• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Greebosan

Manager⭐
Been having a discussion at work, after my colleagues expressed their shock, and, no doubt, considerable awe at the amount of coffee I drink in a week.

I think that the other week I worked my way through a 200g jar of Tesco instant (strength 3).

By way of explanation, I only drink black coffee at work, and I usually drink about two thirds of a cup, then top it up with a few more grains and then hot water, as this keeps the coffee at a nice drinkable temperature. I reckon I therefore drip-feed coffee pretty much constantly through the day, I couldn’t tell you how many actual cups I drink. I get to work reasonably early (about 07.15am), so the first cup is probably rocket fuel strength, with the rest getting weaker through the day. I don’t use a spoon to measure, tipping is fine for me.

I’m going to keep an eye on my consumption this week to get a proper reading, but I should point out that I don’t ever drink coffee outside of work, unless I go to a restaurant or something, which is never. So, no coffee at all at the weekend or in the evenings, with no effects – I don’t even fancy a cup.

How much is too much?

I was drinking too much coffee at one point - gave me headaches and palpitations. When I found that coffee was the cause I cut it out of my diet - problems solved!

Blimey GB, sounds like a lot to me!

I reckon I have 5/6 mugs of instant a day. I have my last about 4pm as I'm paranoid that it doesn't kickstart the insomnia that I had a few years back....but if I don't have a cuppa occasionally I feel grumpy. Definitely an addict.

I once worked in an office where it was constantly available via a perculator and I had so much I got the shakes.

To be fair, it seems like a lot to me as well when I think about it, but I don't get any of the symptoms associated with dependence, and I hadn't realised how much I was drinking until recently. I don't even think about coffee when I'm not at work so I don't think I'm addicted - I'm probably a habitual drinker though.

Depends on the day to be perfectly honest. My missus got me a decent little Nespresso machine for my birthday earlier this year complete with a milk frother, so I’ll have one cup before I leave the house. Get into the office for just before 9 and the team cafetiere is usually already doing the rounds. I’ll have two cups in the morning, but I rarely drink it in the afternoon and never at home in the evening. Reckon I have about 20 cups a week give or take.

The internet experts say:

According to the FDA, 400 mg per day of caffeine (that's about four cups of coffee) is a safe amount of caffeine for healthy adults. But too much caffeine—500 to 600 mg—can be dangerous, causing restlessness, tremors, irritability, insomnia and stomach upset.21 Aug 2014.

This appears to be pretty constant whichever web page you read. If you are not suffering any of the symptoms listed then ok. It may be worth doing a little more research to see what the actual dangers are of caffeine overload, rather than the symptoms.

Have a cup of coffee and think it over.

Do you think they do that on purpose in the corporate world ? Same at my place.
but I worked out I spend £800 a year on coffee, and all that hot milk in your stomach can't be good.

They have a fancy machine with an iPad like interface but the coffee tastes acidic and a couple of cups causes heartburn.

I very rarely drink coffee these days. In my banking days someone asked me how much I drink. The next day I counted. I had 14 cups. In my defence that was a) 14 plastic cups, not mugs, and b) over about a 13-14 hour day.

Either way, I scared myself and the next day I had none, and nearly fell asleep in the office. It took about a week for me to get over it. I then couldn't drink caffeine in the evenings because it stopped me sleeping so I started drinking decaf. I then got used to the taste of decaf so I started drinking that even at weekends.

None. I probably drink 6-10 cups of tea per day though.

Relatively speaking when comparing a standard cup of tea to a standard cup of coffee, there is half the amount of caffeine in your cup of tea.

I drink de-caffeinated tea and coffee both at work and at home, and have done for getting on for 10 years now. Strangely, I don't bother asking for de-caff at a Costa or Starbucks. On an average day, I have two cups of coffee, one morning and one evening, and about 5 or 6 cups of tea.

What I do notice is that if I have 3 cups of caffeinated coffee now then I get the shakes!

I drink de-caffeinated tea and coffee both at work and at home, and have done for getting on for 10 years now. Strangely, I don't bother asking for de-caff at a Costa or Starbucks. On an average day, I have two cups of coffee, one morning and one evening, and about 5 or 6 cups of tea.

What I do notice is that if I have 3 cups of caffeinated coffee now then I get the shakes!

Cut back on the Vodka a bit maybe?

Very rarely drink coffee. Normally just in meetings or if travelling.

Probably drink 6 cups of tea a day

Back