• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Irish_Shrimper

Ant from across the Pond
Got back late yesterday afternoon from my weekend trip over for the defeat against Huddersfield. Took a couple of pics, as did Rich (The Big Shrimp) - A couple of which where I got to meet Mr Alan McCormack after the match :)

n1186775235_233020_2192.jpg

L-R: OBL, Macca, Ricey, Me

n661591923_1674920_8576.jpg

L-R: toellandback, Ricey

n661591923_1674919_8111.jpg

Trueblue doing a pre match jig

n1186775235_233019_221.jpg

L-R: OBL, Macca, Me

Saturday started off with a flight at 6:30am from Shannon to Stansted, where Ricey picked me up in his beyootiful Alfa Romeo, and we made our way to 'Sunny' Southend. Checked into the b&b, and we then had some breakfast, followed by a romantic shopping trip on Southend High Street. Good times :D Got to the Spread around 12:30, looking forward to a big 7-0 win later in the afternoon.

Good turnout for the pre match drinks - was great seeing everyone that I did see. Was there for the uncomfortable moment toellandback put on the Southend jersey for the first time. It took some time, but I could see in his eyes he felt nothing but love for his new colours :) Unfortunately, he informed me he didn't know any Southend songs for the match...I mentioned the 'One Richie Foran' chant, but couldn't hear him in the West singing it during the match itself. It'll catch on, someday :(

Was quite a surprise to see so many kids at the Hall for the match. Where I usually put my flag was completely full, so luckily they let me down by the corner flag to put it up. Getting any singing going in the West during the match was a complete disaster it seemed - but fair play to Smiffy and co. on the drums - who at least tried to get things going.

As for the match itself, it was just one of those days at the office IMO. Not much seemed to go right for us, but their 'keeper did pull off a couple of very good saves. The penalty was a weird situation: For some reason I just knew we would miss it and lose in the end. When Barney came on, he was asking Freedman down by where we were in the West why he didn't take it. Couldn't hear why, but just a lot of shoulder shrugging from Dougie. After such a long lay off, perhaps didn't feel confident enough to do it...Maybe if I had offered him a bite of the double decker bar Jackie gave me at half time...who knows :support:

After the match, OBL had arranged for me to meet her bestest best friend Alan McCormack. Was a true gent - asked me how I was after my stint in hospital, told me to ignore doctor advice and have a few scoops that night, and signed my Irish flag too :) Toughest part was stopping Ricey from looking at his sisters though...he really liked the accents he said on the way out :D

Shame not many stayed around afterwards for Gareth's big Southend sing song, but fair play to him, Paul and everyone else involved in raising the huge amount of money that they did for a great cause. We'll see you again in the playoff final Gareth mate!!

Felt quite pikey at this stage, so went back to the b&b courtesy of Ricey, and got an early night. Bus journey to Stansted the next morning was horrible, and summarised how I shouldn't have travelled over in the first place having being only out of hospital a few days, but despite an 0-1 defeat, i'd do it all again tomorrow if I had to :) Always a pleasure meeting you all, and look forward to seeing everyone again at Stamford Bridge!

UTB!

Ant

Last edited:
Top notch review there Ant. Was a cracking day :)

Glad the photo's were to your liking, even if I did chop off part of Shrimper on the flag. I was more concerned I got you & Macca in it.

I think you should tell the truth about what Ricey said about Macca's sisters. He was sniffing around a bit though!

I too thought Macca was a top bloke too. Very genuine & friendly & nothing like the nutter on the pitch!

Was good to see you mate but you looked like death warmed up!

Hopefully at Chelski you'll be better and by Feb you'll be back on the booze!

Good effort Ant.

I thought you looked very well....or is that just a reflection on how rough you were at Carlisle last season? :stunned:

my god, he must have been bricking it, being stuck between his two stalkers there

He was nothing other than a gent as were all the other players we saw while waiting for him, and at least Ant finally got an answer - well sort of - to the Richie Foran question!

It was really very wrong of Ant to come over so soon after his appendix op, got quite worried about him going various shades of whiter than white during the day but at least getting his flag signed by one of the Irish boys kind of made up for it.

And Buntrock, don't think I'm ignoring that, I am starting to keep a log of just exactly how many slaps you are owed!

You and the other overseas Shrimpers deserve a medal in my book, or at least free admission in recognition of the travelling expense.

Quite apart from that the trouble you all go to is a lesson to us all about what it means to be a true sports fan & supporter of the team, regardless of the result.

You and the other overseas Shrimpers deserve a medal in my book, or at least free admission in recognition of the travelling expense.

Quite apart from that the trouble you all go to is a lesson to us all about what it means to be a true sports fan & supporter of the team, regardless of the result.

Does Sweaty land class as oversseas!!!

:D

Back