• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How old were you when you started watching SUFC?

How old were you when you started watching SUFC live?

• Under 8 - I was a nipper.

Votes: 60 40.8%
  • 8-12 - Still a young 'en.

Votes: 61 41.5%
  • Teens - Debatable if family footy would have an effect.

Votes: 24 16.3%
  • Adult - It's about the grown-up, this footy lark.

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

overseas shrimper

Life President⭐
This is in light of the debate on TB's poll thread regarding family oriented footy and whether or not getting youngsters along to games actually has a long term good or not.

Please answer honestly rather than answering in order to manipulate the results whatever your beliefs may be.

This is about when you started watching SUFC, not necessarily about when you became an impassioned supporter and your blood turned blue. Heck, your answer could be when you were dragged kicking and screaming to the ground.

Last edited:
I was hooked from my first game at 7 years old. A large part of what got me hooked was the shouting and swearing and adult atmosphere.

So for me it's vital we have families at football, the only problem with that for me is when they start dictating what the atmosphere in the ground is like for the sake of their precious darlings. Have a family section where swearing is not tolerated by all means but the rest of the ground should carry on as it always has.

A smattering of games in mid 70s but the first match I recall was Liverpool in 79 - I was hooked from that moment on

First season was 1966/7 although I had been to three games previous.

1/6d (7.5p) for adults, 9d (4p) kids; 6d (2.5p) to transfer to the West Stand, bus fare 4/5 (22p) and 2/3 (11p).Programme 6d (2.5p).

So, as a kid, the whole lot cost me 20p!

Notice the bus fare was more than the admission!

I was 10 when I attended my first game, and Southend United have been my team since that day. My family all hail from the Tottenham side of North London, but adopted the Shrimpers as their "second" club after moving to the town just after the war.

To my mind it is vitally important that the next generation of fans are bought along as soon as possible and hopefully the love for the club will become ingrained in them as it has I and many thousands of others before and since.

I must have been 68, i have been supporting SUFC for 22 years, with recent events at the club i feel about 90.

Ten years old, watching Southend lose 1 0 at home in the cup to Man City, on an awfull bog of a pitch. Goalkeeper Trautmann was outstanding for City and kept City in the cup single handed. think it was Jan 1956, not sure though.

I was 4... Got taken to a Wednesday night game the day after my Birthday against Port Vale in the 91/92 season.

I first went in 1963 at the age of eleven by myself not with parents but soon dragged mates along with me. Although I'm told that my dad used to take me to midweek games at the Stadium when I was a toddler which I don't remember and I vaguely remember going to Roots Hall with family in 1960 the main purpose being running up and down the terraces. However the passion was a personal thing when I decided to go at 11.

First away game at the age of 12 in 1964, two twelve year olds on a coach to QPR midweek wouldn't be allowed by Wino, trust or your parents now.

DoDtS

Canveyshrimper - yes sorry - it was 1955/6 season and listed as January - I thought 1955 wrongly. :dim:

Jan 1956 it was.

I was 4... Got taken to a Wednesday night game the day after my Birthday against Port Vale in the 91/92 season.

Hmmm, intersting :sherlock:

My first game was a Wednesday night game, at Home to Port Vale, but that was in 1995. Mike Marsh scored 2 IIRC, one being a penalty. I was 9 at the time

I first went in 1963 at the age of eleven by myself not with parents but soon dragged mates along with me. Although I'm told that my dad used to take me to midweek games at the Stadium when I was a toddler which I don't remember and I vaguely remember going to Roots Hall with family in 1960 the main purpose being running up and down the terraces. However the passion was a personal thing when I decided to go at 11.

First away game at the age of 12 in 1964, two twelve year olds on a coach to QPR midweek wouldn't be allowed by Wino, trust or your parents now.

DoDtS

My first away game was Brighton in 1965 we lost 9-1. :stunned::'( It took some motivation to go to another away game after that.

In 1958 - when I was 6 - taken by my uncle who still also goes along and grumbles ! We used to stand by the floodlights beside the west stand and change ends depending on which way the Blues were playing.

Back