• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There's a distinct lack of threads at the moment, likely due to our good fortune. That's not a criticism, there just always seems to be less to debate when things are running smoothly on the pitch...

So how do we think the season is going to pan out from here?

Our goalkeeper has had some controversial moments but is at least getting the game time he'll need if we're ever going to see him back to his previous best.
Our defence seems pretty miserly.
Our midfield just seems to work, with a good blend of solidity and creativity.
Our attacking players just can't stop scoring with two strikers bang on form and with undoubted quality on the bench.

We're playing good football and climbing the table, but our current dependency on loan players hints at potential problems to come. Do we need to be worrying about other teams looking at the likes of Timlin, Tomlin, and Hurst in January? Will Phillips last the season without injury? How much of a contribution are we ultimately going to see from the likes of Straker, Prosser, Leonard, Martin, Eastwood and Corr? Have we seen the last of Harris?

Can't help but think there'll be some major twists and turns in the coming months.

Think we will finish in the play offs - then its a lottery

"south bank hank" - i dont think we will see Harris play for the blues again this season.

On the evidence of the last few games I doubt there's many better teams in the division. We're playing great counter-attacking football away from home, at home we're playing at a high tempo which is great to watch and very difficult for teams to defend against, we look deadly at set-pieces, we have a strong defence and have two of the best strikers at this level unable to get into the team because of how well the starting forwards are playing.

My only concern is what happens when Laird & Mkindawire's loans expire. If we can sign them, extend their loans or bring in replacements then I think we'll be fine. If the money isn't there to replace them or Sturrock's hands are tied because of another embarge then we'll tail off.

All teams rely on loans, its nothing to complain about and is just something Sturrock needs to manage. Hopefully now the season is half way through cashflow has been better and we wont endure any embargos to prevent him replacing any of the loans that leave.

Im not sure we are relying to heavily on them anyway, our back 5 is ours, its only Tam and Britt really (I think Laird will sign).

We have some decent players to fall back on so fingers crossed we can continue this momentum, however we have a couple of very tough games coming up against teams around us, but this season we seem to actually be doing ok against the better teams so fingers crossed.

We're the best team in the division at the moment but the season ends in May not now. We all remembered what happened last season where we had a pretty poor feb/march. Getting at least 2 out of the three loanees till end of season is vital. If we have to fall back to the likes of Spicer and Leonard we wont go up. Much depends on injuries too, any bad injuries to the likes of Creswell, Tomlin, Timlin would be a hammer blow. Need to ship out a few in Jan and maybe get a couple more in for competition. Port Vale and Gillingham look strong at the mo, and Rotherham are starting to fire too.

And hopefully, our renewed form might well encourage other, good, loan players to come here. Their clubs will know they will get a good work out and the player should get plenty of experience and confidence from playing in an upwardly mobile team.....................you're not likely to be queuing up to play for Aldershite.

I would like to think that Sturrock has a plan, I'm sure he is aware of the situation with the loan players, given that he signed them. Players like Laird making statements that indicate he has a desire stay at Southend can only be a positive thing, Makindawire is key for me however. If we can keep him for the rest of the season that will be a huge plus, the work he does in front of the defence is very important. I think with Assabalonga, we will have to consign to the fact that he wont be here in the new year. I think that Watford will want to take him back, either to give him a chance in their team or go out on loan to a League One team or possibly a Championship team to further develop him, and see how he reacts to the challenge. The thing with loan players that perform well, is that they catch the eye of there parent club who inevitably want them back. The only thing that goes in favour with this is that Watford are not struggling and seem to be scoring plenty of goals of late.

I think that the fringe players that are not getting a look in at the moment will do more to stay in the team when they get the chance. What will also make them work harder is knowing that their positions are not a given when they are in the team, and that if they underperform that a loan player can easily be captured. Although I feel Sturrock will have to start integrating the likes of Corr, and Eastwood in to the team soon to make sure they gain match fitness and sharpness, ready for the departure of Assabalonga.

I must say that im confident in our entire squad. we have players that can come in and do a more that competent job when called upon which are all settled and have a good raport!

Yes the loaneee situation is crucial , but without checking I'm pretty sure several of the squads in L1 and L2 are made up of a fair sprinkling of loanees - I guess it's due to the way finances dicate things for many teams ( i.e not many can afford to have a full squad of players all signed up for 3+ years ).
That said , I think our 'squad' is strong.
Prosser was playing really well before he injured his arse or whatever it was.
Woodyard was also starting to blossom , so can now be thought of as decent back up ( same for Bentley ).
Corr and Eastwood ( hopefully ) should be chomping at the bit ready for a chance - Martin too.
Straker and Spice Girl have taken time to settle , but hopefully both are better than we've seen so far.

I'm sure Luggy would like to keep Laird permanently , and if he off loads Hall and Mohsni , then surely he will have some funds to do this.
I hope we can keep Tam and Britt for the season , but guess it depends on their clubs.
Just glad both Millwall and Watford are doing well , so 'may' lessen their need for these guys - clutching at straws now !

Hopefully Luggy has seen the varying levels of disruption players like Mohsni and Hall can cause in terms of harmony , and any 'new loanees' will be the right type of player in terms of attitude and not just ability.

All good for now , but as SBH says , a long way to go and lots of ups and downs ahead no doubt ( it is SUFC after all ).

IMO ( and this is a repeat again ) the division is not as strong as last season , and I think we have a good chance of promotion this time.

p.s. Luggy to be knighted if all goes well.

Think we will finish in the play offs - then its a lottery

"south bank hank" - i dont think we will see Harris play for the blues again this season.

Why do people insist on calling the playoffs a lottery ?

You play home and away to decide the finalists and then play a final on a neutral ground.

No luck involved in the concept of playoffs.

All teams do rely on loans but it's just the size of the hole that would be left in the midfield (which I maintain is the most important position for any team) if you take ours out which is my concern.

Britt is quality but we've got other strikers. It's no coincidence that our upturn coincided with signing some strong midfielders who are experienced and talented. We need to keep those or bring similar players in.

You play home and away to decide the finalists and then play a final on a neutral ground.

Of course there's luck involved. It's a single tie which can be influenced by refereeing decisions, luck, the pitch or an individual mistake.

If we're the best team of the 24 teams in the league then over 46 games that will be shown.

If we're the best team of the four teams in the play offs then over a semi final and one-off final that hopefully will be shown but it's clearly less certain.

As you point out , it is totally incorrect in this instance , but all the same , 'lottery' is a great football cliche !
I prefer to call the play offs a game of 4 to 6 halfs - much more accurate whilst losing none of the cliche value.

Last edited:
Keep Assombalonga, Laird and Donnelly (he will be good I hope) and we will be sniffing promotion again. Lose any of them players, we will struggle IMO to sustain this momentum. The reason I haven't mentioned Mkandawire is because he will be gone in Jan

Of course there's luck involved. It's a single tie which can be influenced by refereeing decisions, luck, the pitch or an individual mistake.

There's the opportunity for luck (refereeing decisions, individual mistake etc) in any games. You don't say the FA Cup or the European Cup or the World Cup are lotteries when they get to the semi-final stage.

Back