• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

HSBC to cut 750 jobs in Southend

Terrible news, have had many friends who've worked there over the years - Southend has always been a focal point of the credit card business in the country, now there's going to be very little left.....just RBS in fact I think, and they're hardly "in town" and I think they're also cutting back.

Best of luck to those from on here that are caught up in this.

i used to do cleaning there, worked with c**** b****** who was a west stand regular, back when it was midland bank. Don't know if he posts on here. Unfortunately me and a co-worker thought it was funny to drop drinks from the vending machine down onto people in victoria circus, so that job came to it's natural conclusion.

Last edited:
Yeah my brother Chris use to do the cleaning at Midland Bank in town (probably around mid 90s), couple of hours a night for about £25 a week I think.

Would be a shame to see more businesses leave the town, the town centre is bad enough as it is for the amount of empty shops it has.

Yeah my brother Chris use to do the cleaning at Midland Bank in town (probably around mid 90s), couple of hours a night for about £25 a week I think.

Would be a shame to see more businesses leave the town, the town centre is bad enough as it is for the amount of empty shops it has.
If he is who i'm talking about, I never understood why he did it as a second job! Send him my regards

Terrible news, have had many friends who've worked there over the years - Southend has always been a focal point of the credit card business in the country, now there's going to be very little left.....just RBS in fact I think, and they're hardly "in town" and I think they're also cutting back.

Best of luck to those from on here that are caught up in this.

thats one way of putting it

Friend of mine has just been told her job is no more, but have offered her a job, having to relocate to Birmingham. Don't know if it's their way of getting out of paying redundancy, offer someone a job elsewhere and when they don't want to take it, as they are turning down the offer, they lose out on redundanct as their job was relocating rather than redundancy?

Friend of mine has just been told her job is no more, but have offered her a job, having to relocate to Birmingham. Don't know if it's their way of getting out of paying redundancy, offer someone a job elsewhere and when they don't want to take it, as they are turning down the offer, they lose out on redundanct as their job was relocating rather than redundancy?

Doesnt appear so...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/EmploymentContractsAndConditions/DG_10028541

High Street branch or card services?

if we are talking about the same chris, which I'm pretty sure we are, it'd be card services.

I would imagine 750 people is a significant percentage of the employed population of Southend and it will undoubtedly have a knock on effect with local businesses.

Another blow to the town. Don't look at this in isolation, look at whats happened over the years. Walk down Vic Avenue and see all those empty office buildings. Where did all those jobs go? The other major employer, mine, have cut over 1000 jobs in 3 years and more to come.

Just what will our children do for a living in the town?

Another blow to the town. Don't look at this in isolation, look at whats happened over the years. Walk down Vic Avenue and see all those empty office buildings. Where did all those jobs go? The other major employer, mine, have cut over 1000 jobs in 3 years and more to come.

Just what will our children do for a living in the town?

I know Kerry, when you think back to the boom years of the late 70s/early 80s and all those office blocks full - the town thriving and the populace likewise, Vic Ave is like a ghost town now.

Both myself & my fiancee work for HSBC Credit Cards operation in Southend.

Arrived for work on Tuesday only to be ushered over to the Odeon with 300 of our colleagues.
We were then 'treated' to a 20 minute presentation from our (deservedly) much maligned newly appointed (Birmingham based) Senior manager.

He advised that the lease has 2 years remaining on the Chartwell House & will not be renewed, the 1st wave of redundacies will be in May 10, then every 6 months until end of 2011.

There are roles available at Birmingham, which I should mention HSBC are already recruiting for OUTSIDE of the bank - so no guarantees there.
He stressed these will only be offered to suitable candidates with the required skills & no retraining will be offered in the interim should you not possess the abilities required.

The bank is making continued healthy profits & did not need to make this decision but has decided to press ahead in the interests of strategy & streamlining the business.

I have worked my nuts off for 12 years & do not fancy a move to Brum (I do NOT want to sound like Noddy Holder) nor work from Canary Wharf.

After a subsequent 1-1 with my line manager, he advised I will be expected to train up my Brum-based replacement in due course.

I will remain professional & continue my role to the very best of my ability, but I seriously feel like telling my boss to do one..

Whatever happened to a duty of care to your employees? All went wrong when HSBC took over Midland Bank imho, the old bosses at Midland were far more likely to have some consideration for you, and in walked HSBC and there was an enormous waive of redundancies right from the off.

Have the unions expressed any opinion on this? I mean, I just don't see why Birmingham.

Whatever happened to a duty of care to your employees? All went wrong when HSBC took over Midland Bank imho, the old bosses at Midland were far more likely to have some consideration for you, and in walked HSBC and there was an enormous waive of redundancies right from the off.

Have the unions expressed any opinion on this? I mean, I just don't see why Birmingham.

HR............

Don't trust them, they are evil sceaming no good rotten scoundrels!

:scared:

I will get away with it, she is probably to busy sacking someone to read this!!

Good to be talking again Kay
;)

Back