• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bromley Blue

The artist formerly known as the_saafender
I just realised that no one won the Euromillions on Tuesday night again and the jackpot on Friday is a staggering £92 million. I've bought a couple of tickets just in case but it got me thinking. That sort of money is more than anyone could ever need and I personally would give a lot away if I were that wealthy.

How much would you invest in the club and how much would it cost to buy Ron et al out and turn us into a Championship side at Fossetts Farm?

I wouldn't invest a penny unless the present chairman left as part of any deal.

Personally I would buy-out Colchester United and then immediately close the club down as unviable - well after a bit of asset-stripping.

chilver-female-sheep.jpg

Each to their own. :smile:

Personally I would buy-out Colchester United and then immediately close the club down as unviable - well after a bit of asset-stripping.

Personally I'd always want Col Ewe and Orient (Who I personally hate more) to survive. As much as I hate them I enjoy the rivalry and its a real shame that we're not in the same division as either at the moment. The closest we have to rivalries at the moment are Daggers and Gills and I don't really mind either of those.

I think the fact is that anyone who "invests" in a football club that doesn't have a ground to develop or assets to strip is either a money launderer or doesn't mind losing all their dosh.

It is nigh on impossible to run a League 1 or 2 club at a profit without a generous benefactor.

I've said before - the sums are all wrong. Even Prem clubs with all their millions and parachute payments can't make money. If they try and run it as a business (like Arsenal) then everyone criticises them for not splashing the cash.

I love the game and hate the sport. It's corrupt from top to bottom at every level.

So, my answer? Nothing.

£10m to buy Ron out, £20m for a new stadium, £10m for running costs.

Then leave in 10 years once sustainable.

Would you do it though? £40 mill of your £92,000,000. I think with that sort of cash I'd certainly stump up the cash required to get the ball rolling on Fossetts Farm. The new ground is crucial to the future of our club and I'd pay for that 4th stand. I'd then give the manager a substancial amount to establish us as a force in the league for the next few years. With a decent ground and a decent side for the next 10 years we'd really increase our fanbase IMO.

I think Southend has the potential to be as big as say Ipswich or Norwich but I wouldn't want to spend my entire personal fortune chasing the dream as fan. Investing in the ground and initial investment in the squad would at least lay some foundations for the future without getting balls deep involved in the running of the club.

I think the fact is that anyone who "invests" in a football club that doesn't have a ground to develop or assets to strip is either a money launderer or doesn't mind losing all their dosh.

It is nigh on impossible to run a League 1 or 2 club at a profit without a generous benefactor.

I've said before - the sums are all wrong. Even Prem clubs with all their millions and parachute payments can't make money. If they try and run it as a business (like Arsenal) then everyone criticises them for not splashing the cash.

I love the game and hate the sport. It's corrupt from top to bottom at every level.

So, my answer? Nothing.

I'm with you on this one FBM, you cannot invest in a football club, you'll just end up losing your money.

Would you do it though? £40 mill of your £92,000,000. I think with that sort of cash I'd certainly stump up the cash required to get the ball rolling on Fossetts Farm. The new ground is crucial to the future of our club and I'd pay for that 4th stand. I'd then give the manager a substancial amount to establish us as a force in the league for the next few years. With a decent ground and a decent side for the next 10 years we'd really increase our fanbase IMO.

I think Southend has the potential to be as big as say Ipswich or Norwich but I wouldn't want to spend my entire personal fortune chasing the dream as fan. Investing in the ground and initial investment in the squad would at least lay some foundations for the future without getting balls deep involved in the running of the club.

with all that money You'd just build a staute as a tribute to Matt Harrold as I know how much you love him.

So, my answer? Nothing.

Great post!

Possibly this. Still got £52m afterwards, which is still a hell of a lot!

If I won that sort of money, I would possibly give most of it away and leave myself with £5-10m for myself/family and close friends.

Can see where fbm is coming from, but surely as a fan with that much money, you wouldn't be looking for a profit, money wise, on it, but a return in the form of a more stable, self-sustainable club with a bright future.

Thats my logic anyway.

So, my answer? Nothing.

Excellent post, and agree 100%.

How to turn a big fortune into a small one very quickly too!

with all that money You'd just build a staute as a tribute to Matt Harrold as I know how much you love him.

Or just buy out all the South-West lower league clubs and retire them from the league so you couldn't see us play anymore!

Possibly this. Still got £52m afterwards, which is still a hell of a lot!

If I won that sort of money, I would possibly give most of it away and leave myself with £5-10m for myself/family and close friends.

Can see where fbm is coming from, but surely as a fan with that much money, you wouldn't be looking for a profit, money wise, on it, but a return in the form of a more stable, self-sustainable club with a bright future.

Thats my logic anyway.

Yeah exactly. With that sorta cash you wouldn't be too fussed about a return. I'd just want to stabilise us and help out with things that would put us in a stronger position for the future.

Id buy Ron out and sort the stadium out. You lot would then get to watch Southend play in the new Jam Man Stadium and our first signing would be me.

Even at 42 Im still worth a shot, and anyone who criticised my woeful performances on here or at the ground would be banned for life and I would rent a crowd if required.

Er something like that.

I'd help out other volunteer-run sports clubs in the area, footing the bill for equipment and facilities they need, as well as contributing to other non-sporting causes.

As for Southend United, I might renew season tickets for my son and I, get another scarf, and buy a state-of-the-art coach for TZ. That would be about it. Far more worthier causes about.

That would still leave the club in debt of around 10M, I reckon you could get RM out for 5M or maybe less, especially if you pay him back the loans he has made to the club quickly,

Nothing. Admittedly, i may upgrade to a box, and purchase more half time draw tickets, however, there are better businesses to invest your money into, and there are worthier causes to give your money away to. If i was to put any money into a club, it would be SZFC, as that has become more of my lifes work over the last 9 years, and i would gain more fulfilment out of growing (plus it would cost a lot less!)

The problem with Napsters idea is, that once you are seen to become a bank-roller of a club, it is hard to walk away, so once your initial investment of £40m runs out, you either end up chasing your tail, or walking away, and looking a ****, its a no win, unless by some stroke of luck it become sustainable, which at this level is practically not gonna happen!

Personally I would not consider investing anything, I may , however, spend 40M on the club etc.

Buy SUFC from Ron, probably for a nominal sum, then clear the debts and put an amount aside to run the club at current levels for 5 years .
Then buy SEL from Ron, that would be the expensive bit as FF and the development potential is worth a bit , then gift it to SUFC.

See how much that lot comes to before deciding how much to put into the stadium development , whilst hoping that the off the field action has brought fans back and increased the turnover so that we are in a better position.

Back