• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How would you like our trust to proceed?

Should the Shrimpers Trust pull out from SUFC Support?

• Total voters

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
The question I am posing here is what you would
like the Supports Trust to do moving forward after the latest shambles at Southend United.

Question is a simple yes or no…

Would you like to see the trust pull it’s support from Southend United and throw all its power and weight behind the removal of Ron Martin and helping facilitate new ownership to try and take control of the club

Some extra context to consider, other clubs around the U.K. have been led by their supporters clubs/trust in removing owners, one example is Blackpool who I have spent much time conversing with their trust over what they did. The outcome was (although they never wanted to be in this position) they saw that they had to be cruel to be kind to ensure that the club was returned to safe hands, it’s not a decision they took lightly and I don’t envy it one bit, but it worked and new life was given to Blackpool with a return of fans in huge numbers. If anybody would like more on what went on up there I can pass on the email address I have of A few of the people that run things up there.

I think in summary to my view as a trust member myself, enough is really enough.

Just to note I’m not talking about stopping any of the good services to fans like travel or charitable work, I’m talking about working to remove our owner and help with change in ownership

Please note I’m posting this as a life member of the trust and it’s intention is to help give them a feeling of what a slice of SUFC fans thinks should be the plan going forward, this is not for slagging or anything like that, we all know the trust do some superb charity work and nobody can question their love of the club so if we can keep it constructive as our clubs future can hinge on directions like this.

Last edited:
No.

1) As far as I'm aware, what the Trust do is very little in relation to Ron's running of the club. They refurbished the gym at B&L. They run Junior Blues. They run away coaches (if they stopped doing this, there are alternatives). Apart from that, I struggle to see what Shrimpers Trust actually do, and what pulling out their current support would actually achieve (in regards to Ron).

2) We have gone over this SO MANY TIMES. Ron is too deep in the club that a buy out would either need him to be very very generous (in being in debt and letting someone else run the club and taking any profits), or the person taking over to be very very rich. Neither are happening. This conversation is a non-starter.

Edit - I'm happy to be educated on the Trust, and what powers they would have against Ron if they wanted him out...

No.

1) As far as I'm aware, what the Trust do is very little in relation to Ron's running of the club. They refurbished the gym at B&L. They run Junior Blues. They run away coaches (if they stopped doing this, there are alternatives). Apart from that, I struggle to see what Shrimpers Trust actually do, and what pulling out their current support would actually achieve (in regards to Ron).

2) We have gone over this SO MANY TIMES. Ron is too deep in the club that a buy out would either need him to be very very generous (in being in debt and letting someone else run the club and taking any profits), or the person taking over to be very very rich. Neither are happening. This conversation is a non-starter.
I should have been more clear I’m not saying stop running coaches or any charitable work. I’m talking about taking a stance that no future endeavours where the club think they can go cap in hand to the trust and bank on it to help every time to a regime at the club that should be able to support its own affairs.
Not only that the trust has the members and the reach to make a difference.

I think doing nothing is simply not an option for us supporters.

On your second point one group of buyers I know are prepared to make a very generous offer to Ron but until he sits down how would he know!

They should of done years ago. In my opinion all they have done is indirectly (not intentional) assist him in our downward spiral by 'holding meetings' rather than condemning his actions. They should of made demands and held him accountable long ago.

I should have been more clear I’m not saying stop running coaches or any charitable work. I’m talking about taking a stance that no future endeavours where the club think they can go cap in hand to the trust and bank on it to help every time to a regime at the club that should be able to support its own affairs.
Not only that the trust has the members and the reach to make a difference.

I think doing nothing is simply not an option for us supporters.

On your second point one group of buyers I know are prepared to make a very generous offer to Ron but until he sits down how would he know!
Then I think it is time to really crank up the protests. In my opinion the season is pretty much over. Possibly a slim chance of play offs. (Ok come and slag off my opinion) protests at every home and away game and anything else legal that people can think of. Pressure really needs to be excerted on this w****r unti he is gone

They should of done years ago. In my opinion all they have done is indirectly (not intentional) assist him in our downward spiral by 'holding meetings' rather than condemning his actions. They should of made demands and held him accountable long ago.

What demands could they make, and how do they hold him accountable?

Ultimately, RM owns the Club, and can do with it as he sees fit (within reason). If he wants us to play in blue and white stripes (like them up the A12), we would have to. If he wanted to move us to another part of Essex, he could. If he wants to change the name of the Club he could.

If the Trust said, we demand that all staff wages are paid (as this is the current issue), and they aren’t. How to the trust hold RM accountable? They can’t sack him. It’s not the same as you (unless you own a company) and I, in the respect you have someone above you who could sack you, we don’t have that with RM.

Yes, we can vote with our feet on certain issues, but that will only do so much.

Again, im not defending RM, im just trying to be educated on what demands they can and should make, and then when they aren’t met, how is RM held accountable in a meaningful way?

Question for those that voted no, do you not want the trust to be involved in getting the club in new hands? Or is it that you feel it’s not their remit?

All these opinions are helpful as it’s a really tough position for the trust when your whole purpose is to help the club but it’s being owned by somebody most don’t want at our club

Then I think it is time to really crank up the protests. In my opinion the season is pretty much over. Possibly a slim chance of play offs. (Ok come and slag off my opinion) protests at every home and away game and anything else legal that people can think of. Pressure really needs to be excerted on this w****r unti he is gone

Season pretty much over on the 23rd September? Okay. Let’s pack up our bags and move onto next season already.

Watching the Wrexham documentary, look where Stockport, and Wrexham themselves were at this stage last season. Turned out alright for one of them.

Cruel to be kind I'm afraid.

It's the unfortunate direction we are being steered towards.

I'm pretty sure if the staff could say what they wanted to on here, they would want the fans to take proper action as well.

The fact the staff have started to take action themselves tells us everything we need to know.

Season pretty much over on the 23rd September? Okay. Let’s pack up our bags and move onto next season already.

Watching the Wrexham documentary, look where Stockport, and Wrexham themselves were at this stage last season. Turned out alright for one of them.
Those clubs haven't got off field issues, southend have...... I doubt the moral in the club is very high, after all the players are human beings I'm sure their not very happy with staff being unpaid like us fans.

Those clubs haven't got off field issues, southend have...... I doubt the moral in the club is very high, after all the players are human beings I'm sure their not very happy with staff being unpaid like us fans.

I’m referring to them both having “slow starts” and the season turned out okay. It’s laughable to write the season off on the 23rd September.

It may be the case that we don’t achieve league title/promotion/play offs, but nothing is lost on the 23rd September in terms of final position.

Anyways, back onto the subject of this thread…

I’d like the Trust to hold talks with RM around what his end plan is.

Ron has publicly said he’d look to pass on control when the time is right. With Fossetts edging closer the time is clearly coming closer.

So let’s see what those plans are, what the key milestones are and whether the Trust can help advance them and/or firm them up.

Were Ron to refuse such a reasonable request that would reflect badly on Ron and alienate the support of many of the more moderate supporters and risk more scenes like we saw v Chesterfield last season.

Carl Reader will find it difficult to get all Southend supporters behind him without revealing his actual plan. So far, it's all been mates that know him from school or another walk in life saying he is a sound lad.

In regards to anti-Ron, I personally think he's the best option available at the moment. On the pitch, we are capable and made strong signings. Off the pitch, the new training ground is being built and FF is on the way. On paper, Ron has taken all steps we wanted him to take in the previous seasons...

Yes, a businessman/club should be paying people on time, there's no question about that. In my opinion, it would help clear a lot of facts up if these unpaid employees came on the Zone and shared their non-payment complaints and whether there is/was an actual agreement to defer payday to help cashflow. I know that pay is a private matter though and that is a risky step that many are unwilling to take.

I can’t vote yes or no, think we should have had a don’t know voting option.
I think Ron wouldn’t take any notice of what we think 🤔. In my opinion Ron is pretty much untouchable unfortunately.
Best hope is he sells quickly when he’s cashed in on the development money.
We can only sit tight and hope it happens sooner rather than later.

I can’t vote yes or no, think we should have had a don’t know voting option.
I think Ron wouldn’t take any notice of what we think 🤔. In my opinion Ron is pretty much untouchable unfortunately.
Best hope is he sells quickly when he’s cashed in on the development money.
We can only sit tight and hope it happens sooner rather than later.
At Blackpool they initially thought that about Oyston , I don’t pretend to have the answers but it’s been made to happen elsewhere so why is Southend any different?

Maybe it did. I am giving my thought on it. It’s not compulsory to agree

Back