• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Makes me feel very old (and sad) but I was at almost all of these games mentioned! The one I missed was the Julian hails hat-trick game at Liecester because I was stuck in a traffic jam on the M1. We laughed and said that at least we wouldnt have to witness the battering only for the radio to crackle with news of each goal! By the time we arrived, we were already 3-0 up!

On a similar but different type of game you didnt expect to win, my mind is always taken back to Newport County at home in 1978 and Wigan at home in about 1987. Both times, we came back from two down with ten minutes to go, to win. The Newport game was particularly memorable, although i think i am right in saying that the Wigan game featured at least two goals from circa 30 yards from a certain David Crown!

Happy days!

On a similar note Rushden & Diamonds at home Boxing day early 00s' - we were 2 down at half time and playing absolutely dreadfully. On top of that we had Barrington Belgrave, The Cat and Mark Rawle up front - despite those facts we still ended up winning 4-2!

No necessarily a game we shouldn't have won due to league placings etc. but I remember going to Brentford on a Sunday morning when Webby was manager (so must have been 90/91 or theerabouts). Benji scored early on, but then Ansah got sent off after about 25 mins, whereupon Brentford absolutely battered us for the remaining 65 mins. Somehow we managed to hold on, and it was made all the sweeter by their goalkeeper (Graham Benstead), getting more and more irate as each chance came and went....

Thats bizarre. I was at that game. One of my first away games (living in London in my early to mid teens most of my away games were at Brentford!) I remember Benji scoring (my recollection was it being first half) but i have no recollection of Ansah being sent off!
Great game, made up for the 4-0 thumping we got there 2 years earlier when Sammy had a blinder and we barely got out of our own half

Crystal Palace, home, custard splat kit season.

If I recall correctly, Andy Thomson put us one up early on and then Palace battered us. In those days the RBS family stand didn't exist as such and it was all the West stand. Not exactly being a sell out, me and my mate went to the South Bank end (the end we attacked in the second half) as we had somehow turned around still 1-0 up and Palace battered us even more. We actually spent the entire second half sitting in our seats facing the North Bank as that was where the action was. Freedman missed a penalty I think. Then the inevitable equaliser came and we waited to capitulate as Palace turned the screw again. In the last couple of minutes we somehow got a breakaway and a cross came in from the left to the back post where Boere headed home. We won 2-1. Star peformances from the defence, every one of them.

I went to the Harry afterwards and there were some Palace fans in there, absolutely shellshocked. I actually apologised to them for the mugging. Seriously the most one sided game I can remember.

speaking of sendings off, what about Swansea away , 2-1 up and down to 9 men then Gower gets his marching orders whilst being subbed. The First thing Marc Warren did when he eventually got on the pitch was to get our third and we hung on for 3-2

I believe we are still the only side in League history to score with 8 men on the pitch (thankyou Mark Warren!). And to actually win the game was incredible.....

speaking of sendings off, what about Swansea away , 2-1 up and down to 9 men then Gower gets his marching orders whilst being subbed. The First thing Marc Warren did when he eventually got on the pitch was to get our third and we hung on for 3-2

Good call. I remember 8 against 11 hanging on 2-1 up and your Centre Back goes marauding up the middle ("what's he doing" everyone shouts..for some reason despite having 3 extra men Swansea decide to watch him in amazement rather than try to approach him. Then he sort of toe ends it along the ground and it rolls in the corner. That is right up there in the all time SUFC Champagne moments.

Crystal Palace, home, custard splat kit season.

If I recall correctly, Andy Thomson put us one up early on and then Palace battered us. In those days the RBS family stand didn't exist as such and it was all the West stand. Not exactly being a sell out, me and my mate went to the South Bank end (the end we attacked in the second half) as we had somehow turned around still 1-0 up and Palace battered us even more. We actually spent the entire second half sitting in our seats facing the North Bank as that was where the action was. Freedman missed a penalty I think. Then the inevitable equaliser came and we waited to capitulate as Palace turned the screw again. In the last couple of minutes we somehow got a breakaway and a cross came in from the left to the back post where Boere headed home. We won 2-1. Star peformances from the defence, every one of them.

I went to the Harry afterwards and there were some Palace fans in there, absolutely shellshocked. I actually apologised to them for the mugging. Seriously the most one sided game I can remember.

Absolutely spot on, just the one I was thinking of. It was so one sided it was embarrassing and of course it was shown to be a freak result by that being one of only 3 wins from November to the end of the season. I cringe everytime I think of or see any reference to that season, truly shocking.

Wasn't a win but Norwich in the championship at RH. Went 1-0 up then was 3-1 going into last few minutes then come back to draw 3-3. Felt like a win for me, so happy we got a point!

Back