• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lincoln Shrimp

First XI⭐
My first game of the season and I was really impressed with our performance and the confidence our players displayed when in possession, despite the fact that Hull fielding a weakened side.

Mildy - 5 - I'm afraid he was the one player who didn't earn his money tonight. He had pretty much nothing to do for the entire evening, but picked the ball out of the net 3 times. He was slow to react to the first strike that sailed over his head....then was even slower in his attempts to get down and save a scuffed shot low to his right from the free kick. The third goal was also not perfectly struck and went through a crowded penalty box and across Mildy's right hand....could he have down better again? His performance reminded me very much of Steve Collis on that night when we lost 4-1 at Notts Forest a couple of years ago for those who were there. He simply does not get down to low shots quick enough.

franno - 9 - Absolutely fantastic tonight. Up and down that right flank all evening and put in some superb crosses that we really should have made more of. I am his biggest critic but when he plays like that he is championship class.

Heath - 8 - quietly went about his business and got in tackles and headers at the right times. Reminds me a bit of the old Lincoln centre back Ben Futcher...but Heath is a bit more mobile. Sign him up.
Mvoto - 8 - looks really good. Rather like Heath, he soaked up what little Hull threw at him and got in some crunching tackles including one superb last ditch tackle in the first half to deny their forward a certain goal. Very imposing and looks so calm when in possession of a football.
Barrett - 7 - had a good game, Got caught out off position at times in first half, but second half he got forward to good effect to aid our attacking threat.

Grant - 7 - Started sloppily and his poor control led to the shot for the first goal. Improved as the game went on and is an excellent footballer...had a great chance seconds before being replaced by Betsy.
Chrisophe 7.5 - There are so many on here who don't see what a great job JFC does for the side. He is our Claude Makelele. Shields the back 4, and then uses his physical presence to win the ball and set up attacks. Did well tonight, working fantastically with Macca.
macca - 9 - Macca (second half in particular) was immense. He completely dominated the midfield, with bundles of energy...rarely gave the ball away, charged passed challenges and left the opposition chasing his shadow.
Moussa - 7.5 - good display, great goal and after a first half when he drifted inside too much, in the second he really came into his own and used the ball well, rarely losing it. Great piece of skill near the end before tamely shooting at the keeper when others were in better positions to score.

Revs - 8 - dominant in the air and his link up play was great at times. He should have scored at least twice tonight though. His performance surprised me, although you wonder if he will ever score you more than 6/7 each season. Looked to be struggling with injury in final 10 mins.
Barney - 9 - worked hard, held the ball up brilliantly but probably only had 1 half chance all evening, despite almost getting on the end of several crosses from Francis in the second half. He worked brilliantly with Revell I have to say. Just lacks that extra yard of pace.

betsy - 7 - created two decent chances and produced one sublime piece of skill.
sawyer - 6.5 - Didn't touch the ball for first 10 mins, before producing one great piece of skill which led to us nearly scoring. That seemed to get him going.

walker - 6 - nothing of note, and failed to pull the trigger when running on goal. He will never make the grade. Can we flog him before the window closes and get Chris Dickson in from Charlton or even Jonathan Forte from Scunthorpe?

There was so many positives tonight. We were the better side tonight (even Hull fans said this on my way out) and deserved to win the match. Hull had 3 shots on target and scored 3. The players clearly grew in confidence from about 20 mins onwards and played some delightful football at times. What impressed me was their ability to actually keep hold of the ball for long periods. Just a bit more width and pace is required to turn us into a genuine force inn league 1. Tilson's biggest problem lies in deciding how to utilise the midfield players he has available. We have such strength in depth and a lot of them actually work well together. I remember watching Sawyer and Christophe at Scunny last season and they worked a treat too.

A very enjoyable evening....just felt so hard done by to lose 3-1. How did it happen? Maybe Mildy can tell us?!

Great match report - thanks Lincoln Shrimp. I didn't see the game but the radio commentators didn't seem to blame Mildy. They felt that the first goal was Grant's fault for giving the ball away. I completely agree with you about Barney's pace. At one point in the Millwall game Revs kicked the ball up the wing for Barney to chase and got there ahead of him! Part of the reason for it was Rev's commitment which IMO is greater than Barney's. Revs does have an agonising number of near misses so I suspect you may be right about his scoring rate although I hope not. I also completely agree with you about Christophe - so many opposition attacks break down at him and he scores a fair few as well. In all honesty, I can't say I'm that bothered about the Carling Cup this season given the problems with cover that we are likely to have in the squad (particularly defence) but well done to the boys for giving it a good shot.

How unlucky were we? 3 players got a 9/10 and 3 got an 8/10, yet we still lost 3-1 to Hull City reserves. Can someone post up some realistic ratings please

How unlucky were we? 3 players got a 9/10 and 3 got an 8/10, yet we still lost 3-1 to Hull City reserves. Can someone post up some realistic ratings please

I was there and the players that were marked 8 and 9 was indeed the type of marks I would have awarded, especially to Franno, Macca and Barny.

We thoroughly deserved something from this game, especially on the 2nd half performance. It is irrelevant if it was the Hull reserve team , they still had far more premiership experience than any of our players. The fact that they had to bring on Kilbane, Giovanni and their new multi million pound signing speaks volumes for the respect we earned from Brown in that second half. As I have said on anothe thread, if it was not for the sharpness of warner in the second half , we would defo have levelled and maybe even gone on to win it.

Excellent performance boys, made the journey worthwhile !!

UTB's

I'm sorry, but if you were there you would have hopefully seen what I did....a committed, and in the second half, a totally dominant performance. Francis, Barnard and Macca were all fantastic. Trust me I am the first to be critical...but after watching that there's no way I can be. They had pretty much 3 shots on target the whole evening and rarely threatened our back line

Mildy - 6 - should have done done better with the second
franno - 8 - frantastic!
Heath - 6 - quiet
Mvoto - 7 - looks pretty handy
Barrett - 6 - not great, out off position a lot and not 100%
Grant - 6.5 - should have dne better in the final third
Chrisophe 6 - tends to only win the ball if he's given it away
macca - 7 - glimpses of quality but chasing shadows for most of the game
Moussa - 8 - superb, great goal and used possession well
Revs - 8 - dominant in the air and should have scored, plesantly impressed
Barney - 7 - works hard but didn't get a chance infront of goal

betsy - 7 - created two decent chances
sawyer - 6.5 - looked like he picked up a knock straight away
walker - 6 - nothing of note

plenty of positives and great support, slowly got onto the game and Gave hull a fright!

Glad the general feedback on Revs seems to be 'pleasantly surprised' - maybe people have forgot the sort of form he was in before breaking his leg last year.

100% commitment and deserves a run in the side now - I'm sure he'll nick a few goals alongside Barnard. More importantly, it looks like he has got the shirt now and if that keeps Freedman and Walker sidelined, then all the better!

Glad the general feedback on Revs seems to be 'pleasantly surprised' - maybe people have forgot the sort of form he was in before breaking his leg last year.

100% commitment and deserves a run in the side now - I'm sure he'll nick a few goals alongside Barnard. More importantly, it looks like he has got the shirt now and if that keeps Freedman and Walker sidelined, then all the better!

Pleased to hear he played well last night. With Freedman looking shot, I think Revell/Barnard is the way to go for the time being.

I was plesantly surprised by how fit and athletic he looked after a long time out. He won a lot in the air and directed intellegent headers, and he was sharper in the box that barney, who played well but was no way a 9/10 performance!!

Revs and Barney the grusome twosome to hit us into the play-off ;)
that's what I'm backing!

First 20 minutes we were, frankly, rubbish - only Jeff, Heath and Revs were playing. They got their first in that space of time, and I'd say it was a mistake by Grant that lead to it. 2nd, Mildy should have had, no question, though I do think the wall broke, 3rd, not sure you can blame anyone really - it was the other end, Barrett was knackered and it came from his side.

Mildy - 6, his positional play is starting to worry me a little, and to clash with your own central defender in a situation as he and Mvoto did is just silly.
Franno - 8, another very good perfromance from Franno - this is the Franno we were crying out for last season. Some fantatic creative passing, and a long range shot
Mvoto - 7, dodgy first 20 mins, but settled down well.
Heath - 8, sign him, that is all
Barrett -7, it's really not fair to play Adam here, he's not quick enough anymore and looked totally knackered but still ran his guts out. Looked more exposed by Moussa's wanderings than White does
Grant - 4, awful performance, just terrible. Kept giving the ball away, cost us the first goal
Macca - 8, another who was awol for the first 20 mins but when he woke up, by Christ did he! Had he kept it up throughout he'd have had a higher score, good passing AGAIN people and two decent shots on goal
Jeff - 9, my MOTM, as Lincoln Shrimp says, he's like Claude Makelele (he'd take that as a compliment). Strong on the ball and hassles and harries, love him
Moussa - 7, again quiet first 20, his goal seemed to be in slowmo with him the only one on real time! Took it well and it gave him some impetus after that. Got to stay more in position though until we get a settled LB
Barney - 8, another strong performance by Barney, not enough link play between him and Revs for me, felt he does that better with Dougie, but did everything asked of him except score and that wasn't for the want of trying
Revs - 8, same as Barney, had more chances than Barney and would ahve loved him to score, thought he took a knock after Barney went off so that'll be interesting

Subs:
Betsy for Grant - 7.5, came on and looked very dangerous. Opened up the flanks and gave us options. Needs a few starts I think
Sawyer for Jeff - 7, as mentioned above, in trouble with the ref very quickly
Walker for Barney - 6.5, didn't really notice him

Ref: 5, ok-ish, got a few wrong but don't they all? Favoured us for a period in the first half then Hull for the 2nd is how it felt. Free kick that gave them their 2nd was never a free kick, and there were several like that

Us: Well, I thought we were pretty good, we had some laughs and I particularly liked the "Grant, stop marking Franno!" comment from some wag.

First 20 minutes we were, frankly, rubbish - only Jeff, Heath and Revs were playing. They got their first in that space of time, and I'd say it was a mistake by Grant that lead to it. 2nd, Mildy should have had, no question, though I do think the wall broke, 3rd, not sure you can blame anyone really - it was the other end, Barrett was knackered and it came from his side.

Mildy - 6, his positional play is starting to worry me a little, and to clash with your own central defender in a situation as he and Mvoto did is just silly.
Franno - 8, another very good perfromance from Franno - this is the Franno we were crying out for last season. Some fantatic creative passing, and a long range shot
Mvoto - 7, dodgy first 20 mins, but settled down well.
Heath - 8, sign him, that is all
Barrett -7, it's really not fair to play Adam here, he's not quick enough anymore and looked totally knackered but still ran his guts out. Looked more exposed by Moussa's wanderings than White does
Grant - 4, awful performance, just terrible. Kept giving the ball away, cost us the first goal
Macca - 8, another who was awol for the first 20 mins but when he woke up, by Christ did he! Had he kept it up throughout he'd have had a higher score, good passing AGAIN people and two decent shots on goal
Jeff - 9, my MOTM, as Lincoln Shrimp says, he's like Claude Makelele (he'd take that as a compliment). Strong on the ball and hassles and harries, love him
Moussa - 7, again quiet first 20, his goal seemed to be in slowmo with him the only one on real time! Took it well and it gave him some impetus after that. Got to stay more in position though until we get a settled LB
Barney - 8, another strong performance by Barney, not enough link play between him and Revs for me, felt he does that better with Dougie, but did everything asked of him except score and that wasn't for the want of trying
Revs - 8, same as Barney, had more chances than Barney and would ahve loved him to score, thought he took a knock after Barney went off so that'll be interesting

Subs:
Betsy for Grant - 7.5, came on and looked very dangerous. Opened up the flanks and gave us options. Needs a few starts I think
Sawyer for Jeff - 7, as mentioned above, in trouble with the ref very quickly
Walker for Barney - 6.5, didn't really notice him

Ref: 5, ok-ish, got a few wrong but don't they all? Favoured us for a period in the first half then Hull for the 2nd is how it felt. Free kick that gave them their 2nd was never a free kick, and there were several like that

Us: Well, I thought we were pretty good, we had some laughs and I particularly liked the "Grant, stop marking Franno!" comment from some wag.

Unfair on Mildy, his call was loud and he came out to collect it. M'Voto either didn't hear or didn't understand and tracked back into him. If anyone's fault it was M'Voto's, but it wasn't a big deal.

Unfair on Mildy, his call was loud and he came out to collect it. M'Voto either didn't hear or didn't understand and tracked back into him. If anyone's fault it was M'Voto's, but it wasn't a big deal.

No, I know that, if it had he'd have bollocked him. He should have made it crystal clear though, this was during the period when Mvoto hadn't settled down, and don't forget he and Heath had had similar problems in their first matches together.

No, I know that, if it had he'd have bollocked him. He should have made it crystal clear though, this was during the period when Mvoto hadn't settled down, and don't forget he and Heath had had similar problems in their first matches together.
absolutely!

In peace

Just to say what a great performance you guys put up last night. Gutsy, great passing just didn't have the luck in the final third (worried me at times!). Made an enjoyable match to watch. Keep it up and all the best for the season.

Just to say what a great performance you guys put up last night. Gutsy, great passing just didn't have the luck in the final third (worried me at times!). Made an enjoyable match to watch. Keep it up and all the best for the season.

Thank you, nice to hear it from an opposition pov. We enjoyed ourselves anyway, we always do on the road!

absolutely!

Blimey, I know I came and said hello last night but doesn't mean you have to start agreeing with me :whistling:

Thanks - always interesting to hear from other fans - don't be a "one-post" wonder!

Thanks, we save our best performances for the KC. Your lot sneaked past us in March 2007 too.

Back