH when we are at home or wrapped in a blanket watching Soccer Saturday or the BBC equivalent on the sofa when we are away in winter, cheering on England or playing the game (albeit less than I used to). But if there was no Southend, part of my love for the game would die.

Admittedly when I was younger I had a fling with Northampton as I lived there during my school days and as several mates were Cobblers fans I used to tag along to what was then The County Ground. It was a slightly surreal period - almost a completely different era in the game - as for a long time they were under a transfer embargo and only had a squad of about 15. So it was more or less the same 11 every week (which seems unthinkable these days) and it was difficult not to become a bit attached to the team, especially as, despite their best efforts, they were utter crap with the exception of left winger Mickey Bell and the sadly departed Martin Aldridge. But when the situation improved and the soulless Sixfans appeared, the romanticism went and I completely lost interest, although as it coincided with going to uni it wasn't a surprise.

Those days didn't tip my allegiance, though as I spent most of the games wondering how we were doing and the first thing I did when I got in was grab the remote and find out the result on teletext (RIP). It was mostly disappointment as Alvin Martin was manager.

I simply can't envisage the idea of adopting another team now. Especially given that my two nearest clubs are currently West Ham and Orient. :Facepalm:

I have a shameful secret that I can now share with you all. I used to support West Ham as well as The Blues. That was at a time when (growing up in the sixties) everyone I knew seemed to support a London club as well as us. That changed when we played them in '79 in the League Cup. I realised there was only one club for me. We drew with them at the Hall and at Upton Park but lost the last replay - again at Upton Park - 5-1. Terry Gray scored for us and a young lad called Billy Lansdowne got a hat-trick for them.

I used to like the Forest side of the mid-eighties due to the fine on the deck football they played when one of my brothers lived in Nottingham. But that's the only dalliance I've ever had with other Leaguers since. I have taken a shining to Berwick Rangers more recently (due to family up there) but as we know, Scottish football doesn't really count.

I have a shameful secret that I can now share with you all. I used to support West Ham as well as The Blues. That was at a time when (growing up in the sixties) everyone I knew seemed to support a London club as well as us. That changed when we played them in '79 in the League Cup. I realised there was only one club for me. We drew with them at the Hall and at Upton Park but lost the last replay - again at Upton Park - 5-1. Terry Gray scored for us and a young lad called Billy Lansdowne got a hat-trick for them.

I used to like the Forest side of the mid-eighties due to the fine on the deck football they played when one of my brothers lived in Nottingham. But that's the only dalliance I've ever had with other Leaguers since. I have taken a shining to Berwick Rangers more recently (due to family up there) but as we know, Scottish football doesn't really count.

I remember Rob... I believe we made the odd trip up to Upton Park back in the day on a Saturday, usually when we had played on Friday night.

There have been plenty of good teams I have admired over the years as they played great football. Again, like Rob, the great Forest side were exhilarating to watch. Liverpool in 86 were equally exciting, Fulham in 83 were just awesome until they ran out of steam ahead of certain promotion to Divison 1, Man Utd with the class of '92 in full flow were just unstoppable, the Arsenal "invincibles" and Spurs with Gareth Bale were pretty good too.

A note on the Fulham mention above. They well and truly blew it - see this link.

http://twohundredpercent.net/scenes-from-football-history-198283-how-fulham-blew-it/

I remember it well as they were my second side back then and this loss of form and self destruction hurt like hell at the time.

I have no idea how anyone has the energy to support two teams. I am an emotional wreck watching Southend so how people can cope with double that is beyond me.

Most hated, definitely the Hamsters and no doubt many of my generation who came of age when they were trying to put us out of business in the late 1990s will be the same.

Just Southend for me.

In my ten years here I tried really hard to get behind my local A-League side and had a season ticket for much of that time. And for a while I’d have said I did support them. But as soon as the option for iFollow and regularly watching Southend games came along I realised that going to Brisbane Roar games was just a desperate attempt to fill a gap that I didn’t have anymore. So I just stopped going, don’t miss it at all.

During our ‘winter’, your ‘summer’ we have local teams play at grounds much like non-league in England and I go to those sometimes. But not supporting any specific team, just an excuse for a few beers with mates and watch a game.

I remember Rob... I believe we made the odd trip up to Upton Park back in the day on a Saturday, usually when we had played on Friday night.

There have been plenty of good teams I have admired over the years as they played great football. Again, like Rob, the great Forest side were exhilarating to watch. Liverpool in 86 were equally exciting, Fulham in 83 were just awesome until they ran out of steam ahead of certain promotion to Divison 1, Man Utd with the class of '92 in full flow were just unstoppable, the Arsenal "invincibles" and Spurs with Gareth Bale were pretty good too.

A note on the Fulham mention above. They well and truly blew it - see this link.

http://twohundredpercent.net/scenes-from-football-history-198283-how-fulham-blew-it/

I remember it well as they were my second side back then and this loss of form and self destruction hurt like hell at the time.

My brother was at that shameful game at the Baseball Ground when Robert Wilson got kicked by a Derby 'fan.'

Back