• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Barry.C

Manager⭐⭐
I've just noticed that since the Ist October and the closed period only 4 clubs have not added to their squad, us being one of them.
During this period, following the transfer deadline, clubs of course can only bring in loan or unattached players. Not exactly quiet, 43 players have been signed up during the past 6 and a half weeks. I assume a third of the way into the season clubs are appraising their squads, strengthening where they can , and like our position, moving to cover injuries.
Busiest of all has been Fleetwood with 5 signings, Blackpool, Rotherham, Barnsley, Bury and Oldham have all brought in FOUR newbies. League leaders Coventry( have brought in 3 good signings) and Gillingham 2 ( a striker who scored on Saturday)
We currently seem to have just 2 strikers available and for 3 years have been right at the lower end number of strikers on our books in comparison with other clubs in both league 1 and 2. Currently we have less than half the other clubs. This seems to be Phil and the Managements favoured position, and although meeting my expectations of a mid table finish, based on the quality of our midfielders and defenders, I wonder how we would perform with 5 strikers on the books of decent quality?
So question is should we go for it and strengthen more strongly like others NOW, including waving a sad goodbye to players like Hurst and Atkinson.( The former became a shadow of himself before the ink could dry on a 3 year contract ( alledgedly)) Alternatively look to a gradual 3 year transitional build?

I've just noticed that since the Ist October and the closed period only 4 clubs have not added to their squad, us being one of them.
During this period, following the transfer deadline, clubs of course can only bring in loan or unattached players. Not exactly quiet, 43 players have been signed up during the past 6 and a half weeks. I assume a third of the way into the season clubs are appraising their squads, strengthening where they can , and like our position, moving to cover injuries.
Busiest of all has been Fleetwood with 5 signings, Blackpool, Rotherham, Barnsley, Bury and Oldham have all brought in FOUR newbies. League leaders Coventry( have brought in 3 good signings) and Gillingham 2 ( a striker who scored on Saturday)
We currently seem to have just 2 strikers available and for 3 years have been right at the lower end number of strikers on our books in comparison with other clubs in both league 1 and 2. Currently we have less than half the other clubs. This seems to be Phil and the Managements favoured position, and although meeting my expectations of a mid table finish, based on the quality of our midfielders and defenders, I wonder how we would perform with 5 strikers on the books of decent quality?
So question is should we go for it and strengthen more strongly like others NOW, including waving a sad goodbye to players like Hurst and Atkinson.( The former became a shadow of himself before the ink could dry on a 3 year contract ( alledgedly)) Alternatively look to a gradual 3 year transitional build?

If we stopped signing ageing injury prone forwards then there would be spare funds to enhance the squad.

If we stopped signing ageing injury prone forwards then there would be spare funds to enhance the squad.
Brown really is an idiot, he's clearly turning down all the young 30 goal a season strikers that want to sign for us.

Pace and power up top would be a welcome addition.
Hard to say where else really as I think we are pretty close to doing well this year. I would say a top ten finish this season would be very good for us as a newly promoted team. If we can get certain players fit again and certain combinations playing well together. We have shown we can mix it with all teams in this league.... wallSall at home apart.

Pace and power up top would be a welcome addition.
Hard to say where else really as I think we are pretty close to doing well this year. I would say a top ten finish this season would be very good for us as a newly promoted team. If we can get certain players fit again and certain combinations playing well together. We have shown we can mix it with all teams in this league.... wallSall at home apart.

Agreed,

I like Piggy but his lack of speed is obvious,Mooney for my money ain't the answer,Noel is excellent when he plays which is nowhere near the amount of games we need.The cupboard is bare.

Where could we strengthen is really a non question since we could strengthen every position on the pitch. What is more important is what should we strengthen, i.e. what are the priorities.

We need more options up front. That said, when Hunt is fit, he's a class above the rest. Someone of his class would be great, and I hear there's about 4 or 5 similar players queuing up to join us.

Where could we strengthen is really a non question since we could strengthen every position on the pitch. What is more important is what should we strengthen, i.e. what are the priorities.

We need more options up front. That said, when Hunt is fit, he's a class above the rest. Someone of his class would be great, and I hear there's about 4 or 5 similar players queuing up to join us.

Hunt is fantastic. Do you think we will get more than a dozen games out of him from now till end of season.

Hunt is fantastic. Do you think we will get more than a dozen games out of him from now till end of season.
Theres the rub, he could still end up our top goalscorer if we did get a dozen games out of him. To be honest if hunt had a record of being fully fit most of the time, he may not have come down to league 1 in the first place.

We surely need to off-load players first, particularly with no FA Cup income and average attendance actually down from last season.

Brown only wants a goal a game for a 1-0 win, we have enough strikers for that. It's defenders we need so we don't concede :winking:

Despite having a less strikers than the majority of League 2 last year....we were promoted. There is no easy solution. Brown needs to juggle money and I am quite happy with how we are doing at the moment.

Brown only wants a goal a game for a 1-0 win, we have enough strikers for that. It's defenders we need so we don't concede :winking:

Despite your sarcasm and constant drivel moaning at Phil's tactics, I think you might be right. We are currently scoring fairly freely but struggling to hold onto leads, so maybe a loany to cover Deegan whilst he is out or an experienced CB to throw on when leading could be the answer

We need a wayne gray type striker at the club.

We have very little pace in attack.

I'd say we need cover at left-back, as much as anything and possibly a fit striker with a natural finishing instinct, but they are few and far between at this level.

Despite having a less strikers than the majority of League 2 last year....we were promoted. There is no easy solution. Brown needs to juggle money and I am quite happy with how we are doing at the moment.

Despite your sarcasm and constant drivel moaning at Phil's tactics, I think you might be right. We are currently scoring fairly freely but struggling to hold onto leads, so maybe a loany to cover Deegan whilst he is out or an experienced CB to throw on when leading could be the answer

You are replying to your own posts. You have even stated you are sarcastic and spout constant drivel. What's that all about?

Agreed,

I like Piggy but his lack of speed is obvious,Mooney for my money ain't the answer,Noel is excellent when he plays which is nowhere near the amount of games we need.The cupboard is bare.

I thought we had another young striker on our books ?
What the hell is he called ???
:winking:

Back